Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:48:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

As a related aside, though this might be known to all, Heatwave's 'Boogie Nights' has vocals from one Clarke Peters, perhaps best known for playing Lester Freamon on 'The Wire' on it. I think he's the one giving it the deep "gotta keep on dancing" bit. Sure he's the male voice on Joan Armatrading's fab 'Love and Affection' too.

Head Gardener

It's probably not a thread on it's own but I learned tonight that John Miles passed away recently at 72. He was big for a bit in the mid 70's and his album Rebel is his best, he's probably most well known for this tune.

Kankurette

pigamus

Musical Youth had six top forty hits. Six!

Marvin Gaye is one of the backing vocalists on 'Back In The U.S.A.' by Chuck Berry (as is Etta James)

jenna appleseed

Van Dyke Parks arranged the strings for U2's All I Want Is You.

(replied to somebody's tweet mentioning that with "Fuck my hat I didn't know that", forgetting VDP was still tagged in & he liked it. Sorry for accidental cab leakage, but it's taken root in my head like a perfect normal everyday phrase. Double hat fuckage:  Van Dyke Parks is now aware of having your hat fucked. )

famethrowa

Quote from: jenna appleseed on January 02, 2022, 07:42:06 AMVan Dyke Parks arranged the strings for U2's All I Want Is You.

Also, John Paul Jones arranged all the (very American style) string parts for REM's Automatic For The People. These days it's not so surprising, but it was in 1993 when I only knew of JPJ as the bass player from that big dumb noisy 70s cock rock band.

boki

Quote from: jenna appleseed on January 02, 2022, 07:42:06 AM(replied to somebody's tweet mentioning that with "Fuck my hat I didn't know that", forgetting VDP was still tagged in & he liked it. Sorry for accidental cab leakage, but it's taken root in my head like a perfect normal everyday phrase. Double hat fuckage:  Van Dyke Parks is now aware of having your hat fucked. )

That's okay, we nicked it from Mark & Lard in the first place.

pigamus

It's not like it contains any obscure reference

Like, 'Holy Nerys Hughes, I'm shocked by this piece of news'

jenna appleseed

HS Art seems to traveled back in time to the 80s and recorded an X rated parody of Information Society
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djRRLQaqEfQ (NSFW - contains cum, lots of cum) eta: so much cum

so ott it's hilarious.
https://www.discogs.com/release/543936-Various-Sissy-Penis-Factory-Sex-In-The-House

Dr Rock

California Man by Cheap Trick? A cover of a The Move single. !

bigfatheart

They also chuck the riff from Brontosaurus into the instrumental break.

Quote from: jenna appleseed on January 02, 2022, 11:17:39 PMso ott it's hilarious.
https://www.discogs.com/release/543936-Various-Sissy-Penis-Factory-Sex-In-The-House

I can just about remember Everybody Fuck Now as a novelty from the time, I didn't know their was a whole album though. TBF some of the vocals are pretty close to the originals.

jenna appleseed

^ most of the rest of the tracks I bothered to listen to from discogs playlist were a bit grim/shit/dull - but the og Information/Sexual Society one & the beastie boys parody are (totally wrong but) great.

The name Sissy Penis Factory is funnier than their actual tracks - discogs says they were bonus tracks added to the cd from a different x-rated parody house music record.

Yep the vocals on Information Society and The Beastie Boys are surprisingly good.

The Marshall Jefferson "House Music Anthem" one is weird, I can't imagine who that appeals to.

The band are called Chumbawamba, not Chumbawumba!

Then why the fuck does everyone pronounce it Chumbawumba?

boki

Just found out, thanks to Carcass on their Facebook page, that Leslie Ash was one of the titular characters in the video for Iron Maiden's 'Women In Uniform'.

Peaky bonkers.

Artie Fufkin

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Popular science person Ben Goldacre is the son of Noosha Fox, lead singer from '70s S-S-S-Single Bed hitmakers Fox

JaDanketies

Moesha from the TV show Moesha is Rnb megastar Brandy, and is also Snoop Dogg's cousin

JaDanketies

Beyonce met Jay Z when she was 18 and he was 30, and they started dating a year later, the fucking nonce

turnstyle

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 06, 2022, 11:28:35 AMBeyonce met Jay Z when she was 18 and he was 30, and they started dating a year later, the fucking nonce

He's got 99 problems, but 'grass on the pitch' ain't one.

Spoiler alert
(Yeah I know this doesn't work because as 19 Beyonce had surely achieved puberty, and wasn't actually a literal child, but the pun was too good not to use)
[close]

JaDanketies

Quote from: turnstyle on January 06, 2022, 05:00:50 PMHe's got 99 problems, but 'grass on the pitch' ain't one.

Spoiler alert
(Yeah I know this doesn't work because as 19 Beyonce had surely achieved puberty, and wasn't actually a literal child, but the pun was too good not to use)
[close]

Was arguing with my fiancee about it and realised that all of the typical arguments for not fucking teenagers don't really work when they're an international multimillionaire megastar.

jenna appleseed

Rainbow did a retitled incredibly 80s synth & guitar instrumental cover of Walking In The Air from The Snowman back in '83 when The Snowman was still new. Little Aled Jones hadn't even covered it yet.

kalowski

Paul Simon taught songwriting classes at New York University during the summer of 1971 after Simon and Garfunkel split.

JesusAndYourBush

Hearing Elvis Costello speak right now on Graham Norton has fucked my hat.  His speaking voice is nothing like I imagined it would be.

popcorn

Quote from: kalowski on January 14, 2022, 11:15:51 PMPaul Simon taught songwriting classes at New York University during the summer of 1971 after Simon and Garfunkel split.

He talks about it in this 1970 interview (how great that it's on the Rolling Stone site now, as if it just came out last month).

I like this quote:

QuoteNobody teaches anything about popular music. You have to learn it on the street. I'd go to a course if the Beatles would talk about how they made records because I'm sure I could learn something. I was interested in talking to Dylan about how he wrote a song. I wanted to know if he was doing it like I was doing it, but I couldn't find out what he did.

famethrowa

Quote from: popcorn on January 15, 2022, 02:04:09 AMHe talks about it in this 1970 interview (how great that it's on the Rolling Stone site now, as if it just came out last month).

Very interesting.... what a dry, boring nerd he sounds like!

This is a good and true quote though:
QuoteYou can teach somebody about writing songs. You can't teach someone how to write a song

studpuppet

Robert Altman asked his 14 year old son to write the lyrics for 'Suicide is Painless' because he wanted it to sound like the "stupidest song ever written". Altman Jr. then went on to make $2m in royalties whereas his dad only made $70K for directing M*A*S*H, which really pissed his dad off.