Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:41:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Started by AngryGazelle, March 27, 2024, 10:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngryGazelle

I thought the Serkis trilogy was absolutely fantastic; surely one of the best trilogies out there? So I'm hoping this is good but I bet it won't be.

Wes Ball is directing and has said it won't be as sombre and brooding as the previous trilogy and that it will skew a little younger but not be 'Disneyfied'. He also said they have written it as part one of a trilogy but that he is fucking off after this one to direct Zelda.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Zelda? It's clear which game he should be adapting.

Dex Sawash

I will probably watch this as I liked the last 3 or is it 4 normal size monke films

kalowski

I'm really looking forward to it. Thought the reboot was brilliant, loads of lovely links to the original and a really compelling tale.
"Skew a little younger" worries me, though, I'd not heard that.
I just don't want them to muck it up.

surreal

Quote from: kalowski on March 30, 2024, 08:57:18 AMI'm really looking forward to it. Thought the reboot was brilliant, loads of lovely links to the original and a really compelling tale.
"Skew a little younger" worries me, though, I'd not heard that.
I just don't want them to muck it up.

They're definitely going to muck it up - as soon as I saw they trailer with the young (and inexplicably attractive given the circumstances) woman being the focus of the film I worry a lot of its grounding and gravitas will have gone. The original trilogy was fantastic, but I'm not expecting much more than a YA novel version for this one.

Mr Vegetables

Planet of the Angry Gazelle

Beneath the Planet of the Theoretical Dentist

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 27, 2024, 10:30:44 AMZelda? It's clear which game he should be adapting.

Underrated post. A wizball film would be brilliant, absolute git of a game

Kelvin

I really hope this film is good, so that I can spend the next three year deluding myself that Zelda will be good too.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: surreal on March 31, 2024, 10:22:50 PMThey're definitely going to muck it up - as soon as I saw they trailer with the young (and inexplicably attractive given the circumstances) woman being the focus of the film I worry a lot of its grounding and gravitas will have gone. The original trilogy was fantastic, but I'm not expecting much more than a YA novel version for this one.

Yeah, you've probably hit the nail on the head, there.

I really love the previous trilogy and although 'Rise' is weaker than the two that follow all three are absolute bangers. I just can't see this new one reaching the level the others did. At best it'll be decent.

Quote from: Kelvin on April 02, 2024, 06:14:28 PMI really hope this film is good, so that I can spend the next three year deluding myself that Zelda will be good too.
You convinced yourself that Batman V Superman was good.

Kelvin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 02, 2024, 11:06:04 PMYou convinced yourself that Batman V Superman was good.

I can't afford to watch the Zelda movie that many times, Claude.

fucking ponderous

Return of the Curse of the Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Midas

Wasn't a huge fan of the newer films, but they are vastly superior to the 1970s sequels, which I recently watched for the first time

Just terrible

Midas

I liked how the newer films reverse engineered elements of the original series into a storyline that had consistent continuity

kalowski

Quote from: Midas on Yesterday at 11:33:19 PMI liked how the newer films reverse engineered elements of the original series into a storyline that had consistent continuity
I did too. Aren't there some missing astronauts in the first one? Taylor and his crew.

Mister Six

The James Franco one was pretty mid, but the two Matt Reeves-directed sequels were excellent, some of the best mainstream (pushes spectacles up nose, snorts) actual cinema in the past couple of decades. You could feel the studio's discomfort with the third one though, with the shite comic relief Bad Ape character being about as funny as trench foot.

No Reeves = unsure about this one, TBH. The director's only done the (I'm reliably informed) naff YA Maze Runner films, and while the writer's resume has Spielberg's War of the Worlds and Brian De Palma's Black Dahlia, both of which I thought were decent enough, most of his work is in telly stuff that I haven't seen (Snowpiercer, which I think got mixed reviews, and Foundation, which is supposed to be all right).

The talk of it being lighter puts me off a bit, because the straightfaced grimness of the Reeves films was what I liked the most - it's so rare for a Hollywood film, even rarer for a good one - but I suppose you could say that the downfall of man is complete at this point and the apes are now in charge (kings, if you will), so the darkest stuff from a human POV actually is in the past now.

Haven't seen the trailer for ages, but isn't it doing the "scary gorilla, nice chimp" thing again? It's a bit mad how gorillas are always represented as the violent psychos when they're usually pretty chill in real life if you don't mess with them, while chimpanzees are cannibalistic, mutilating nutcases.

Midas

Quote from: kalowski on Yesterday at 11:41:46 PMI did too. Aren't there some missing astronauts in the first one? Taylor and his crew.

Aye, I think there were references to a manned expedition to Mars and a news broadcast about the spacecraft going missing

Midas

I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes without realising that there was actually supposed to be subtitles for the ape's sign language. On my copy, they were only visible if you manually activated the subtitles for all the film's dialogue. Spent half the film sat there like:

LordMorgan

I'm a wee bit disappointed by this.
I thought the newer trilogy was outstanding , loved all three, and I liked how the first one had the missing astronauts, and then the third one ended with the virus making humans mute. I was hoping then, for a big fuck off full circle reimagining / remake/ reboot of the original 1968 film