Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:09:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BOC ------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Started by chocky909, April 22, 2013, 08:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 03, 2013, 11:19:17 PM
Don't you take any FLAC from him!

He's clearly not on my WAVlength.

Also, with regards to that link, you need to edit 'White Cyclosa' and set it as track 3. Only just noticed that it was set to track 1.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on June 03, 2013, 11:20:42 PM
He's clearly not on my WAVlength.

Also, with regards to that link, you need to edit 'White Cyclosa' and set it as track 3. Only just noticed that it was set to track 1.

Already spotted and fixed. Cheers again, boss!

I was, ingrate that I am, hoping someone had ripped the video too.

Thanks for the heads up.

Pseudopath

Quote from: clingfilm portent on June 03, 2013, 11:23:16 PM
I was, ingrate that I am, hoping someone had ripped the video too.

Thanks for the heads up.

There really wasn't anything to see. A couple of grey flickers here and there, but mainly black nothingness.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Pseudopath on June 03, 2013, 11:26:51 PM
There really wasn't anything to see. A couple of grey flickers here and there, but mainly black nothingness.

Yep. I was expecting a full on video like that Adult Swim clip, but the album was good enough to excuse its absence.

mcbpete

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on June 03, 2013, 11:27:45 PM
Yep. I was expecting a full on video like that Adult Swim clip, but the album was good enough to excuse its absence.
Those were clips from the Reach For The Dead video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jTg-q6Drt0

I like it a lot. But there's far too much tease going on. Most of the standout tracks peak... then... sort of just end... fading out while giving you the sense that there was a lot more to hear. Anyone else get that impression? Cold Earth, Sick Times, Palace Posy, Split Your Infinites, Nothing Is Real, New Seeds, Come to Dust. All fantastic. Fuck, Nothing is Real should have been at LEAST a minute longer.

Pseudopath

Quote from: clingfilm portent on June 04, 2013, 02:02:40 PM
I like it a lot. But there's far too much tease going on. Most of the standout tracks peak... then... sort of just end... fading out while giving you the sense that there was a lot more to hear. Anyone else get that impression? Cold Earth, Sick Times, Palace Posy, Split Your Infinites, Nothing Is Real, New Seeds, Come to Dust. All fantastic. Fuck, Nothing is Real should have been at LEAST a minute longer.

Yeah...as much as I'm loving it, I can't shake the feeling that it might have worked better as a double album, with Semena Mertvykh as one of the opening tracks and an extra minute or two of craziness in the big hitters. They could have at least brought the beat back in at the end of Sick Times.

Squink

Pretty disappointed in this so far, although I'll reserve full judgement until I've heard a better quality copy. Just feels kind of nothingy. There's not a whole lot of depth there in the way that, say, that Haxan Cloak album from earlier this year had. This broadly feels in the same bracket as something like Umberto. Not necessarily a terrible place to be, it just feels like BoC could do so much more than that.

Benway

There's a very interesting interview in the Grauniad today. Apparently, video nasty soundtracks are an influence on Tomorrow's Harvest.

Edit: The interview also offers an explanation for the early track fade outs. Apparently, it was an intentional decision.

the psyche intangible

Quote from: clingfilm portent on June 04, 2013, 02:02:40 PM

https://soundcloud.com/strictly/boc-rftd-djfood-10min

The Βoston Crab

I got banned from another forum for suggesting that hidden messages don't count for much when you're only aware of them when the creators explicitly explain them to you. One guy claimed it really enhanced his appreciation of the music and made it a better album. He couldn't explain how or why though, he just banned me for suggesting that it was all a bit Emperor's New Clothes.

Thoughts? I'd happily take another ban.

McFlymo

I like BoC's use of mangled dialogue, hinting there's more going on underneath. There's something subliminal to it all, but I'm not sure if these 'structural patterns' add much. I.e. Their songs are quite repetitive, so I don't imagine it will grab my attention that the album is structured in a palindromic manner.

I've argued about this with musicians before: Encoding messages into the music... It can be fun and quirky. But, does the music rely on it? Is it enhanced by it?

On the other hand, I think it's possible to use patterns and multi-layered or encoded ideas in musical ways, such as clever lyrics, polyrhythms, how you orchestrate multiple instruments or melodies.

Quote"Some tracks deliberately finish earlier than you want them to"

:)

Looks like Bleep broke street-date. If you've preordered it from there; the full album went up a couple hours ago if you guys are interested in the high-quality version.

Joy Nktonga

A nice parcel with a weighty slab of double vinyl and a miniature version on CD has just been delivered by the postie! Quite excited - I've not heard anything from this yet apart from the early released track that was getting airplay. Going to head upstairs shortly to fire up the "big system".

Benway

Quote from: Bored of Canada on June 08, 2013, 11:05:47 AM
Looks like Bleep broke street-date. If you've preordered it from there; the full album went up a couple hours ago if you guys are interested in the high-quality version.

It still says the tenth for me, and there's nothing in my dashboard.

It's academic now, since my CD has just arrived.

Yep, my LP arrived this morning.
It is a glorious thing.
Dribble dribble drool drool.

Bobby Treetops

I having to mine delivered to work so I'm going to have till wait till Monday to get my hands on it.

How annoying.

The Βoston Crab

I got the Japanese one off what.cd on Wednesday, definitely a record which needs to be heard in full quality, real 3D mix, lots of trickery and instruments coming out of nowhere. Kind of the antithesis of RAM, which is - for me - a staggering natural production, as good as anything I've heard from that point of view. This showcases the excitement of a purely digital mix. It sounds artificial but that's the allure, and it's the life - or echoes of past life, perhaps - that they somehow bring to it which gets under your skin.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: The Βoston Crab on June 08, 2013, 02:41:32 PM
I got the Japanese one off what.cd on Wednesday, definitely a record which needs to be heard in full quality, real 3D mix, lots of trickery and instruments coming out of nowhere. Kind of the antithesis of RAM, which is - for me - a staggering natural production, as good as anything I've heard from that point of view. This showcases the excitement of a purely digital mix. It sounds artificial but that's the allure, and it's the life - or echoes of past life, perhaps - that they somehow bring to it which gets under your skin.

Does it have any extra tracks?

The Βoston Crab

I don't think so, it was just released earlier over there. It might do, though, I only listened to the stream rip once and sacked it off. Not read anything about extra tracks elsewhere though.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: The Βoston Crab on June 08, 2013, 03:12:23 PM
I don't think so, it was just released earlier over there. It might do, though, I only listened to the stream rip once and sacked it off. Not read anything about extra tracks elsewhere though.

Autreche always seem to add an extra track for their Japanese released albums, so being on Warp I thought maybe they'd do the same.

Subtle Mocking

The BoC extra tracks never really do much for me, and I have to separate them so as not to ruin the flow of the album. I like 'Happy Cycling' but it has no place on the end of MHTRTC. 'From One Source All Things Depend' is a pointless tack-on to Geogaddi, and 'Macquarie Ridge', though a lovely track, detracts from the sombre fade-out on TCH's 'Farewell Fire'.

Benway

I expect Bleep to go down any minute - I've just received email confirmation that the mp3s are up.