Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:56:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BOC ------ / ------ / ------ / XXXXXX / ------ / ------

Started by chocky909, April 22, 2013, 08:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

vinyl arrived yesterday and is so smart / I am such an arse, I don't want to take it out of the cellophane

Half a dozen listens later and I've got to say I'm completely bowled over by it at this point. I rate it amongst their best work.

gabrielconroy

Limmy does a listen-along here from about 19 mins, which is quite amusing:

http://vimeo.com/68096194

Yes that was a fun one. I was disproportionately happy that he liked it. What a sick man I am.

benthalo

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 09, 2013, 11:46:44 AM
vinyl arrived yesterday and is so smart / I am such an arse, I don't want to take it out of the cellophane

I've played mine twice. Naughty.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: clingfilm portent on June 11, 2013, 07:46:33 PM
Half a dozen listens later and I've got to say I'm completely bowled over by it at this point. I rate it amongst their best work.

Yeah, I've had it for a couple of weeks now and I've gone from indifferent to impressed. It's a slow burner and I'm glad I stuck with it. I'm really getting along with the bleaker moments on this as well. The sense of melancholy and uncertainty about the future that lies in the background of the entire album is probably the closest we'll get to BOC making any kind of political statement in their music.

ZoyzaSorris

I really like it. Just as an aside I recently recorded and mixed a mate of mine doing a 'rap' on Jacquards Causeway in a fun bootleg style. It works quite nicely with some vocals I think.
https://soundcloud.com/rupertcnut/tomorrows-ardest-ruperts?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook

Garam

I haven't listened to anything else in the 3 weeks since i've had it. The exact album I wanted right now.

Didn't think it was worth starting a new thread for this, but just thought I'd make any interested parties aware that Warp are re-issuing their Boards Of Canada back catalogue onto vinyl this week.

Think I'll be getting involved.

Drooooool.

https://bleep.com/boards-of-canada-reissues

Viero_Berlotti

Sold my original MHTRTC on vinyl for about £100 on eBay a few months ago. It will be nice to pick up another vinyl copy for £17.99

Serge

It's great to have these on vinyl at last, and the covers look bloody marvellous in their full 12" bloom. What does the braille sticker on 'Music Has...' say?

Now I just have to wait until November 18th to scoop the others up....

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Serge on October 20, 2013, 10:34:30 PM
What does the braille sticker on 'Music Has...' say?

Does it not say 'Skam Records'?

'Music Has..' was originally a joint release between Warp and Skam I think, and the braille sticker was a Skam thing. I remember other Skam records of the period had the braille sticker with them too.

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on October 20, 2013, 12:20:58 PM
Didn't think it was worth starting a new thread for this, but just thought I'd make any interested parties aware that Warp are re-issuing their Boards Of Canada back catalogue onto vinyl this week.

Think I'll be getting involved.

Drooooool.

https://bleep.com/boards-of-canada-reissues

I came on here just now to post about this. I pre-ordered these, slightly drunk, a few months ago and had forgotten about them. Went outside and was surprised to see a package on my doorstep. Got Music Has the The Right To Children, Geogaddi and Campfire Headphase, just waiting on A Beautiful Place out In the Country.

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on October 20, 2013, 11:13:33 PM
Does it not say 'Skam Records'?

'Music Has..' was originally a joint release between Warp and Skam I think, and the braille sticker was a Skam thing. I remember other Skam records of the period had the braille sticker with them too.

I only just noticed the Braille sticker. Nice touch. Just about to open these up. Oh man. Excited. It is a joint release between Warp and Skam though.

EDIT: Chriiiist. That Geogaddi case is a thing of beauty.

Quote from: Serge on October 20, 2013, 10:34:30 PM
What does the braille sticker on 'Music Has...' say?

I hopped onto a Braille Alphabet thing and translated it.
It actually says
Spoiler alert
"Boards of Canada"
[close]

EDIT: Side six is interesting of Geogaddi. Always wondered about the Magic Window track.

thraxx

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on October 20, 2013, 04:13:37 PM
Sold my original MHTRTC on vinyl for about £100 on eBay a few months ago. It will be nice to pick up another vinyl copy for £17.99

Some one half-inched my original copy of MHTRTC - a so called mate, and they downright deny it, even though I know it is them.  They also took my original pressing of Corduroy's High Havoc and Wowee Zowee by Pavement.  Even worse, when I ordered Geogaddi from Rough Trade they sent me the DC in error and then had no Vinyls copies left.  I'm looking forward to getting my repressings this week.

I decided to treat myself and went down to my local indie this morning and bought all 3 albums.  They are lovely things indeed.

Quote from: Bored of Canada on October 21, 2013, 03:55:13 AM
Side six is interesting of Geogaddi. Always wondered about the Magic Window track.

Me too.  Completely grooveless, just a spooky etching!

Serge

Quote from: Bored of Canada on October 21, 2013, 02:06:45 AMEDIT: Chriiiist. That Geogaddi case is a thing of beauty.

Isn't it? It looks amazing. And thanks for the translation of the braille - didn't Stevie Wonder used to put his name in braille on the cover of his albums? I'm sure I read that somewhere, though none of my (admittedly later repressings) seem to have any.

I did notice that side six only had 'Magic Window' listed, so it was a nice surprise to see the etching.

Subtle Mocking

EDIT: Should have fact-checked before posting. Ignore, plz.

Quote from: Serge on October 21, 2013, 12:32:05 PM
Isn't it? It looks amazing. And thanks for the translation of the braille - didn't Stevie Wonder used to put his name in braille on the cover of his albums? I'm sure I read that somewhere, though none of my (admittedly later repressings) seem to have any.

I did notice that side six only had 'Magic Window' listed, so it was a nice surprise to see the etching.

Been going through old vinyls Dad had and I just checked over an original pressing of Songs in the Key of Life from the mid-to-late 70's. Can't find any braille on it anywhere. Just investigated. This was an Australian release, maybe a limited number of Initial US ones had Braille on them? Or maybe it's purely just his earlier releases. Or maybe it's all just lies. All it would take is a quick google search and we'd know, but honestly, I just can't be arsed and I prefer the mystery. 

Also, I just noticed I got a bunch of cards with 'em, have codes for the MP3 downloads of the three albums. I've already got digital copies, I'm happy to pass those on to someone who wants them, as this is the only way to get fast and accessible MP3's for free off the internet of your favourite bands.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Bored of Canada on October 22, 2013, 01:32:04 PM
I'm happy to pass those on to someone who wants them, as this is the only way to get fast and accessible MP3's for free off the internet of your favourite bands.

Ooh, I'll take you up on that, BoC.  I've got (and love) Tomorrow's Harvest and would love to hear their other albums.  If I like them, I'll buy the vinyls anyway.

Serge

Re: Stevie Wonder. I've just done a quick google (sorry to ruin the mystery), and it seems it was earlier pressings of 'Talking Book' which had a braille message - going by it's general nick, I'm guessing mine is from the eighties sometime, so definitely doesn't have it (though I did just go and double check!) Also 'Secret Life Of Plants' apparently had the title in braille on the cover too.

Funcrusher

Just pulled out my copy of 'Talking book' vinyl. It has what I guess is his name and the album title in braille, plus braille inside the gatefold which I guess is the track listing.

re: braille.

All/most stuff put out by skam records, who shared MHTRTC as a joint release, comes with a braille sticker. Just in case anyone thought of it as some quirky, enigmatic move by the 'bros' themselves.

Or did everyone know that?

I was a little disappointed to realise that Geogaddi doesn't begin with "From One Source All Things Depend". Didn't realise that was purely the Japanese version that had that track. For me, it's just the perfect thing to start that track off.

Geogaddi still has that aching feeling of nostalgia that all Boards has, but it also has the most menace to it, I feel. Boards are always that weird mood of sweet and unsettling, but Geogaddi seems like their most directly creepy album, and I've grown to hugely love it. But I wish this re-release had started with that afore-mentioned track.

It's such a lovely little thing to start it all up and sink you into this mood. 

the psyche intangible

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Bored of Canada on October 25, 2013, 08:47:05 AM
I was a little disappointed to realise that Geogaddi doesn't begin with "From One Source All Things Depend". Didn't realise that was purely the Japanese version that had that track. For me, it's just the perfect thing to start that track off.

Geogaddi still has that aching feeling of nostalgia that all Boards has, but it also has the most menace to it, I feel. Boards are always that weird mood of sweet and unsettling, but Geogaddi seems like their most directly creepy album, and I've grown to hugely love it. But I wish this re-release had started with that afore-mentioned track.

It's such a lovely little thing to start it all up and sink you into this mood.

Wait, you listen to it at the beginning? I've always loved hearing it at the end,, a bit like the closing moments of a dream after Corsair/Magic Window.

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on October 25, 2013, 11:56:08 AM
Wait, you listen to it at the beginning? I've always loved hearing it at the end,, a bit like the closing moments of a dream after Corsair/Magic Window.

I do, I think it's intended for the end, but I'm a maverick.
I prefer it to end on a more downbeat note, the uneasy malice of You Could Feel the Sky's dick-slapping washes into Corsair's soft waves of noise, then silence. 

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Bored of Canada on October 25, 2013, 12:30:55 PM
I do, I think it's intended for the end, but I'm a maverick.
I prefer it to end on a more downbeat note, the uneasy malice of You Could Feel the Sky's dick-slapping washes into Corsair's soft waves of noise, then silence.

I love the track but I do often cut it out altogether to get that effect. I've taken Happy Cycling off MHTRTC entirely, never liked that being tacked onto the end of that album. Same with Macquarie Ridge, another lovely track that just doesn't fit after the melancholy Farewell Fire.