Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:01:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why does Spotify always play the same music?

Started by Barry Admin, March 21, 2024, 02:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Those This Is Whoever playlists are pretty good if you're curious about an artist and want a general overview. I had a World Party one on after Karl Wallinger died.

kngen

If I play my 'Liked Songs' (of which there are about 1,500) for around an hour, Spotify will, unfailingly, play GG Allin's Bite It You Scum at least once. It's very odd, and I suspect there may be some background tampering by a bored coder for it to come up so often. It's rarely unwelcome though. One of the silly sod's best songs, for sure.

Kankurette

Finetime by Cast is the one I always get if I play something indie from the '90s.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Kankurette on March 23, 2024, 06:55:41 PMFinetime by Cast is the one I always get if I play something indie from the '90s.

Hard to imagine a greater argument against Spotify than that.

Kankurette

I have Finetime on my main playlist tbf. If I play metal I get Dragula.

WhoMe

If it's not your sole source of music Spotify is perfectly fine I think. It can box you in if you let it. I know a lot of artists think it's the death of the industry and that but, half the time, I'm aware of them because of Spotify in the first place. For me it's essentially a shop window, I've bought records and gig tickets off the back of it. Gonna go and see a Mongolian Folk/Jazz musician called Enji in May, would've probably never heard of her outside of the Spotify recommendation.

Mr_Simnock

'algorithms' give you more of the same, it's all they can ever do

dontpaintyourteeth

I do find it a bit vexing when people act like the only way they can access music is on Spotify, if I'm honest

madhair60

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 25, 2024, 04:11:12 PMI do find it a bit vexing when people act like the only way they can access music is on Spotify, if I'm honest

I don't think anyone does, could you give an example?

madhair60

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 25, 2024, 04:17:06 PMI don't think anyone does, could you give an example?

Yes, whenever anything is removed from spotify people on lastfm usually cry about not being to listen to it anymore. However I've had the sarcy madhair reply already so I assume it's just me that has noticed this, which is fine.

Kankurette

It's not like I go to festivals much these days.

madhair60

honestly dpyt that "respect" post was meant to go in an entirely different thread, but i stand by it

NoSleep

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 22, 2024, 09:04:24 PM@NoSleep You seen this?!

No I hadn't (not really a user of Spotify; it has interesting gaps in catalogues, so I still like to acquire albums myself), but I might use it to remind me of gaps in my own collection of Miles.

I started out as a teenage fan of his current releases at the time (starting with Live/Evil) because they fitted with some of my other listening, which included Hendrix, Lifetime, Mahavishnu, Santana, Return to Forever, Soft Machine, Egg, Gong, Hatfield. It was years before I started to explore his earlier stuff, but it's still the Electric Miles period that I truly connect with; Agharta, Dark Magus, Get Up With It, Bitches Brew Live and especially Live/Evil.