Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Improving Internet at Home (Emby TV)- tips?

Started by Minami Minegishi, November 08, 2023, 07:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minami Minegishi

So, you might get remember that I was living in a cabin during the summer and needed to extend my internet from the main house. Well, my wife and I started finding it too cold so now we are renting a place a couple of houses away.

We had the internet installed today and it's very, very fast, which is great. However, this is an old stone cottage with ridiculous walls. The actual router is only in the next room but I've noticed a considerable drop in speed running Emby on my Samsung TV.

I used to have the TV LAN connected to the router. It was really quick. Now it's super-sluggish.

Should I LAN connect the laptop running the Emby server and leave it in the other room and hope the WiFi will be better? At the moment both laptop and TV are next to each other but as they are both drawing off the same WiFi I wondered if it would be less efficient?

I did used to use those BT plug extenders that use your house wiring to extend from the router for a LAN connection without the need for cables running across the floor. I might dig those out.

Any tips?

Sebastian Cobb

I'd definitely plug the laptop in if you can, no reason have wifi degrading the signal in both directions. And if you've got those powerline adaptors and the tv has an ethernet port then might as well, too.

I use Jellyfin myself which was forked from Emby at some point and have moved to a tenement with brick walls and have a similar problem, although the tv is in a bay window which given its location to the AP in the next room along means the signal might sort of be obscured by several bits of wall/signal going diagnoally through it.

Anyway my wireless ap is separate from the router and can be powered by the ethernet cable and I've got a roll of shielded cat 6 that's supposedly good for running outdoor CCTV cameras so I'm probably going to run a cable outside between two windows as a temporary solution that won't upset the landlord.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 08, 2023, 07:18:53 PMI'd definitely plug the laptop in if you can, no reason have wifi degrading the signal in both directions. And if you've got those powerline adaptors and the tv has an ethernet port then might as well, too.

Thanks Sebastian. The only issue with putting the laptop in the next room (kitchen) is then I have my TV pulling my Emby media over WiFi from a laptop that is now separated by a two foot wall. So yeah, time to dig out those adaptors.

QuoteI use Jellyfin myself which was forked from Emby at some point and have moved to a tenement with brick walls and have a similar problem, although the tv is in a bay window which given its location to the AP in the next room along means the signal might sort of be obscured by several bits of wall/signal going diagnoally through it.

Not heard of that - I've tried Plex but did not get on with it. It's not perfect but I love my Emby. Shit-tons of files that my TV could not play straight from the hard drive are now fine because Emby does that transcoding thing. I do worry about signal issues. The TV is literally about 3-feet away from the router, unfortunately a wall is in-between them.

QuoteAnyway my wireless ap is separate from the router and can be powered by the ethernet cable and I've got a roll of shielded cat 6 that's supposedly good for running outdoor CCTV cameras so I'm probably going to run a cable outside between two windows as a temporary solution that won't upset the landlord.

Are you going to run them through open windows, or drill?

Sebastian Cobb

I'm hoping the seals will give enough to let the wires through.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 08, 2023, 10:16:36 PMI'm hoping the seals will give enough to let the wires through.

Good luck! Sounds like a decent solution.