Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:10:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vivien Leigh, 50 years dead today - which means...

Started by Keebleman, July 08, 2017, 01:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

...that Olivia de Havilland has outlived all the key personnel on Gone With The Wind by at least half a century!

Clark Gable (Rhett Butler) - died 1960
Leslie Howard (Ashley Wilks) - died 1943 (shot down by the Germans)
Victor Fleming (director) - died 1949
Sam Wood (stood in as director when Fleming was ill) - died 1949
David O Selznick (producer) - died 1965
Sidney Howard (screenwriter) - died 1939, before filming had finished (crushed by his own tractor)
Margaret Mitchell (author of novel) - died 1949

George Cukor was the original director, sacked after two weeks and not credited, and he didn't die until 1983, and the three DoPs and composer Max Steiner all lived into the 70s, but let's not take anything away from Ms de Havilland and her very impressive lack of death.

mothman

But I submit to you that Hattie McDaniel (d. 1952) should be on this list.

How many are there left from that era? Olivia de H, Kirk Douglas...

Keebleman

Quote from: mothman on July 08, 2017, 08:47:37 AM
But I submit to you that Hattie McDaniel (d. 1952) should be on this list.

How many are there left from that era? Olivia de H, Kirk Douglas...

And Thomas Mitchell too (Scarlett's father, died 1962), but I didn't want to come across as a nerd.

The only other significant star of the era I can think of is Mickey Mouse, but he doesn't really count.

OdH has a significant edge over Kirk though because she was a genuine A-list star before the war, so she is true Golden Age.  He's a bit too modern.

Andy147

There's a handy list here of the "200 Oldest Living Screen Stars of Note".

Genevieve

Thomas Mitchell lived to 70, a fair innings; Ona Munson is the one you missed.  Poor Vivien Leigh, Peter Finch should have married her.  Here's a good interview featuring her: https://youtu.be/4c6kR9ORqUc