Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:07:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

So, Peter Greenaway then

Started by Namtab, July 21, 2017, 02:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Namtab

Just watched The Falls and it's gloriously, self-indulgently bonkers. What are people's thoughts on the man?

zomgmouse

I will echo what I said in this thread: the man is a master.

Glebe

I've only seen The Cook, The Thief..., but it was very good. I do remember watching a bit of The Draughtsman's Contract on C4 as a kid, though.

Sin Agog

I think, being the progeny of a chip fat oil-guzzling working class mother, I find myself identifying more with Derek Jarman's emotionally cathartic vein of craziness than Greenaway's middle-class remove.  I absolutely adore British arthouse films (seriously, watch every single film in the BFI Flipside series), but I guess Greenaway's too similar to the type of person whose company I actively try to avoid.  I can definitely see the artistry in a few of his things like A Zed & Two Noughts, but the raw vitality- the loudly beating heart- I seek for in my arthouse is absent.  Or, y'know, to quote Alan Parker on the Draughtsman's Contract:
Quote from: Alan ParkerA load of posturing poo-poo.

mobias

I like him. Cinema would be a dull place without the likes of Greenaway. I think that point is missed by the likes of Ridley Scott and Alan Parker who have in the past been weirdly obsessed with hating him.

I watched a bit of Prospero's Books recently. No idea what the fuck is going on but its just gorgeous to look at and the music is amazing.

Quote from: Glebe on July 21, 2017, 03:40:10 PM
I've only seen The Cook, The Thief..., but it was very good. I do remember watching a bit of The Draughtsman's Contract on C4 as a kid, though.

Drowning by Numbers if the other 'easy' Greenaway of that era to watch. Its very enjoyable and not too demanding.