Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,780
  • Total Topics: 106,776
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:54:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kid's Comics

Started by Marcus Or Relius, April 12, 2004, 08:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"
There's a great Ball Boy strip in my 1987 Beano annual where they get a Brazillian boy to play for them, and the opposition refuse to play because he's too good, so they paint his face white and give him a blonde wig, and he's accepted again.

Which at least is more plausible then the story that happened every week in "Billy's Boots". You'd think he'd finally tell his Grandmother not to touch/move/throw away those manky old clogs.

On a football note, I'd just like to mention my favourite childhood comic strip "Hot Shot Hamish and Mighty Mouse". How they and many others fell by the wayside with the Premier League revolution. Sky TV has a lot to answer for, not least Roy Race's left foot. Bastards.

Jemble Fred

I used to work for the ex-editor of Whizzer & Chips. He was a twat. I found it quite upsetting to think how lifeless and anti-creative the W&C offices must have been.

Marcus Or Relius

At primary school we were allowed to watch a documentary about how comics were made. The Beanos offices looked great, just a load of young guys who sat about at desk who spent most of the time just reading newpapers and magazines to get ideas, and generally having a great time being paid to to be big kids. At least that what it seemed like anyway.

the urban guerrilla

didn't oink just have loads of jokes about farts and shit

phoresy

Quote from: "the urban guerrilla"didn't oink just have loads of jokes about farts and shit

Yes but it was pig farts and pig shit. I thought it was great, when I could get hold of a copy.

dan dirty ape

Wasn't Marc 'Lard' Riley an Oink affiliate of some description?

the urban guerrilla

he's about as funny as that comic was

Lewis

I used to love 'Oink!' as a kid and had every single copy, including all the holiday specials and annuals... most of which I've lost over the years. sob. Still got a dozen or so left though and still find them really funny. I was about 7 or 8 years old when that comic was out... no wonder I've grown up to be such a disturbed individual.

Yeah, Marc 'Lard' Riley was a cartoonist for Oink, he wrote 'Harry the head' amongst others and also starred in some of the photo stories (mostly as a burgler). Patrick Gallagher, the Oink editor, was also a writer / production assistant on Mark and Lard's show. Charlie Brooker was also a cartoonist, penning the 'trigger happy cop' cartoon, whose name escapes me now.

morgs

I took it all very seriously being a Chip-Ite rather than a Whizz-Kid...  Also read Beano, Beezer, Topper but never the Dandy. It looked crap and dated.

DOOMLORD in the Eagle.  Hasn't someone scanned them all online yet?

Z/Sb

Z/Sb

Z/Sb

kidsick5000

Dandy was indeed shit. I used to get it as my weekly comic (do kids still do that?) but without it, Viz just wouldnt have happened.

My main memory of Dandy is the epic Desperate Dan afraid of flies saga.  Went on for ages.

The IPC/ Fleetway were better. The Bumpkin billionaires was fantastic. I still think of that very fondly.  

All of them were basically the one joke premise repeated for eternity, but Monster Fun (Strange Hill etc) apart, Whizzer and Chips are genius. The creativity poiled into a single panel of Sweeney Toddler puts a lot of modern 'animation-style' comics to shame. Hell, it put a lot of DC Thompsons stuff to shame as well.

Love them man.

And for people of a certain age, their is still a desire for a plate of bangers and mash with the potato piled up and the bangers sticking out of it like horns.
Either that, or £10 for a slap up meal.

MojoJojo

I read the new Eagle, and continued reading it when it get merged it that girly magazine.
I remember Oink. Still get the flexible record free gift they gave away with one issue, which had a pig parody of that, erm, 80s song. I just remember the line "Don't push me, because I'm close to the Edggggeee"

I also read "The Real Ghostbusters" comic, and remember being very annoyed with my brother when he vomited all over it in the car... and having a discussion as to why he should of vomited onto his lap instead of onto my comic.

king mob

Quote from: "Z/Sb"Actually, I'm sure Huzzie's dad is Tony Husband who was actually one of the main people behind "Oink!" and wrote & drew some of the best strips... I spoke to him once in the bad old days of AOL messenger - I think I acted a bit of a twat because I thought it was Huzzie fucking about. I'm still not entirely sure if it wasn't Huzzie!

Huzzie's dad is indeed Tony Husband & the same Tony Husband who draws the Yobs strip in Private Eye as well.

Leo Baxendale was responsible for most of the classic strips in Beano( Bash St Kids, Minnie The Minx, etc) but no longer does anything for DC Thompson  as they were wankers to him.
Sadly he still wont work for them, even under the new happier regieme they have now.

http://www.reaper.co.uk/