Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:47:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Exeter City 0 Brazil 1

Started by Partridge's Love Child, June 01, 2004, 11:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
On the day where Claudio Ranieri is in search of a new job, and all romance in the beautiful game seems to be dead, spare a thought for Exeter City, who were guests at St James' Park on Saturday, though were technically the home team, as they played the 1994 World Cup winning team from Brazil.

Brazil celebrate their 1994 World Cup win, yesterday.

Brazil's 1-0 win, courtesy of a Careca penalty, finally found a winner betweens these two footballing giants, as, believe it or not, there had been a previous game between the two sides that had ended in a 3-3 stalemate.  Without researching it, I think I can safely say that the both teams fielded an entirely different 11 for the re-match, as the previous encouter had been contested some 90 years ago on 21 July 1914.  Though Dunga must be getting on bit now.

Quote from: "[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/sport/2004/may/brazil.shtmlOooh arr, BBCi in Devon[/url]"]A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. Brazil, as we know, went on to become the best team in the world, packed with the most talented players.

While Exeter City, who were just 10-years-old and in the Southern League back in 1914, have since fallen on hard times, both on and off the pitch.

Last year, they were relegated from the Nationwide Football League and are now in the Nationwide Conference.

They are also heavily in debt, which is why the 90th anniversary re-match between the Brazil Masters side and the current Exeter team was so important.

I think that this is a rather lovely story, and top marks to so many of the Brazillian stars for turning up to play.  I'm sure Exeter City would've been happy with a bunch of Brazilian second-stringers, but the likes of Dunga - the captain in '94, and Careca, who was their supposed star in 1990, took the trip to raise cash for the troubled club.  (Perhaps Chelsea's  Adrian Mutu should consider a bit of charity, but that's another story.)

If anyone can find the full Brazil team from Saturday's game, I wouldn't mind a look.  I thought Leonardo was the best player at USA '94 until he elbowed that fellow in the face.

Quote from: "[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/exeter_city/3763163.stmBBCi[/url]"]The only goal came when Dan Clay was adjudged to have fouled Silas

Silas sounds like someone from Devon - are they quite sure of their facts?  It's all rather shirehorses and tractors is "Silas".  Was Taffarel in goal, or did they use Jedediah Skoffcruddle?

Pinball

What a great thing for those fine Brazilian chaps to do!

king mob

Mildly Diverting

*Cards on table* I support Torquay United. The employees of Exeter City Football Club and, indeed, the supporters of aforementioned football team have been and will ever continue to be minions of Satan. *Retrieves cards*

I suppose it's quite a nice story and I did like the result.

phes

It is a nice thing for them to do, it's not charity on their part though. They are paid for their services, in fact I think that's how they make their living now.

tony peanuts

Slightly bizarre.  But not quite as odd as  when Michael Jackson visited to officially re-open the grounds at the behest of his bestest pal Uri Gellar and was made an honorary director.  Uri invested in and became co-director of Exeter City some time before.  He apparently felt a connection with the club because his son had possibly spent time in Exeter in a previous life.  
People who watched I'm A Celebrity... may remember that Uri's luxury item was an Exeter City shirt, which he wore on Michael Jackson's birthday because "they're his favourite team."  Incidently, because of confusion over the time difference in the australian jungle, Uri in fact got the day wrong and wore the shirt a day early.  
Some bloody psychic he is.

Exeter is my home town, and many are the fond memories of laughing at the players and starting inappropriate chants.  Unfortunately I stopped following them some time ago on account of them being shite.  Nice story about Brazil though.