Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:00:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

3 day week - fuel rationing.

Started by danielreal2k, June 03, 2004, 03:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danielreal2k

You know when you were at school, and they used to talk about "oh fosil fuels will run out in the future" and never paid much attention to it with the casual "ahwell  bah!!! that's in the future   why worry about it"   well...
Maybe that day has come?  has it I don;t know   ... oh dear  

QuoteBritain could be put on a three-day week, drivers could face
bans or face petrol rationing and sporting events like Wimbledon could be
cancelled.

Mr Darling told Today he had not seen the document referred to in the Daily
Express, but conceded that "lots of very clever people in the civil service"
spend a lot of time considering difficulties like this.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3772337.stm

I'd like to think so; we need something to break our reliance on cars.

smoker

seems like al quaeda have latched on to their best idea yet: attack the oil infrastructure in saudi arabia and send the west into a huge economic slump, panic ensues

doesn't saudi arabia produce 80% of the world's oil? the saud family come across as hideously corrupt and oppressive. and the west keep them in power by swapping their oil for weapons. no wonder some of them felt like hopping aboard a jumbo and flying it into a building

hencole

I'm hoping oil prices will continue pushing up by about 50% of what they currently are. Not disasterous, but very serious and enough to kick start a more substainable future. I am dreaming fool.

smoker

it's not just fuels though is it? oil is used in so many things, food, packaging, chemicals, manufacturing. i think we're too late to look for a solution now. most people have never evn heard of the peak oil debate. when the oil runs out or shoots up in price, it'll be chaos

danielreal2k

So tits up then   it is..

I thought the fuel hike in prices would be a result of terrorist attacks, but the added fact that supplies are running out doesn't help the situ.

anyone know where I can buy a car that runs on water, fresh air or piss?

Speciality meat product

I think Rover are working on the new piss-drive system.

Failing that, i've heard bicycles don't need petrol.

MojoJojo

Quote from: "hencole"I'm hoping oil prices will continue pushing up by about 50% of what they currently are. Not disasterous, but very serious and enough to kick start a more substainable future. I am dreaming fool.

Bah, maybe that is the point behind high fuel duties... the government can keep fuel prices stable  pretty much by lowering duty.

Quite a useful buffer, really.

QuoteFailing that, i've heard bicycles don't need petrol.

And neither does sprinting everywhere, which I'm going to take up when the time comes.

Timmay

Yes, I'm going to cycle or sprint the 130 mile roundtrip to work when the oil runs out. I'll leave after work on Friday night and get to work by Monday morning.

Ah yes, didn't think it through.  I only need to commute from the bedroom to downstairs, which is a comfortable sprint, though you need to watch out for the bend in the stairs which is tricky when taken at speed.

...what the fuck am I talking about?  Avoiding work, sorry.

hencole

Quote from: "Timmay"Yes, I'm going to cycle or sprint the 130 mile roundtrip to work when the oil runs out. I'll leave after work on Friday night and get to work by Monday morning.

We won't need the likes of you when the oil runs out.

Timmay

El Unicornio, mang

I would definetly be in favour of higher petrol prices, at least here. Prices are currently about $2 (just over a quid) per gallon, and you still get these idiots complaining about the prices, these people who have never been on public transport in their life and who use their cars to drive to the end of the street because they're too lazy to walk. I'd like to see fuel rationing just to see what these people do. I honestly think they'd die, unable to shift their fat arses because they can't handle the thought of walking to a bus stop and being in a vehicle with other people.
Grrrrrrr.

Speciality meat product

Well it's not much different here, to be honest. Once you're used to using a car every day, it's difficult to get out of that habit and start using public transport. Or even your feet!

I reckon even if prices do keep on rising, people won't stop using their cars. Nothing short of a complete lack of fuel will do that.

QuoteI'd like to see fuel rationing just to see what these people do

Exactly, it would be gratifying to shit these car obsessives up a bit.  The number of times you hear "the lack of parking" being used as a reason not to develop some flats, or use offices as an interview centre for asylum seekers.  And no you can't ban parking on the (narrow) main road near my house to make the access for buses easier because then people would have to walk to the shops etc etc.  arrrgggh.

...I am currently thinking of buying a car and if I do I will be changing my views accordingly.

hencole

I'm thinking of making a large batch of adhesive stickers to put on all 4x4's saying 'What fuel crisis?'. Or alternatively I may just scratch it on with a key.

butnut

Quote from: "hencole"I'm thinking of making a large batch of adhesive stickers to put on all 4x4's saying 'What fuel crisis?'. Or alternatively I may just scratch it on with a key.

Let's start a secret underground group that runs around Chelsea and Fulham destroying all those 4x4s owned by sluts.

QuoteLet's start a secret underground group that runs around Chelsea and Fulham destroying all those 4x4s owned by sluts.

I'm not that far from there, I'll join you if you like.  Can we have another sticker to put on the destroyed car that reads "We have destroyed your car because a) it is shit and too big and b) because you are a slut"?  Just so's they know.

butnut

I'm sure someone here can mong such a thing for us. We can then print it off and begin work.

smoker

i will personally give you £10 each for every range rover you destroy, so long as there is a photo of one of you stood next to each smouldering wreck

danielreal2k

I see your £10 and raise you  £100 for every speed cam destroyed.

Crazy Penis

Can someone do one for me that says 'You're car is fucking tiny in comparison to mine so that means that I need more room than you when we are driving in opposite directions between rows of parked cars you inconsiderate dopper, and is there any chance that we could split the cost of my two new wing mirrors between us and what was that I could see the guy behind me mouthing at you'

On a more serious note, has anyone heard about the fuel boycott this year? Apparently someone was branded a genius for coming up with the idea of only boycotting BP and Shell in order to get them to reduce their prices first. I wish they had of chosen Texaco because there aren't any BP or Shell in my area and I was hoping for an empty forecourt to drive on to.

Speciality meat product

I don't see the point of these 'boycott BP and Shell' e-mails that I see going round. The fuel companies don't make a great deal of profit from the fuel you buy, when compared to the amount which is tax.

What are they expecting BP and Shell to do? Subsidise the tax themselves!? They can't really bring prices down by more than a couple of pence per litre.

Quote'You're car is fucking tiny in comparison to mine...

hang on a minute- how big is your car, exactly and are you a slut?  "The Organisation" as we are now known may have to pay you a visit.

smoker

since when are sluts bad anyway? sluttier the better i say, vroooooooooooommmmmmmmm

hencole

Quote from: "Mr Greedy"I don't see the point of these 'boycott BP and Shell' e-mails that I see going round. The fuel companies don't make a great deal of profit from the fuel you buy, when compared to the amount which is tax.

What are they expecting BP and Shell to do? Subsidise the tax themselves!? They can't really bring prices down by more than a couple of pence per litre.

Thats just what it says on the tin 'A chain letter'. Sometimes its BP and Shell sometimes its Esso. Therefore made up by some cretin to waste peoples time. I've already sent a counter one round at work explaining supply and demand economics to these cretins who keep sending me them, and that by not buying petrol from them will make the others put up their prices. Where do they think Sainsburys and Tesco get their fuel from in the first place anyway?

swinny

Have received the "boycott Esso and BP" email a few times myself now and its start to get annoying...its always some stupid kneejerk reaction that someone spouts out without thinking things through...I was talking with a mate about it the other day saying "but surely if they are so greedy as the email suggests, then they are just as likely to raise the price in order to maintain their profit levels - giving a green light for the other companies to follow suit?"...but of course, as has already been pointed out - its the governments share of the price thats the real killer, something which the proposed boycott completly ignores.

I also find it bizarre that these protests are about how much money people have to spend - try telling any fuel protestor type person "well, give it 20 years and a few pence on a litre of petrol is gonna be the least of your worries" and they go off on some huge rant about what seems to be their god-given right to use up oil reserves and pollute the atmosphere.

I own a car so I'm just as bad at times - the price is ridiculous when you consider how little seems to come back into the transport system to atually provide car alternatives and/or maintaining a decent road system...but I like to think I have some perspective in that I'd rather something was done now (and I dont mean raising prices!) to try and educate the populace about just what the consequences of our current petrol based economy and greed is going to lead to within our own lifetimes....of course, thats probably not a vote winner so instead it'll be ignored by politicians for a good few decades to come - when its all too late.

Crazy Penis

Quote from: "sick as a pike"
Quote'You're car is fucking tiny in comparison to mine...

hang on a minute- how big is your car, exactly and are you a slut?  "The Organisation" as we are now known may have to pay you a visit.

My car isn't big or a 4x4 it's just big in comparison to a Cinquecento, or Yaris and such. I tried being a male slut once but my skin turned out to be sensitive to being slapped.
You can come round and key my car if you promise to key my next door neighbour for not talking to me since I moved in, or even before that. I think she might be a slut because a man goes round disguised as a boyfriend every now and again.