Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:55:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

the cheekiest thing on earth....

Started by mayer, June 04, 2004, 11:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayer

Ariel Sharon is sacking two Cabinet Members in an attempt to get his Gaza Withdrawal Plan through......

by law a Minister is formally fired 48 hours after receiving notice... the Cabinet vote is on Sunday Afternoon

NU Party Member Benny Elon, has "gone into hiding", pretended not to know he's been fired, and will turn up to vote on Sunday.

the Beeb's take on it

the best quote of the whole affair...

"He told Israel Radio that he had received a call from someone who sounded like the prime minister - but that he could not be sure if it was Mr Sharon or a comedian who impersonates him."

i'll bet it was that Rory Bremners!

mayer

Quote from: "jpost"The Prime Minister's Office issued a statement Friday saying that they do not intend to hire detectives to find National Union Minister Benny Elon, Israel Radio reported.

Cabinet secretary Yisrael Maimon spoke Friday morning with all Israeli Cabinet ministers, informing them of prime minister Ariel Sharon's decision to dismiss Transportation Minister Avigdor Lieberman and Tourism Minister Benny Elon.

Once all the ministers were informed, as is demanded by Israeli law, messengers were sent to Elon and Lieberman's homes with their letters of dismissal. "According to the protocols of the law I have decided to relieve you of your post, as is my right as prime minister," the terse letters said. Lieberman received his dismissal letter while working out at a gym near Jerusalem. Elon was not at home a the time the messenger arrived, and has not yet received his notice.

Elon told Israel Radio he would do all he could to avoid receiving it. He claimed he would not accept a phone notification, since he could not be certain it was in fact the Prime Minister speaking to him and not "Yatzpan" (a popular comedian famous for his impersonations of Israeli politicians).

"I will do all I can to prevent this irresponsible act and fight against the disengagement," Elon said. I will do everything I can to make sure that there won't be a majority in the Cabinet vote on Sunday.

sproggy

Would I be over stepping the mark by drawing a comparison between Sharon and Yeltsin (minus the foreskin and vodka obviously)

Sharon also has the luxury of the 'velvet gloved iron fist' of the US government urging him ever onwards.

morgs

Yeltsin had a foreskin?  Are you sure sproglette?

wheatgod

Quote from: "morgs"Yeltsin had a foreskin?  Are you sure sproglette?

thatcher will know.... he cuban missiled her crisis, if you know what i mean!

sproggy

Quote from: "mayer"
Quote from: "sproglette"Sharon also has the luxury of the 'velvet gloved iron fist' of the US government urging him ever onwards.

not overstepping the mark, but totally missing the point of the thread, yes. the point being the silly situation at hand.

oh, and the reason why Sharon is sacking the two NU cunts (once the other one turns up!) is because Wiesglass (i.e. the US) has basically told him he can't alter the Gaza Withdrawal plan, even to save his coalition and/or government.

so missing the point and being wrong then.

How?

Admittedly the Yeltsin comparison was a little obtuse, but isn't Sharon firing cabinet members so he can crowbar his (& the US) withdrawal policy through government?

Are you saying the US has no influence over the running of Isreal?  or are you merely highlighting this Benny Elon chaps refusal to accept what's happening?

mayer

.....edit......

just laugh at the brilliance and chutzpah of this. to bring it home a little, imagine.....

Tony Blair has to fire Jack Straw to get some important FO legislation through on a vote. Jack Straw goes into hiding to avoid receiving the letter of dismisal.

Blair, not one to put up with this sort of thing, gets ahold of his number and calls him, and tells him he's fired.

Straw, then goes on Radio One, and tells them. "No, i do not consider myself fired.... it sounded like Tony Blair on the phone firing me... but for all i know it may well have been Alistair McGowan. i am still part of the Cabinet"

hoverdonkey

You're busting poor sproglette's balls mayer, but I agree, it is very funny. We had an enlightened chuckle about it in the office today.

terminallyrelaxed

I agree with mayer on this one - obviously I had no idea of the context when I clicked on the thread, but upon reading the story I immediately saw its comedy genius, (rather helped by the guy being named Benny Elon, which to me paints him as a s friendly people's person type of politician, although I'm sure someone will be along to dash all that for me) and also immediately thought "here we go...".
Personally I'm waiting for the movie rights (romantic comedy adventure), as our man Benny, (played by Bill Murray, or a fat Adam Sandler, perhaps even the tall funny one from Seinfeld, name escapes me) the lovable least important politician in his party (back bencher), mocked by his corrupt colleagues, recieves the call and hilariously does the 'you're breaking up" routine, and does a bunk.
He then has various humorous adventures as he evades the minions of Sharon (Walter Matthau) lead by an overzealus Army colonel (George Hamilton), Benny is aided by a recently unemployed palestinian waitress (Eliza D'Ushku) and love blossoms before the finale - how can he get into the main chamber of the assembly building and cast his vote without being apprehended and served his notice by  Sharon's smarmy right-hannd man (George from Sienfed)?

sproggy

Quote from: "mayer".....edit......

Should I count myself lucky you edited that reply before I could read it mayer?