Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:44:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Captain Tom Moore

Started by weekender, April 15, 2020, 06:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Cant we just write that whole area off

shoulders

Quote from: imitationleather on July 05, 2023, 10:22:07 PMThat article almost makes me root for the Ingrahm-Cunt-Moores. There's no windows overlooking their garden and having a building on a neighbouring plot of land to you isn't exactly a unique thing to deal with.

Real conflicted on this one.

I think cunts being outcunted is fitting.

Cuellar

Yeah it's tricky. Most of the objections are from people complaining that the building doesn't 'fit in' with the surrounding area - sure sign of a nailed on bell

Ferris

Quote from: Cuellar on July 06, 2023, 01:37:28 PMYeah it's tricky. Most of the objections are presumably from people complaining that the building doesn't 'fit in' with the surrounding area - sure sign of a nailed on bell

Yeah it's proper curtain-twitcher. Some of the complaints to the council are "they said they were going to tile the roof with Pantone #679 (b) but they actually tiled it with Pantone #675 (f)" tier shit.

Anyone who complains to the council in the first place is very likely a twat. This is what happens when you get old and/or live in a village.

The fact that they're all contained in one spot and annoying each other brings me some comfort.

Cuellar

Quote from: Ferris on July 06, 2023, 01:41:08 PMYeah it's proper curtain-twitcher. Some of the complaints to the council are "they said they were going to tile the roof with Pantone #679 (b) but they actually tiled it with Pantone #675 (f)" tier shit.

Anyone who complains to the council in the first place is very likely a twat. This is what happens when you get old and/or live in a village.

The fact that they're all contained in one spot and annoying each other brings me some comfort.

Yes, it would be good if everyone involved could end up disappointed.

I suppose if the Grifters were forced to build a shit Captain Lord Tom museum instead of their pool/spa, and it was made in some gaudy modern fashion, that'd be good.

Or if the Grifters aren't allowed to build anything and then a space rock falls on Marston Moreteyne completely obliterating it and everyone in it.

Ferris

Or they are ordered to demolish the God Emperor Tom Spa, but someone gets the forms wrong and the whole town is razed to the ground by men wi' a trade, rollup behind the ear and a "nothing we can do love, we've been told, call the council" + shrug.

centristmelt

Unless your right to light / access is affected, I struggle to see why people get all NIMBY.

Not defending the grifters in general, ofc.

shoulders

Maybe if they had to turn the spa into the world's shittest mausoleum and then gradually have their own house demolished and have to leave the site permanently as it is obscuring the aspect and visual amenity of the corpse chamber, that would be fitting.

Replies From View

Always a tragic waste that Captain Nonce wasn't cremated in a manner that meant he would burn forever in public.  A building for just that would have been an incredible spend.  Imagine he was just burning forever about two feet off the ground, they couldn't budge him at all from his place so they had to seal him into a room that prevented the anagram moores from accessing their bathroom ever again.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: centristmelt on July 06, 2023, 03:06:36 PMUnless your right to light / access is affected, I struggle to see why people get all NIMBY.

Hemorrhoids

idunnosomename

i think a lot of the MM complaints are a concerted effort to fuck them over because the village hates them so much. can you imagine the general access problems they had when all the press were rolling in during 2020. brave boys too. yeah they're a bunch of curtain-twitching boomers for the most part but it's still very funny

Terry Torpid

That neighbours complaint pdf is a joy.

It's always very funny when stupid people try to write in formal-sounding "lawyery" terms, and end up fucking it up. I'm amazed at some of the poor spelling and grammar, and basic things like not putting a space after a full stop.

Mr Farenheit

I like the last paragraph in this one:

Intrigued by all the redactions, I'd like to think they're for foul language.

... would end up 'in my fucking living room'

...and know the 'cunting thing fucking well' better than anyone

Ian Drunken Smurf

The planning doc was a good read. Especially the comment about who knows whether the charity will be around long-term.

Fambo Number Mive

Trying to imagine what the Captain Tom Museum would be like. Maybe it would be like the Oxford Story, which was a kind of slow moving rollercoaster in central Oxford that told the story of Oxford Unoversity. I remember enjoying it as a child when I first came to Oxford.

Intrigued by the Captain Tom memrobelia idea. Would there be a gift shop?

I imagine there will be a room about his exploits in Burma with the weird chairs and another room about his sponsored walk round the garden. Is there much else to say about him? A room where you watch his apperarence on Wogan?

I presume the musuem can still go ahead if they demolish what is there now and rebuild it to the original plans? Wonder how many visitors they will get. Are there many hardcore Captain Tom fans out there?

Mr Farenheit

The museum needed a pool to be viable.  Now the project's dead thanks to these small minded neighbours.

frajer

The queues would be around the block, 100 times.

famethrowa

How can you go to the council and say "I want to build a pool for a dead guy"?? It beggars belief, the stench of death rising from the murky waters, the foaming bubbling sulphur collecting as the decaying flesh degrades like cold osso bucco, the filter pumps trying hard but becoming clogged with the fermenting humours and liquors of a floating, bloated body... strange, fanged, puffy sea creatures feasting on whatever scraps of meat and offal happen to sink to the inky depths. I just don't think they've fully thought this through.

Ian Drunken Smurf

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on July 08, 2023, 04:30:00 PMThe museum needed a pool to be viable.  Now the project's dead thanks to these small minded neighbours.

Even Schofe wouldn't try to queue barge to get in now...

Mr Banlon

Quote from: pierre boo-lez on July 05, 2023, 10:01:48 PM

He's dead, Deirdre. Have some RESPECT for the zimmer frame nonce.

You're fooling no one Starkey

Quote from: pierre boo-lez on July 05, 2023, 10:01:48 PM

He's dead, Deirdre. Have some RESPECT for the zimmer frame nonce.

Jo Brand's let herself go.

Shaxberd

If I was them I'd double down on the spa being part of the memorial. Make it like Lourdes. If you dunk yourself in the sacred waters, kiss the preserved foot of Saint Thomas of Covid and do 100 laps around the garden, your ailments will be cured. He came to his daughter in a vision and said that's what he wanted.

Fambo Number Mive

Article from Hadley Freeman in the Times headlined "Captain Tom's tale is bonkers Britain to a tee. The war hero, the walk, the pool-house dispute . . . it's the nation writ small"

Is it? Not keen on the word "bonkers" but aside from that, is the whole Captain Tom epic Britain to a tee? Bleak if so.

I'm guessing she means it's twee, old-fashioned and draped in Union Jack's and WW2-era iconography, with a side order of petty curtain-twitching from the neighbours.

Rather than a bleak, cynical grift egged on by our appalling media. Which is of course deeply British.

famethrowa

Quote from: Shaxberd on July 09, 2023, 12:05:49 PMIf I was them I'd double down on the spa being part of the memorial. Make it like Lourdes.

PlanktonSideburns

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Quote on July 09, 2023, 08:52:12 PMI'm guessing she means it's twee, old-fashioned and draped in Union Jack's and WW2-era iconography, with a side order of petty curtain-twitching from the neighbours.

Rather than a bleak, cynical grift egged on by our appalling media. Which is of course deeply British.

A grain of sand on her beach of misunderstanding.

boki

Quote from: Quote on July 09, 2023, 08:52:12 PMI'm guessing she means it's twee, old-fashioned and draped in Union Jack's and WW2-era iconography, with a side order of petty curtain-twitching from the neighbours.

She can't really go in too hard on grifting, considering how many of her 'better friends' are at it.

RottonRaddish

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 15, 2020, 07:05:45 PMWhat a swizz. I ran a 10k last year and nobody gave me fuck all. This bloke trots about his garden and he's raised enough to buy this massive pad just up the road;

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-90512141.html

Exactly. The Nice House, Sorted.

It took the media, with all their resources, over three years to cotton onto this. CAB managed it by the third post.