Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2020

Started by dr beat, January 12, 2020, 01:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Playing on when Trump's a century ahead. Ronnie is a shithouse cunt.

Blue Jam

Watching Snooker Shootout highlights on Eurosport. Pure desolation. Legend Gary as fuck. I must go one day.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 19, 2020, 03:26:28 PM
Watching Snooker Shootout highlights on Eurosport. Pure desolation. Legend Gary as fuck. I must go one day.

Overlapping with the World Grand Prix? These tournaments are non stop. Tbf, I guess like tennis they don't need the same people in every tournament. But if I was in the top 16 I wouldn't be going near the Shootout with an inverted rape alarm. Some of them just love money.

Blue Jam

Nah, this is from February and The Time Before, when audiences were still allowed in and you could hear them drunkenly bellowing about Mark Allen's "Bristols" and Jimmy White's hair transplant.

I think these tournaments have been non-stop because the Worlds got pushed back to August and everything else after that has had to be crammed into a tighter schedule than normal.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Sick of the fucking sight of Gummo now.

Blue Jam

Got Sports Personality Of The Year on now for some reason, probably because I'm a masochist. Rooting for Jordan "NUTJOB" Henderson but would quite like to hear Ronnie give a fucking mental speech.

If Lewis Hamilton wins I'll puke.

Jesus Kloppo, that suit and massive white trainers combo is practically Seinfeldian.

Blue Jam

Menu

Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum but shouldn't Rashford have got this? It would make sense of the weird title(sports personality). He has been the best sports personality this year, as opposed to the best at sport - which is a different thing.

Also: why the fuck would anyone watch this?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Menu on December 20, 2020, 10:25:56 PM
Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum but shouldn't Rashford have got this?

YES.

BBC though innit. Can't be seen to be a bunch of PC lefties opposing common sense Tory policy now can they?

Also I admittedly haven't paid much attention to SPOTY over the years but surely it never used to be this mawkish? A montage of those we have lost this year is a nice way to mark their memory, but why not just some sombre music or some silence? Why have a maximum histrionic version of Charlie Chaplin's Smile (of all songs)? Yeah, you won't die if you just smile.

Quote from: Menu on December 20, 2020, 10:25:56 PM
Also: why the fuck would anyone watch this?

I dunno. I hate myself.

Incidentally Ronnie didn't even make the top three- and neither did Tyson Fury, which was a real surprise to me. Top three:

3. Someone who makes a living whipping horses largely for the benefit of the gambling industry before the horses inevitably break their legs and get turned into dogfood
2. Jordan "NUTJOB" Henderson (yaaaaaay- seriously, fair enough that one)
1. Some car-driving tax-dodging boring twat

Merry Christmas.

Menu

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 20, 2020, 10:51:36 PM
YES.

BBC though innit. Can't be seen to be a bunch of PC lefties opposing common sense Tory policy now can they?

Also I admittedly haven't paid much attention to SPOTY over the years but surely it never used to be this mawkish? A montage of those we have lost this year is a nice way to mark their memory, but why not just some sombre music or some silence? Why have a maximum histrionic version of Charlie Chaplin's Smile (of all songs)? Yeah, you won't die if you just smile.

I dunno. I hate myself.

Incidentally Ronnie didn't even make the top three- and neither did Tyson Fury, which was a real surprise to me. Top three:

3. Someone who makes a living whipping horses largely for the benefit of the gambling industry before the horses inevitably break their legs and get turned into dogfood
2. Jordan "NUTJOB" Henderson (yaaaaaay- seriously, fair enough that one)
1. Some car-driving tax-dodging boring twat

Merry Christmas.

Animal cruelty and climate catastrophe. And, er, Jordan Henderson.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Lewis Hamilton deserved to win it by a fucking mile.

Blue Jam

Couldn't complain about Liverpool FC getting Team Of The Year and Kloppo getting Coach Of The Year. Also loved Kloppo's dig about how it was extra sweeeeeeeet to be picking up the awards in a studio in Manchester. Kloppo for Prime Minister Of The World now pls.

Sorry to football up the thread a bit here. Back on the topic of The Only Sport That Matters, Ronjo wasn't actually present in the Manchester studio and us viewers were informed that all the nominees sat at home in front of Zoom had been given little replica trophies in the event that they won and found themselves in need of a bauble to wave about. I wonder what Ronnie did with his unneeded trophy. Probably stamped on it and told it to fuck off in a bad Australian accent.

druss

Lewis Hamilton winning fair enough, and whenever a footballer is nominated they always do well even if it is completely undeserved (Ryan Giggs) due to their team's dickhead fans, so not a shock to see Henderson get second even if it is ludicrous.

But Hollie Doyle above Fury and Ronnie is absolute mental.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 20, 2020, 11:26:13 PM
Lewis Hamilton deserved to win it by a fucking mile.

for driving a climate destroying supercar?

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 20, 2020, 10:51:36 PM
YES.

That's like a Daily Mail comment held in a mirror. Why would you give a sporting prize to someone for reasons other than sporting prowess? He has his MBE for that.

Menu

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 21, 2020, 10:25:15 AM
That's like a Daily Mail comment held in a mirror. Why would you give a sporting prize to someone for reasons other than sporting prowess? He has his MBE for that.

"Sports Personality"

Blue Jam

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 21, 2020, 10:25:15 AM
That's like a Daily Mail comment held in a mirror.

I'll take that as a compliment, thanks.

Quote from: Menu on December 22, 2020, 02:36:45 AM
"Sports Personality"

YES.

Menu

Also it's basically got to be something the BBC has the rights to. That's why in the noughties it was usually won by Bill Treacher.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The BBC don't have the rights to Formula 1

Quote"Sports Personality"

Perhaps look at the historical winners of this before making the most inane predictable observation.

Uncle TechTip

I guess people take the word 'personailty' literally. It means 'person' in this case. They could call it Sports Star but remember it was invented in the 1950s.

Famous Mortimer

It's always been (at least as often as otherwise) just an award for the most successful British sports-person that year though, surely?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 23, 2020, 04:04:13 AM
It's always been (at least as often as otherwise) just an award for the most successful British sports-person that year though, surely?

Most successful person in a sport British people like (unless the achievement is so astonishing it cuts through, or if there's a side element of heroism or self-sacrifice while being sufficiently deferential to the establishment).

Menu

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 22, 2020, 07:30:51 AM
The BBC don't have the rights to Formula 1

Perhaps look at the historical winners of this before making the most inane predictable observation.

You're right to be angry about this.