Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:56:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I've decided The Larry Sanders Show is a masterpiece

Started by Kelvin, March 24, 2024, 07:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

I've been watching full episodes* on Youtube recently, and the quality of that show is honestly mind-boggling. Not one dud episode. Always true to it's characters. And endlessly funny in ways that are both obvious and subtle.

Re-watching it thirty years later, I'm comfortable saying it's the best naturalistic comedy show ever made.   

Anyone want to watch a few and discuss them? Or just talk about your favourite scenes and characters? I'm absolutely buzzing after this latest binge.

*with a few edits

mr. logic

I think it's second only to The Sopranos, and possibly Good Simpsons. It's just the best thing. So, so brilliant.

badaids

Funnily enough I'm rewatching it after 30 years too. It is brilliant. It's one of those shows that even if you're not laughing you're in admiration of the writing and acting, but there's always one proper belly laugh at least in each episode.  Is there a better examination of power dynamics than this show?

And is there a character who's as oily and insincere as Jerry?

Mobius

stranger

Similar to my thoughts in the Seinfeld thread, an absolutely superb show that is well overdue a full rewatch.

I think I've got them downloaded from somewhere years ago, but might splash out on the DVD box set, anyone know if that's completely unedited?

Kelvin

Quote from: badaids on March 24, 2024, 07:49:25 AMAnd is there a character who's as oily and insincere as Jerry?

There's an episode where Larry's wife is feeling insecure about him flirting with female guests, and she asks Jerry where Larry is - so of course he just cheerily tells her that he's in the female guest's dressing room. It's not hammered home at all, but I really get the impression that's the kind of shit-stirring spiteful guy Jerry is. Going out of his way to make everyone else as miserable as him.

DrGreggles

One of the best TV shows ever, let alone one of the best comedies.
And Hank might be the greatest TV character of them all.

Kelvin

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 24, 2024, 08:11:29 AMAnd Hank might be the greatest TV character of them all.

My heart lies with Artie. All these years later, he still feels like a fairly unique character - and much more than just a cynical producer. The way he instinctively lies to Larry, coddles Larry, or reframes bad news is so endlessly funny. And Rip Torn might pull some of the funniest background reactions ever; grinning dementedly, making little gestures, constantly trying to perk Larry up.

He's the most likable of the three main characters too. In his own blunt way, he shows compassion to almost everyone at their lowest moments.     

BeardFaceMan

There's never been a show that has done 'celebrities playing versions of themselves' so well, they really nailed that. As excellent as the cast of core characters were, and they really are, the show wouldn't have worked as well with celebs hamming it up with a "see, I can laugh at myself!!!" grin plastered all over their winking face. Shandling got the vibe just right there, he got exactly what he needed to out of his guests, it all felt very real even though it was being exaggerated, that's a hard trick to pull off.

badaids

And I never realised they were so short. The series 1 finale is 21 minutes long, but never a second or line is wasted but they still feel light and breezy.

sevendaughters

some clod has upscaled them on youtube in a way that is really noticeable when you cast them to TV.

top 3 sitcom anyway.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: badaids on March 24, 2024, 08:46:05 AMAnd I never realised they were so short. The series 1 finale is 21 minutes long, but never a second or line is wasted but they still feel light and breezy.

That's a HBO thing, it's not like ITV or BBC where there are strict time constraints, they have a bit of leeway to make eps as long or short as they want. Most eps are around 21 or 22 minutes, some are 26 or 27 minutes long. Larry David does the same thing with Curb now.

Minami Minegishi

Bartholomew J Krishna

Just a reminder that all episodes are available to download here.

I really need to watch this again. I haven't seen it since it used to be on late nights on BBC 2 in the 90s and I fucking loved it.

dead-ced-dead

Hank is like a Chekhovian character. Just one of the finest tragicomedy characters of all time.

Endicott

Hard agree with the OP. When the full series was finally cleared on DVD with (all?) the studio musical performances I was over the moon.

I find it hard to split the 3 main characters but man I love watching Rip Torn.

Armin Meiwes

You can prob guess who my favourite was, truly one of the all time great pathetic characters of TV, but yeah truly an incredible show, think my dad got me watching it back in the day when it was on bbc2 and have rewatched several times since, it's the kind of thing you want to go back to every few years, holds up perfectly.

checkoutgirl

I watched the entire thing a few years ago in a massive binge over a few days. It's excellent. The end was amazing as well.

badaids

In my mind the Larry Sanders show and It's Garry Shandling's Show are in separate in my mind and for years I didn't realise they were different things. 

But is IGSS any good?  I can only remember the theme tune.

thr0b

Quote from: Bartholomew J Krishna on March 24, 2024, 10:27:12 AMJust a reminder that all episodes are available to download here.

Annoyingly however, they're the ITV4 edits. Tsk.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 24, 2024, 08:44:57 AMThere's never been a show that has done 'celebrities playing versions of themselves' so well, they really nailed that.

With the possible exception of Elvis Costello.

thr0b

Quote from: badaids on March 24, 2024, 11:42:47 AMIn my mind the Larry Sanders show and It's Garry Shandling's Show are in separate in my mind and for years I didn't realise they were different things. 

But is IGSS any good?  I can only remember the theme tune.

It's not as good. It's good though.

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on March 24, 2024, 10:55:27 AMYou can prob guess who my favourite was, truly one of the all time great pathetic characters of TV

The show's so good at showing Hank's swings from self-pity to arrogant hubris. Larry similarly alternates neediness and self-importance, but they're still very different personalities. A standard sitcom probably wouldn't be able to sustain both of them together, but then most sitcom writers wouldn't go as deeply into character realism as Shandling did.

There's a daily One Show-type programme on S4C, and every time it comes on I inevitably shout the same thing. (No one laughs and I don't blame them.)

Neomod

Quote from: Maureen Brontë on March 24, 2024, 11:59:34 AMThe show's so good at showing Hank's swings from self-pity to arrogant hubris.

Encapsulated in one of my favourite episodes of any comedy ever, Hank's Night in the Sun.

neveragain

Armin Meiwes

Best of all the celebrities playing themselves? Bit of an obvious one but got to be David Duchovny right, his weird crush on Larry was played to perfection.

mr. logic

'I'm pissing my pants, conceptual flaw and all!'

I think that is the best series of words in comedy ever. Pleasing writing aside,  it also displays the duality of the character:  A kiss arse, obviously,  but also a sharp producer who recognises that the sketch doesn't actually work and agrees with the arty reservations of Larry. But also ultimately knows that it doesn't matter all that much in terms of the audience and viewers who will laugh at any old shit, something he doesn't just accept, something he welcomes. In one line.

shiftwork2

Quote from: badaids on March 24, 2024, 11:42:47 AMBut is IGSS any good?  I can only remember the theme tune.

I'm watching this at the moment.  Much looser and lighter than Larry Sanders but still very good.

Endicott

Quote from: neveragain on March 24, 2024, 12:14:33 PMIs there much missing?

If I remember correctly it's mostly cuts for non UK cleared musical performances. Although
Spoiler alert
I wonder if they have Hank saying cunt?
[close]

Don't quote me though it may be more than that. I recommend the R1 DVD full box set if you can get it. Also has some great extras.