Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:10:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Assassin's Creed Mirage [split topic]

Started by bgmnts, October 05, 2023, 10:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oggyraiding

I quite enjoyed Valhalla but am not enjoying Mirage. As others have said, the parkour is bad in the recent games' engine. Valhalla got away with it because the setting meant mainly lowrise buildings and the cities weren't too big and complex. Mirage has more complicated architecture which the parkour controls can't deal with.

Thursday

I've run into a broken quest with this, wasn't able to find anyone else with the problem, so even went to the effort of emailing Ubisoft Support trying to explain the problem, with a couple of screenshots, and they replied asking if I could send a video... and I could not be bothered... so I guess there's not much chance of that getting fixed.

Thursday

If I were John Ubisoft, I'd basically spin them off into separate but still connected series. One that fully leans into the world RPG stuff, has combat and movement that fits that era of history and only very loosely connected to Assassin's/Templars stuff. Valhalla and Odyssey would be better games if they didn't have to pretend to still be an Assassin's Creed game so much.

Then you have another series that's the traditional Assassin's Brotherhood, parkour, stealth, stabbings stuff. Get back to where Unity was with it's parkour and build on that, and do the bits where it actually sort of delivered on being Historical Hitman. Alternate between them every couple of years, so people aren't getting sick of one style, but delivering on both of the things different people want.

bgmnts

Problem with that is Ubisoft are already oversaturated with open world RPG style games. They're the cliché itself in Far Cry, Watchdogs, Tom Clancy stuff etc. So if they splintered AC and created a semi-new IP, it would possibly just get lost.

oggyraiding

There are three confirmed coming up:
Codename Red, action-RPG set in feudal Japan.
Codename Hexe, "The series' Vice President Executive Producer Marc-Alexis Côté revealed to IGN that Codename Hexe would not be an Action-RPG like Red, but something different entirely." Holy Roman witchtrials.
Codename Invictus, multiplayer.

Red I think is a bit redundant. 10 years ago a Japanese ninja/samurai style AC was being asked for by everyone. But Ghost Of Tsushima has filled that niche and I have absolutely no belief that Ubi can top GoT in any way. Unless they're going to have you meeting the big names like Oda Nobunaga, Date Masamune, Tokugawa Ieyasu etc; or have mythological stuff like they had in Odyssey, it will forever be a less stylish less well made less soulful ninja/samurai power fantasy than GoT.

madhair60

mad idea: ubisoft should cancel all assassins creeds, far crys and rainbows six, and focus on beyond good and evil 2 so we can get more batshit insane trailers

MONKEY'S GOT A DATE!!!

Thursday

Thursday

madhair60

madhair60

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on October 13, 2023, 09:04:34 AMmad idea: ubisoft should cancel all assassins creeds, far crys and rainbows six, and focus on beyond good and evil 2 so we can get more batshit insane trailers

MONKEY'S GOT A DATE!!!

Utopian but yes would be perfect world.

Retinend

If I have never played the others and don't know any better, will I enjoy this?

Thursday

No

(I dunno, maybe, it's both a decent place to start, but a very weird place to start in others ways. It's not really anything special though)

bgmnts

Quote from: Retinend on October 25, 2023, 10:39:11 PMIf I have never played the others and don't know any better, will I enjoy this?

Probably not.

oggyraiding

Quote from: Retinend on October 25, 2023, 10:39:11 PMIf I have never played the others and don't know any better, will I enjoy this?

I'd suggest getting the Ezio Collection or Black Flag, they're considered series high points and you can get them for a pittance. Mirage's £50 price tag is a lot for a gamble.

Pink Gregory

Honestly I don't think they ever really improved on AC2.  Some people swear by Brotherhood but everything they added to the formula felt gimmicky and unecessary to achieve what the game asks you to do, and Rome wasn't really that interesting as one sprawling city compared to the variety of Florence and Venice.

The instant kill counter just became too easy and since AC3 where they simplified the climbing it became difficult to use but also completely frictionless.

AC2 still felt like an adventure with the right amount of busywork, from then on they were trying to figure out how to cram a management game or some other distraction in there somehow, because they couldn't figure out how to make the assassination challenges any better.

Timothy

Borrowed Mirage from a mate. It's really bad. A stealthy parcour game with poor AI and the parcour never really works properly.

Retinend

Quote from: oggyraiding on October 25, 2023, 11:03:53 PMI'd suggest getting the Ezio Collection or Black Flag, they're considered series high points and you can get them for a pittance. Mirage's £50 price tag is a lot for a gamble.

I got the Ezio collection like you told me to. It was a very good idea. It's three games for the price of one and because of the historical themes they don't feel dated whatsoever.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 26, 2023, 05:06:20 AMHonestly I don't think they ever really improved on AC2.  Some people swear by Brotherhood but everything they added to the formula felt gimmicky and unecessary to achieve what the game asks you to do, and Rome wasn't really that interesting as one sprawling city compared to the variety of Florence and Venice.

The instant kill counter just became too easy and since AC3 where they simplified the climbing it became difficult to use but also completely frictionless.

AC2 still felt like an adventure with the right amount of busywork, from then on they were trying to figure out how to cram a management game or some other distraction in there somehow, because they couldn't figure out how to make the assassination challenges any better.

AC2 is for me the better game because the setting is bigger and brighter, and not as pokey and dingy as Brotherhood's Rome setting, but Brotherhood was slightly more enjoyable to play. I really liked re-taking all Borgia Towers and the stealth this required. The combat is more satisfying in Brotherhood even if it is more simplified. AC2 might have had more fighting maneuvers, but they weren't intuitive. What is intuitive is Brother's combo system. Because the combat is fun, I don't just immediately turn to smoke bombs and knives, as I inevitably did in AC2.

I still have a whole new game to play now, in Revelations. Really enjoyed it so far. I would definitely buy Mirage if they have made the stealth system more modern and Hitman-like. My biggest gripe with these old Ezio games is how robotic the stealth mechanics are. Even then, my favourite moments have been the moments when I could pretend I was a renaissance-era Hitman. I bloody love hitting men.