Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Prosecco Stormfront [split topic]

Started by Kankurette, April 26, 2022, 08:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 11, 2022, 07:38:13 AMOnly thing that one can pretend was good about the second world war (apart from the establishment of the post-war consensus which that generation ended up doing very well out of when it was transferred to them and they landlorded or sold it all off)

Which generation does that refer to? Cos if it's a reference to the governments of 1979 - 97, most of them were people born in the 1920s and 30s, or very early 40s.

You could, of course, argue that the Blairite and Brownite givernments weren't much better, and that they mainly carried it on - fair enough. But most of the work had already been done before them.

Pink Gregory

I'm being far too flippant to be accurate - if anything among the younger Mumsnet posters who are like this I imagine many are Cameronites; people who were between 20 and 30 during New Labour and might have been affected by austerity, but followed that (lol) liberal Tory wave into the sort of slowly crystallising reactionary with (and perhaps because of) precarious middle class wealth ebbing away.

Kankurette

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 11, 2022, 08:39:36 AMI glanced at the first page of that thread and would call it 50/50 in terms of for and against.

As for people posting their hot take and not reading the thread, well that happens here once a day it seems.

Not defending MN, I just want the depiction to be accurate.
It gets worse halfway through.

ETA: threads about how everyone under the age of 30 is useless and whiny and lacks resilience are commonplace on Mumsnet. Which makes you want to ask who is raising these invertebrates.

Kankurette

Quote from: petril on May 11, 2022, 10:30:41 AMhalf of the userbase would crumble into a gibbering wreck if there was a war against a country that could bomb Britain. and the majority would turn quisling asap in a haze of panic
Yeah, COVID really brought out a lot of Mumsnetters' inner Stasi. There are definitely posters who would be more than happy to inform on their neighbours. Everyone thinks they'd pick up a gun but how many of them really would? (And I include myself in this, I know I'd be fucked if we went to war.) I mean, when war in Ukraine broke out there were loads of threads about the war coming here, and people talking about moving to another country, and Putin nuking us all. There were a couple of threads as well about conscription coming back in the UK and Mumsnetters speculating about what they'd do if they were conscripted. I mean, how likely is that? The British Army don't want it anyway, they want people serving who actually want to be there.

Dr Rock

Kankurette

And we can add 'not liking cold showers' to the list of Things That Are Woke According To Mumsnet.

QuoteHandyGirl76 · 11/05/2022 18:06
My DH and I were watching the Wim Hof programme the other day and all of the fuss around taking a 15 second cold shower. DH turned to me and said "I wonder what Putin and Xie would say if they were watching this". As woke as pride myself to be, it did make me ponder...

Yes, yes, Putin is a Big Strong Alpha Male and we should all aspire to be like him and his super badass nation of badasses, and people who don't like freezing their arses off are all liberal cucks. It would explain the conservative obsession with suffering making you a better person though. (And why would you admit to being woke on Mumsnet. Mumsnetters think being woke is the worst thing ever.)

bgmnts

That has to be bollocks, unless you have a psychopathic DH (what is a DH? Dear Husband?)

As someone who has gotten up at silly o'clock in the Nepalese mountains to subject myself to freezing cold water from a hosepipe coming through a hole in the brickwork of a tiny hut, I can only say I will happily be labelled a big soft pansy woketard if I don't have to go through that again.

Kankurette

Yeah, I think it's 'Dear/Darling Husband'.

On the subject of Things That Are Woke, someone's started a thread about her husband taking her to that Karen's Diner place in Sheffield for her birthday and that her 19-year-old daughter is 'a bit disappointed for me but thinks we should try and make the best of it.'. Someone replied, "I hope she's not a university student. The cognitive dissonance of woke v boak might do for her." (Mumsnet really like using 'boak' as a word for 'vomit'. I don't know whether it's just a Scottish thing or a Mumsnet thing.) Some of them really seem to have this idea that ALL students are 'woke' and pro-trans and will cry if they don't have a thousand trigger warnings. Like, do they get upset if their own kids go to university? And Mumsnet's obsession with seeing who can use the wittiest phrase with 'woke' in it - woke vs boak, wokery pokery, wokey cokey etc. - makes me homicidal. I can hear the tinkly laughs from here. Their humour is immensely cringey.

(I have a sore spot where criticism of universities is concerned because if I hadn't gone to university, I wouldn't have become more independent and I wouldn't have gotten my current job.)

Dr Rock

I've never read a Mumsnet post that made me laugh, except unintentionally.

Kankurette

None of the Classics threads are ever funny. Except maybe the one about Brian from Hull offering yonic massage.

The Karen diner sounds dreadful, and if my husband's idea of a birthday present for me was taking me there, he'd be sleeping on the sofa, but good lord do Mumsnetters get wound up about the Karen thing. (And on a related note, if Mumsnet are as into critical thinking as they say they are, they'd be questioning why so many of the people who agree with them on trans people are on the right. And are not exactly feminists.)

shiftwork2

Quote from: Kankurette on May 11, 2022, 08:39:41 PMThe Karen diner sounds dreadful, and if my husband's idea of a birthday present for me was taking me there, he'd be sleeping on the sofa

Voice of reason:

JaDanketies

we're definitely going to the Karen diner, thanks for letting me know about it Kankurette

Kankurette

There's one in Manchester as well. It's an Aussie thing. Details here for anyone interested.

I'd hate it, but then 1) I am oversensitive and 2) I'm not into burger places (apart from Solita's) as I don't eat meat and there aren't many options at the Karen one. And some people do like being insulted by staff. There's that Wong Kei place in London, a Chinese restaurant where the food was bang average but nobody was arsed about the food, they went because the staff were notoriously rude.

bgmnts

Looked into it and just sounds like a miserable experience to be honest, after the six seconds of novelty wears off.

Kankurette

I can't see it lasting too long. These fad places don't tend to, particularly ones based on memes. Salt Cunt will have his day eventually.

Kankurette

Crosspost from the Glinner thread:
Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on May 13, 2022, 10:45:49 AMMeanwhile, there's some buyer's remorse happening over at the Allison Bailey tribunal:

The absolute state of it. Giving £500 to a stranger's tribunal and then complaining that she isn't transphobic enough. But then this is Mumsnet, a site full of gullible idiots who are regularly targeted by beggars and scammers, and despite mods warning people multiple times to never send money to random people you've encountered via Mumsnet, posters keep doing it. There was one thread recently by someone who'd been to Morocco and was being hit up by a taxi driver she'd hired there for money to pay his kids' way through school, and the thread was full of credulous twits going 'but what if he's genuine, Morocco is a poor country and private schools are better than state schools there, it's totally normal to give strangers money in [insert country here]' etc.

Unfortunately the Bailey thread's been zapped.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Kankurette on May 11, 2022, 09:10:28 PMThere's one in Manchester as well. It's an Aussie thing. Details here for anyone interested.

I'd hate it, but then 1) I am oversensitive and 2) I'm not into burger places (apart from Solita's) as I don't eat meat and there aren't many options at the Karen one. And some people do like being insulted by staff. There's that Wong Kei place in London, a Chinese restaurant where the food was bang average but nobody was arsed about the food, they went because the staff were notoriously rude.

The rudeness of Wong Kei is hugely overstated. The last time I went there The waitress apologised for something no longer being on the menu.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on May 13, 2022, 01:07:29 PMThe rudeness of Wong Kei is hugely overstated. The last time I went there The waitress apologised for something no longer being on the menu.

My dreadful ex-employer's hq was on Wardour Street so have been a few times and it was always fine. The rudest person I encountered in there was none other than Floella Benjamin. She might just have been having a bad day.

JaDanketies

There's enough vegan stuff on the menu at Karen's to satisfy me. And anyway, you can always insist that they make you something special - that's the point!

Kankurette

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 13, 2022, 02:13:57 PMMy dreadful ex-employer's hq was on Wardour Street so have been a few times and it was always fine. The rudest person I encountered in there was none other than Floella Benjamin. She might just have been having a bad day.
Not the first time I've heard on here that Floella is a bit of a dick, which is a shame as I loved her as a kid. I hope Dave Benson-Phillips isn't a dick, that would ruin my childhood!

Apparently Wong Kei has calmed down a bit on the rudeness front these days. Is the food actually any cop there?

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Kankurette on May 13, 2022, 02:54:24 PMNot the first time I've heard on here that Floella is a bit of a dick, which is a shame as I loved her as a kid. I hope Dave Benson-Phillips isn't a dick, that would ruin my childhood!

Apparently Wong Kei has calmed down a bit on the rudeness front these days. Is the food actually any cop there?

That's the 3rd time in a fortnight I've heard Dave Benson-Phillips mentioned - prior to that it must be 10 years.

The food's fine. Didn't make a particular impression. I preferred the one on Greek Street that closed down where conversely I remember the food but not the name.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Kankurette on May 13, 2022, 02:54:24 PMApparently Wong Kei has calmed down a bit on the rudeness front these days. Is the food actually any cop there?

I eat in Chinatown semi-regularly and I rate Old Town 97 as one of the better places. No frills but the food is pretty good across the board.

Kankurette

Some major hasbara vibes in the thread about Shireen Abu Aqla's funeral and the IDF being absolute cunts. I hate the whole 'BUT HAMAS' whataboutery. Doesn't excuse attacking a funeral. Tbf, there are a lot of posters who are disgusted with Israel, which surprises me.

Blue Jam

What's the name of that Dim Sum place in London's Chinatown where the staff serve food from trolleys and the decor looks like a garish set from a 70's Kung Fu film? Old school as fuck and a bit naff but absolutely ace for those very reasons.

The staff are very polite though so it can't be the one namechecked above.

I wouldn't go to Karen's, mainly because that meme took about five minutes to get old and really should be dead by now, but I probably would go to Amy's Baking Company.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 15, 2022, 04:10:06 PMWhat's the name of that Dim Sum place in London's Chinatown where the staff serve food from trolleys and the decor looks like a garish set from a 70's Kung Fu film? Old school as fuck and a bit naff but absolutely ace for those very reasons.

Golden Dragon? The one on two floors.

chip

Never been on it as I'm not a Mum, but they absolutely have the right idea about wearing pyjamas in public. It is absolutely unreal that there are people here defending that.

Kankurette

I'm not defending it, I just don't understand why it's so horrifying.

Povidone

These pricks miss the point that going round dishevelled, smelly, pajamaed and generally at your lowest ebb makes those moments when you can be arsed to comb your hair and put on a suit all the more enjoyable, why take the fun out of that shit by doing it every day.

Dex Sawash

Having pajamas and putting them on is a mark of someone who has their shit fairly well sorted

Kankurette

They're handling Jake Daniels' coming out of the closet just as well as expected. Lots of 'why does he have to tell us, why is it such a big deal'. Well, if you bothered to pay attention to men's football outside the Sky Big 6 and the internationals, you'd know that it's pretty fucking homophobic. Not as bad as the '90s when Graeme Le Saux got called gay for reading the Guardian, but you only have to see all the angry reacts every time a club does anything Pride/LGBT-related to understand that we've still got a way to go, and they're not all from foreign fans either.