Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:52:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

QuoteYes, I can see clearly that we have 3 plus 4 equals 5
Quotethe 4-sized side would make a square of 12

I guess my diagram didn't help.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 09, 2019, 10:22:03 PM
So you can do something like  a drop D on the fly with a harp?

with some fancy footwork, yes, & it's sometimes called for in orchestral scores. the mechanism has to be almost silent, obviously.
my cousin's first harp only had a couple of pedals, & the rest was done with lever up by the tuners. she progressed to a posher model with seven pedals, which I got a good look at (at the time she was playing in a folk trio in the south of austria, with an accordianist & a trumpeter, & so we sought a means to amplify the harp with contact mics & a small guitar amp).

the Cs & Gs (I think) are coloured red & blue to help you find your way around too.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 09, 2019, 11:22:21 PM
What if you add more squares?

If you subdivide the squares even more, an interesting thing happens...

...The word CAB starts flashing.

touchingcloth

I thought harps are always Drop D equivalent, in that they're tuned to a chord so whatever you play on them sounds halfway tuneful if a little bland. Not all harps have pedals - Celtic ones are essentially big lyres. I wish I could play one, but I think I'd need one extra hand and at least two extra brains.

touchingcloth

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 09, 2019, 11:42:53 PM
If you subdivide the squares even more, an interesting thing happens...

...The word CAB starts flashing.

That's nothing compared to what happens when you type the word MATH while looking at the image.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 09, 2019, 11:43:58 PM
I thought harps are always Drop D equivalent, in that they're tuned to a chord so whatever you play on them sounds halfway tuneful if a little bland. Not all harps have pedals - Celtic ones are essentially big lyres. I wish I could play one, but I think I'd need one extra hand and at least two extra brains.

well, the reason they sound a bit like an open chord (not the same as drop-D) is that there are eight strings per octave, & they're tuned to the notes required in a given key. the pedals change some of the notes to make the thing work in different keys. a celtic harp simply lacks this flexibility.

touchingcloth

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on May 10, 2019, 12:01:08 AM
well, the reason they sound a bit like an open chord (not the same as drop-D) is that there are eight strings per octave, & they're tuned to the notes required in a given key. the pedals change some of the notes to make the thing work in different keys. a celtic harp simply lacks this flexibility.

Drop D is an open chord, isn't it? At least it sounds like one when you strum it.

ETA, Ignore me. End me. Grave me. I'm thinking of DADGAD.

Fuck me. What a sentence I have typed.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 10, 2019, 12:02:49 AM
Drop D is an open chord, isn't it? At least it sounds like one when you strum it.

ETA, Ignore me. End me. Grave me. I'm thinking of DADGAD.

Fuck me. What a sentence I have typed.

LOL. yeah, drop-d & open-d & dadgad are three different things. then there's nashville....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_D_tuning

kalowski

These two pictures take up the same space. Since they both contain the four coloured triangles the white spaces must also be the same.
QED

Replies From View

NattyDread 2

That 80s number 'Tarzan Boy' by Baltimora. That "wohoohwoooaah" etc hook/chorus is meant to be Tarzan yelping. Only taken 30 odd years for that to click. What a fucking dolt.

touchingcloth

That I can do this:

Which I just used to do that ^.

magval

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on May 10, 2019, 11:11:52 AM
That 80s number 'Tarzan Boy' by Baltimora. That "wohoohwoooaah" etc hook/chorus is meant to be Tarzan yelping. Only taken 30 odd years for that to click. What a fucking dolt.

I had this with Chewbacca swinging from a tree in the third Star Wars film.

Phil_A

The reason the Count from Sesame Street is obsessed with counting things is because, in vampiric mythology, throwing seeds on the ground will distract Brer Vampire who will be forced to halt his pursuit of you in order to count them all.

Replies From View

studpuppet

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 09, 2019, 11:10:01 PM
Pythagoras' theorem.
When I was taught the equation at school, I just trusted my calculator and didn't give it any more thought.

Until today, I'd never seen it visualized like this with the squares on each side, and it's kind of blown my mind.
The area of C square is equal to the area of B square + A square.
Cool!

Mate - 9m50s in:

Bronowski does Pythagoras

studpuppet

Quote from: gib on May 10, 2019, 11:06:30 PM
He cheated by using an extra bit.

He was dying from cancer, you unfeeling bastard. He's allowed to use an extra bit.

Replies From View

Quote from: studpuppet on May 11, 2019, 12:03:02 AM
He was dying from cancer, you unfeeling bastard. He's allowed to use an extra bit.

Actually the rule is that if you are dying from cancer you have to use fewer bits.

hedgehog90

Quote from: studpuppet on May 10, 2019, 10:06:55 PM
Mate - 9m50s in:

Bronowski does Pythagoras

I've watched The Ascent of Man 2 or maybe 3 times and I love Mr Bronowski, but that is without doubt the shittest proof of Pythagoras I have ever seen.
He adds a piece in the middle and then he adds a bent twig with foliage like a hippy.
If I saw that when I was 8 or 9 I'd just be like 'the fuck is this old bastard on about'

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Phil_A on May 10, 2019, 06:57:27 PM
The reason the Count from Sesame Street is obsessed with counting things is because, in vampiric mythology, throwing seeds on the ground will distract Brer Vampire who will be forced to halt his pursuit of you in order to count them all.

Well that's my hat fucked inside out!

Wasn't Dracula a Count though - Count Dracula?
Which came first?

This fact is like Vampire Mandelbrot in my brain.

kittens

the reason he counts is he is called the count. like counting. do you get it now.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: kittens on May 11, 2019, 03:09:27 PM
the reason he counts is he is called the count. like counting. do you get it now.

Aye, but Vampires can be stopped in their track by throwing seeds or rice grains down in front of them, they can't resist COUNTING them - Like bloodthirsty Rainmans/Rainmen!

So Count Von Count (off of Sesame Street) counting everything works either way.

Do you get it now you, you big Count.

Quote from: kittens on May 11, 2019, 03:09:27 PM

Explain more.

gib

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on May 11, 2019, 03:19:05 PM
Aye, but Vampires can be stopped in their track by throwing seeds or rice grains down in front of them, they can't resist COUNTING them - Like bloodthirsty Rainmans/Rainmen!

No one has heard of this though.

kittens

Quote from: DistressedArea on May 11, 2019, 03:19:59 PM
Explain more.

well basically what i'm getting at is the man's name is 'the count'. let's take a closer look at this name shall we. we can ignore the 'the', that's unimportant for our purposes here. so now we're left with 'count'. now i know what you're thinking - count, like count dracula right? well, yes and no. you see, he is named after count dracula, but there is a secret extra meaning to the word 'count' that you may be missing. allow me to quote dictionary.com:

COUNT

verb (used with object)
to check over (the separate units or groups of a collection) one by one to determine the total number; add up; enumerate:
He counted his tickets and found he had ten.

to reckon up; calculate; compute.
SEE MORE
verb (used without object)
to count the items of a collection one by one in order to determine the total:
She counted three times before she was satisfied that none was missing.
to list or name numerals in order:
to count to 100 by fives.
SEE MORE
noun
the act of counting; enumeration; reckoning; calculation:
A count of hands showed 23 in favor and 16 opposed.
the number representing the result of a process of counting; the total number.

the secret second reason 'the count' from sesame street is so named may now be becoming more clear. you see, if you take on your new knowledge of this secondary meaning of the word 'count', then apply it to the character of 'the count', you may see a clever connection begin to form. imagine for example the writers of sesame street had named the character 'the counting count'. in this case, the word 'counting' would refer to the meaning given by dictionary.com above. the word 'count' would refer to the character's title. if you pay close attention you may realise the similarity between these two words. even though they have separate meanings, they are spelled almost identically. so, what the sesame street writers did was, through a very cunning play on words, combine the two possible meanings of the word 'count' into the name of the character, so 'the counting count' becomes simply 'the count', while still holding on to that very clever double meaning. so as you can see, the reason he counts is due to his name being 'the count'. must have taken some clever folks to write that show - and you can count on that!

St_Eddie

I thought that the whole 'throwing seeds' thing was a joke about missing the obvious reason and coming up with a ridiculously obscure explanation.  That's why I don't say anything about it.  If it wasn't a joke, then fucking hell... yes, he counts because he's called Count Dracula.

Ferris

St_Eddie