Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:03:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: gib on May 11, 2019, 03:20:42 PM
No one has heard of this though.

I just heard about it today, so you're wrong there.

Ferris

Theres references to it in a Terry Pratchett novel, but that's the only reason I've heard of it.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 09, 2019, 11:43:58 PM
I thought harps are always Drop D equivalent, in that they're tuned to a chord so whatever you play on them sounds halfway tuneful if a little bland. Not all harps have pedals - Celtic ones are essentially big lyres.

Sounds like bollocks to me mate. The only big lyre in this discussion is you.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on May 10, 2019, 11:11:52 AM
That 80s number 'Tarzan Boy' by Baltimora. That "wohoohwoooaah" etc hook/chorus is meant to be Tarzan yelping. Only taken 30 odd years for that to click. What a fucking dolt.

There's also the sound of a cat being tortured in every chorus.  I remember it being really loud but the version I just listened to on youtube had it really low in the mix.

St_Eddie

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 11, 2019, 04:03:55 PM
There's also the sound of a cat being tortured in every chorus.  I remember it being really loud but the version I just listened to on youtube had it really low in the mix mewix.

Sorry, folks.  That was terrible.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: gib on May 11, 2019, 03:20:42 PM
No one has heard of this though.

Hence the title of the thread... we're all in here arguing that this new information is new information to us.

It does say in the Wikipedia entry that vampires can't resist counting a sack of rice. Can we take that as the starting point?

All I'm saying is, Vampires, whether titled European nobility or lower caste plebeian neck admirers, love a fucking good count (rice or seeds) and this is unusual news.

Count Basie on the other hand definitely got his title because of his extra loud "1..2..3..4" at the start of each piece of music, like a proto Dee Dee Ramone.

gib

Fishfinger

The chorus of oft re-released footy song 'Three Lions' refers to Jules Rimet still gleaming, in reference to the gilded statuette that bears the name of the former FIFA president of that name. It was stolen but apparently recovered by a dog, prior to the '66 World Cup, then subsequently stolen again and not recovered at all. But, to get back on topic, the obvious thing I've only just realised is that everything is stupid and pointless.

Twed

I thought it was "jewels remain" when I was younger, because maybe football winners got a crown or some trophy had jewels on it or something stupid. When I learn it was Jules Rimet I figured he was just some ageing player who was still performing well.

"Jewels remain still gleaming" would be a masterpiece in bad lyricism.

buttgammon

I knew the lyric was 'Jules Rimet still gleaming', but only recently copped that the Jules Rimet trophy is the old one that went missing, not the replacement that's used today.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: buttgammon on May 11, 2019, 10:16:36 PM
I knew the lyric was 'Jules Rimet still gleaming', but only recently copped that the Jules Rimet trophy is the old one that went missing, not the replacement that's used today.

strutter!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Twed on May 11, 2019, 09:33:15 PM
I thought it was "jewels remain" when I was younger, because maybe football winners got a crown or some trophy had jewels on it or something stupid. When I learn it was Jules Rimet I figured he was just some ageing player who was still performing well.

"Jewels remain still gleaming" would be a masterpiece in bad lyricism.

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 09, 2019, 08:55:39 AM
I'm not a football fan, but even I know this is rubbish. They were discussing Three Lions on the radio this morning, and dad said "it's quite a good, catchy football tune, that. 'Three lions on my chest / Jules is there still shining'".

touchingcloth

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on May 11, 2019, 05:28:20 PM
It does say in the Wikipedia entry that vampires can't resist counting a sack of rice.

It also says:

QuoteThe dhampir sprung of a karkanxholl has the unique ability to discern the karkanxholl; from this derives the expression the dhampir knows the lugat. The lugat cannot be seen, he can only be killed by the dhampir, who himself is usually the son of a lugat.

So I'm not sure how far we can trust it.

Replies From View

Quote from: kittens on May 11, 2019, 03:32:39 PM
well basically what i'm getting at is the man's name is 'the count'. let's take a closer look at this name shall we. we can ignore the 'the', that's unimportant for our purposes here. so now we're left with 'count'. now i know what you're thinking - count, like count dracula right? well, yes and no. you see, he is named after count dracula, but there is a secret extra meaning to the word 'count' that you may be missing. allow me to quote dictionary.com:

COUNT

verb (used with object)
to check over (the separate units or groups of a collection) one by one to determine the total number; add up; enumerate:
He counted his tickets and found he had ten.

to reckon up; calculate; compute.
SEE MORE
verb (used without object)
to count the items of a collection one by one in order to determine the total:
She counted three times before she was satisfied that none was missing.
to list or name numerals in order:
to count to 100 by fives.
SEE MORE
noun
the act of counting; enumeration; reckoning; calculation:
A count of hands showed 23 in favor and 16 opposed.
the number representing the result of a process of counting; the total number.

the secret second reason 'the count' from sesame street is so named may now be becoming more clear. you see, if you take on your new knowledge of this secondary meaning of the word 'count', then apply it to the character of 'the count', you may see a clever connection begin to form. imagine for example the writers of sesame street had named the character 'the counting count'. in this case, the word 'counting' would refer to the meaning given by dictionary.com above. the word 'count' would refer to the character's title. if you pay close attention you may realise the similarity between these two words. even though they have separate meanings, they are spelled almost identically. so, what the sesame street writers did was, through a very cunning play on words, combine the two possible meanings of the word 'count' into the name of the character, so 'the counting count' becomes simply 'the count', while still holding on to that very clever double meaning. so as you can see, the reason he counts is due to his name being 'the count'. must have taken some clever folks to write that show - and you can count on that!

You don't call somebody who counts a "count".  You call them a "counter".

They should have had a puppet of a shop counter or a kitchen counter and called it "The Counter", then all the counting carry-on would have made some modicum of fucking sense.

Absorb the anus burn

Superstitious Vampire Anxiety Types in Eastern Europe are known to leave piles of rice on window ledges.... Vampires feel compelled to count each grain of rice before they can enter the house and suck their baby daughter's neck.

He's called The Count for many reasons.... Deep, profound shit.

beanheadmcginty

The demo mode on all the Casio keyboards we had at school was playing an instrumental version of Venus by Bananarama/Shocking Blue.

Replies From View

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 12, 2019, 05:17:49 PM
The demo mode on all the Casio keyboards we had at school was playing an instrumental version of Venus by Bananarama/Shocking Blue.

Actually it was the Wham! song Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU9cug8GcDQ

Quote from: Twed on May 12, 2019, 05:22:43 PM
https://youtu.be/JkvP9sqXaCM?t=1578

That's a Yamaha keyboard actually.  Quite literally not a Casio one.

Twed

I think people say "Casio keyboard" to mean "cheap plastic child's keyboard"

Twed

Replies From View

Quote from: Twed on May 12, 2019, 05:39:18 PM
I think people say "Casio keyboard" to mean "cheap plastic child's keyboard"

And they also say 'Venus by Bananarama/Shocking Blue' instead of 'Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham!'

People say wrong things because they are wrong, and I am here to put them right, thank fuck.

Sebastian Cobb

JesusAndYourBush

The only keyboard demo tune I remember is this one.  Anyone know the name of this tune and what keyboard it was?
https://vocaroo.com/i/s19VgmPOWgri

Twed

Yeah, that's Haydn's* Toy Symphony. Comments would suggest the keyboard was a Casio SK-1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7z5PnbIKE

This is etched into my mind because our primary school put on a performance of it that almost killed us. It involved water. I would do anything for the VHS of this.

*or possibly Mozart's dad

NoSleep

The Twat Sisters' "Eat My Pussy" uses an SK1 because they let the sample play out after the track finishes using the Toy Symphony demo (not featured in the following, it's listed as a separate track):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLomlCkjkyw

Icehaven

I had a keyboard in the late 80s/early 90s that had Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are as the demo, which my Mother cleverly noted was probably picked as it was about changing, and the sounds kept changing. Think it was a Yamaha.

Edit- yeah this was it
https://youtu.be/SDe2aXCPkjk

Remember Venus as well though, definite classic.

Rizla

Quote from: icehaven on May 12, 2019, 08:11:54 PM
I had a keyboard in the late 80s/early 90s that had Billy Joel's Just The Way You Are as the demo, which my Mother cleverly noted was probably picked as it was about changing, and the sounds kept changing. Think it was a Yamaha.

Edit- yeah this was it
https://youtu.be/SDe2aXCPkjk
We had about 20 of those in our music class at school - as the teacher was always 5mins late I would often set them all playing the demo at once but offset by a bar each, like some sort of Steve Reich piece.

a duncandisorderly

I don't think my casio MT-65 (the second one I've owned) even has a demo mode. the two VL-1s that are now in possession of my kids (5 & 3) play 'the yellow rose of texas', iirc.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Rizla on May 12, 2019, 08:20:23 PM
We had about 20 of those in our music class at school - as the teacher was always 5mins late I would often set them all playing the demo at once but offset by a bar each, like some sort of Steve Reich piece.

the kids do that with the VL-tones. :-)