Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:01:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Radio DJing software

Started by Famous Mortimer, December 06, 2023, 02:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I've started volunteering at a community radio station round these parts, and it's a lot of fun. Up to now, I've just been grabbing a bunch of FLACs and them playing them via VLC on the station's Mac (as well as chatting occasionally), but I was listening to one of the other shows and they sounded more professional, cross-fading, having a bed, not being a mumbling fuckwit, etc.

I'm sure there must be a few other DJs among you, so I was wondering if there was some software I could use that would allow me to do things like auto fade-in / fade-out, play a bed, etc. I could presumably do these things manually, but that all seems like a lot of work.

I don't need it to stream, or broadcast to a server, or whatever, I'll be plugging my laptop into the board at the station and they take care of everything else. Just something to automate the fiddly bits. I've looked at Mixxx and RadioDJ.ro, but I'm not sure what to invest my time into learning.

Sebastian Cobb

I think mixxx is more for pre-assembling playlists and turning them into a seamless mix.

Something like virtual DJ would allow you to crossfade and cue up tracks 'live'.

But if it's a radio station with a proper mixing desk or board I'd expect them to have some playout equipment/software that you could plug a USB stick into integrated with the board and you can have nice tactile controls, have you checked they don't?

Famous Mortimer

There's nothing obvious, certainly, but I could have a look and ask a few of the people who've been there forever.