Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:06:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Elden Ring - Shadow of the Erdtree [split topic]

Started by Chollis, February 20, 2024, 08:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poobum

Messmer is such a bad name, can't take it seriously, and nor will I after the two hours I'm gonna spend not beating them.

druss

One of my biggest hopes for this DLC is that they fix the graphical glitches on PS5. Crazy that pop in is still a regular occurrence over two years after release.

madhair60

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: druss on February 22, 2024, 05:01:55 PMOne of my biggest hopes for this DLC is that they fix the graphical glitches on PS5. Crazy that pop in is still a regular occurrence over two years after release.

I run the PS4 version on a PS5, which is apparently the most stable way to play the game somehow.

I popped on last night since I assumed the trailer would've inspired a boost in co-op. Not so! Just getting summoned for Malenia or Maliketh every five or ten minutes by hosts with zero Vigor who die almost instantly. Business as usual then.

druss

I've not really done any Co op on Elden Ring as I usually go with honour duels on bosses but I might do some for the other thread when I get round to Elden Ring. We should get a CaB password for co op going!

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 22, 2024, 05:26:38 PMI run the PS4 version on a PS5, which is apparently the most stable way to play the game somehow.

This is quite fucking stupid isn't it, crazy that they haven't thought that maybe this is something to rectify. Tempted to buy the PS4 version, did see it on offer in Game recently but didn't buy it and that Game has now closed down.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: druss on February 22, 2024, 06:48:34 PMI've not really done any Co op on Elden Ring as I usually go with honour duels on bosses but I might do some for the other thread when I get round to Elden Ring. We should get a CaB password for co op going!

I don't tend to summon other players, but it's the only way to replay bosses without blitzing through another playthrough!

Yeah, a CaB password would be grand. I think one of the Miyazaki interviews implied that this new DLC would feature seamless co-op, so hopefully they'll patch that into the base game too!

Poobum

Quote from: madhair60 on February 22, 2024, 05:21:39 PMalright poobum

Am not to be taken serious either but my second form has never been beaten.

Cuellar

Mobius

just booted up Elden Ring again and realised that at some point, I wiped all my save games (why do i do that) so I am going to have to start over, as presumably this DLC will require you to be level 150 and have beaten the main boss or something!

I think I will play a cowardly spellcaster again, as I've come to accept I'm shit at the game. glad to hear there's still people to summon!

Chollis

oh god I hadn't even considered that, just checked my main save and he's level 184. how have previous DLCs handled this, is there some option to go into them at the "recommended" level?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Chollis on February 22, 2024, 11:06:34 PMoh god I hadn't even considered that, just checked my main save and he's level 184. how have previous DLCs handled this, is there some option to go into them at the "recommended" level?

No, although there appears to be some vague talk about this DLC having its own Sekiro-like "attack power" system, meaning your level outside won't necessarily affect your damage output. That's all we know for now, mind.

Mobius

Downloaded the ps5 version and played for a bit then got the ps4 version and the difference in performance is so noticeable. It was made for ps4 I guess? But I can't believe they improved it on ps5

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Poobum on February 22, 2024, 01:34:19 PMMessmer is such a bad name, can't take it seriously, and nor will I after the two hours I'm gonna spend not beating them.

Makes me think of this

Spreadable Norwegian brown cheese.

Never eaten it myself as it looks revolting; my kids liked it when they were toddlers, though it had a weird laxative effect on them.

chutnut

Quote from: Chollis on February 22, 2024, 11:06:34 PMoh god I hadn't even considered that, just checked my main save and he's level 184. how have previous DLCs handled this, is there some option to go into them at the "recommended" level?

Usually the DLCs are accessible fairly early on in the playthrough (maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the way through) but are almost always harder than the main game so best left until the end/near the end. I've never seen any recommended level or anything though. By the time I'd finished the Bloodborne DLC I was pretty much overpowered for the last bosses of the main game which was a bit annoying, but only really a problem if it's your first playthrough

Noodle Lizard

You'll have to have done Mohg to get to this one, and he's a difficult optional endgame boss (though you can get to him sooner).

Still, I reckon anything above Level 150 is sort of trivial; you don't really get any stronger, you just add more tools to your belt by putting points into other stats once you've hit your damage cap.

Here's the Miyazaki quote about the DLC's leveling system:

QuoteThere is an element of leveling unique to the DLC.

Think of the attack power system in Sekiro. Seperate from the original level system there is an "attack power" that is only enabled in the DLC areas.

This was introduced in order to give freedom to meet the threats mentioned earlier, so you can do something like exploring other areas before going back to challenge bosses that were too strong the first time, allowing you to more easily experience this even in the high-level range.

On the other hand, by keeping your attack power low, you can also experience this challenge at a lower level.

Thursday

It's true once you finished the game, and especially Malenia and all that, you're probably at the kind of "soft cap" for your important stats where they aren't making much difference if you increase them and you've probably fully upgraded your main weapon.

I do wonder if this might cause a bit of a problem though, doing they're thing of having some quite obtuse entry points to a DLC people are paying quite a lot for with a much larger audience than previously.

Noodle Lizard

By the sounds of it, you wouldn't want to be wandering into the DLC unless you were familiar enough with the game to beat Mohg. DS1 and DS2 both require you to get to the endgame too. I suppose they've never locked it behind an optional boss before (unless you count the hydra), but I think it's fair enough. Locking it behind Malenia would be a real 'fuck you'.

For replayability though, I like that you can get to the Bloodborne and DS3 DLCs within an hour or two of playing on NG+ and there are no obtuse requirements.

Thursday

Yeah but I mean a lot of people make these purchases without really knowing much about it or what it'll involve.

druss

Quote from: Thursday on February 23, 2024, 12:54:54 PMYeah but I mean a lot of people make these purchases without really knowing much about it or what it'll involve.
Still love the thought of someone buying the DS1 dlc and not thinking to look online about how to access it.

oggyraiding

Are there any builds that make the game less hard? I only really play Souls games with a quality build.

Mobius

Quote from: Mobius on February 23, 2024, 09:41:24 AMDownloaded the ps5 version and played for a bit then got the ps4 version and the difference in performance is so noticeable. It was made for ps4 I guess? But I can't believe they improved it on ps5

too late to edit this but realise i got my words wrong - was meant to say how SHIT the ps5 performance is, and how smoothly the ps4 version runs on ps5 and how stupid that is

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: oggyraiding on February 23, 2024, 07:07:44 PMAre there any builds that make the game less hard? I only really play Souls games with a quality build.

Yes and no. There are some optimised builds that can trivialise large portions of the game, but will roadblock you when it comes to others. Bleed builds, for instance, are useless against the final boss, and ranged magic builds aren't going to help you much against someone like Malenia or Maliketh.

I think Quality builds are a bit underserved, at least until you get to very high levels, but the unlimited affinity-switching mechanic sort of makes up for that. You'd be better off focusing on one physical damage stat and supporting it with one magic stat (Faith being the better option for melee builds because of all its support/buff incantations).

Mobius

The "easiest" way to play the game is as a spellcaster attacking from range and l running away from enemies. For the bosses that magic sucks on, you can summon help. I completed the game as a mage and I'm really shit at these games.

Mobius

Well I'm up to the last boss

Beaten Malenia, all the other big bosses. Ordina Town sucks.

Can't be bothered doing some of the dungeons. The gauntlet ones with moving traps are annoying.

Still hate the summoning system and how missable the quests/npcs are is silly

Noodle Lizard

Mobius

haha this is my new game due to me deleting every single save game for everything i've ever played on my ps5, for some idiotic reason.

it was a good excuse to start fresh for the DLC, instead of picking up a 2 year old save I have no memory of.

i have done those 3 yep. did all of ranni's stuff, gone down into leyndell sewers.

i'm just having fun exploring every nook and cranny at the moment, stormveil castle has so many little sidepaths and stuff it's mad.

there was a dragon in the wild i legged it past, and now i can't find him. he shot lightning similar to placidux, but he was out in the open world somewhere.

it's so annoying how dungeons/graces don't have a little tick next to them or something if you've already beaten the boss. would having some sort of jounral/beastiary/completion list really make the game less hardcore and purist COME ON

Noodle Lizard

There was a whole part of Raya Lucaria I only just found this year.

Quote from: Mobius on March 05, 2024, 09:26:20 PMthere was a dragon in the wild i legged it past, and now i can't find him. he shot lightning similar to placidux, but he was out in the open world somewhere.

Was that the one in Altus Plateau? His name's Analsex and he moves to a hill near the capital where you can finish him off.

Mobius

cheers! that sounds right yep. i'll have to go and kick his arse after work.

i still want to fully explore the mohgwyn palace place as i haven't really run around there too much. and properly check haligtree. some of the knights there a lot of hp. but i got my needle and reversed the frenzied flame.

annoyingly trophies aren't shared between the ps4/ps5 versions of the game even though it's the same console/psn account... i had everything except 2 endings and an armament/talisman or two. i mean i don't care about trophies but it'd be nice to platinum something!