Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

February 26, 2024, 10:40:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee on tour

Started by spaghetamine, January 17, 2023, 02:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaghetamine

Anyone else planning on catching him? The Bristol one sold out super quick so I'm going to the Cardiff one with a mate (fellow fan) on the 25th. I'd like to chat to him after the show if possible, from what I've read on here he seems to be a pretty affable guy when he's offstage.

MigraineBoy

Liverpool Philharmonic in early Feb - the last time I saw him at the Philharmonic was early Feb 2020 & my last night out before the world shut down.  I do hope that isn't the case again.

kitsofan34

I think his whole schtick is so worn out and tired now that I'll need to miss at least one tour before it feels even remotely fresh.

bgmnts

Aye Cardiff on the 24th if I'm physically well enough. Looking forward to it.

JamesTC

Quote from: Vroomo on January 17, 2023, 02:32:29 PMLiverpool Philharmonic in early Feb - the last time I saw him at the Philharmonic was early Feb 2020 & my last night out before the world shut down.  I do hope that isn't the case again.

I'll be there too. Booked it the night I came back from Snowflake/Tornado last year so I'm front row.

sutin

Going to see him next Tuesday in Cardiff.

BritishHobo

Quote from: kitsofan34 on January 17, 2023, 02:37:02 PMI think his whole schtick is so worn out and tired now that I'll need to miss at least one tour before it feels even remotely fresh.

I feel the same. Was tempted to see him in Cardiff but I struggled with Snowflake/Tornado, don't think I'll enjoy it if it's much more of the same.


DJ Bob Hoskins

I saw his current show (Basic Lee) back in November at the Leicester Square Theatre and thought it was excellent. I reckon it's one of his funniest sets for a while; better than Snowflake/Tornado.

Without spoiling anything: yes, his routine follows a similar formula to his previous material, but this show felt a bit more playful and loose (though it was still a work in progress when I saw it so that may have helped). Anyway, I found it really funny.

Got to chat to him for a minute or two at the merch stand afterwards and he was lovely.

non capisco

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on January 17, 2023, 04:10:41 PMI saw his current show (Basic Lee) back in November at the Leicester Square Theatre and thought it was excellent. I reckon it's one of his funniest sets for a while; better than Snowflake/Tornado.

Without spoiling anything: yes, his routine follows a similar formula to his previous material, but this show felt a bit more playful and loose (though it was still a work in progress when I saw it so that may have helped). Anyway, I found it really funny.

Got to chat to him for a minute or two at the merch stand afterwards and he was lovely.

Concur with this. First time I've seen him intentionally do crowd work and the
Spoiler alert
JK Rowling
[close]
routine had me in fits.

Twilkes

Got given two tickets for Christmas but it's front row upper circle so I'm tempted to just go on my own so I'm at least guaranteed some fucking legroom.

Saw him at XS Malarkey in 2007 with the 41st Best Comedian show, best two quid I ever spent!

Tiggles

Yep, Salford at the end of March, bought as soon as they went on sale like the Pavlovian comedy slave that I am.

Looking forward to it. Like others, I do see that he has been treading over old ground. Also like others, I am curious as to how he is responding to what he knows is out there as criticism and taking his work into the next phase. I bet I laugh myself silly.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Tiggles on January 17, 2023, 09:12:03 PMYep, Salford at the end of March, bought as soon as they went on sale like the Pavlovian comedy slave that I am.

you did the right thing. I've left it too late and I can only get seats in the amphitheatre. I'm blind as a bat, I'll see nothing!

Jerzy Bondov

I always want to chat to him but I have nothing to say to him and come away feeling like a massive embarrassment. Looking forward to doing that again.

Dr Rock

Please spoil the
Spoiler alert
JK Rowling stuff
[close]

king_tubby

Lazy bastard isn't playing Leeds so he can go piss up a rope. Or play Leeds in the autumn.

Ray Travez

Quote from: king_tubby on January 18, 2023, 08:53:23 AMLazy bastard isn't playing Leeds so he can go piss up a rope. Or play Leeds in the autumn.

Please update the thread if you see he's added tickets. I'll do the same. Can't believe he won't do at least two dates in Leeds at some point.

non capisco

Quote from: Dr Rock on January 18, 2023, 08:47:07 AMPlease spoil the
Spoiler alert
JK Rowling stuff
[close]

Spoiler alert
He keeps trying to read a joke he's affected to have written off a bit of paper that starts 'JK Rowling, when she's writing stories about a magical wizard boy or something, writes with her real name but when she's writing her thrillers, she writes with a man's name' and then reacts to the laughter of recognition from the audience that it's going to be about her terfery with increasingly exasperated protestations "No, what you seem to think it'll be about, it's not about THAT!" and in his multiple attempts to get the joke out goes on a load of tangents that reference the shit he got from terfs and Linehan (not named but referenced on the night I went as "some mad shaking man shouting at me in his attic"). His multiple attempts to tell the joke and not get past "she writes with a man's name" was classic repetitive Stew and had me in tears of laughter.
[close]

BritishHobo


Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Ray Travez on January 18, 2023, 09:07:51 AMPlease update the thread if you see he's added tickets. I'll do the same. Can't believe he won't do at least two dates in Leeds at some point.

Likely because the rearranged Leeds dates for Snowflake/Tornado were towards the end of the run, so he'll presumably perform this show in Leeds towards the end of the run as well. I'll also be checking his site and this thread for any sign of those dates being announced, and update if I spot anything.

MigraineBoy

He said his Son is doing his GCSEs this year so he's taking June/July off (aside from 2 London dates) then he'll pick the tour back up again in the Autumn until early 2024.

Captain Z

Why, is he taking them for him?

(Examiner: Blimey, Stewart Lee's son has let himself go)

Kelvin

That Rowling bit does sound funny (if hardly cutting edge).

centristmelt

#23
I don't get how this will be a reinvention in any way, but I'm definitely going if and when he come to Leeds.

non capisco

Quote from: Kelvin on January 18, 2023, 04:32:59 PMThat Rowling bit does sound funny (if hardly cutting edge).

Oh it's definitely not cutting edge but it seemed to be quite a cathartic bit for him.

bgmnts

Seeing him tomorrow, and I read it's about 2 hours 25 minutes long, kicking off at 19.45. Annoyingly, welsh trains are so fucking shite that the last train that day s 21.55, and it's about a 10/15 minute walk away.

So either going to have to slink off 10 minutes before the end or watch the whole thing and wait til fucking 00.30 for the meat train.

JamesTC

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2023, 08:25:56 AMSeeing him tomorrow, and I read it's about 2 hours 25 minutes long, kicking off at 19.45. Annoyingly, welsh trains are so fucking shite that the last train that day s 21.55, and it's about a 10/15 minute walk away.

So either going to have to slink off 10 minutes before the end or watch the whole thing and wait til fucking 00.30 for the meat train.

If you stay till the end, he usually speaks to fans after show which might be worth sticking around for.

bgmnts

Decided not going to see Lee tonight so if anyone wants the ticket I can email it to them.

Dr Rock

Quote from: non capisco on January 18, 2023, 09:09:11 AM
Spoiler alert
He keeps trying to read a joke he's affected to have written off a bit of paper that starts 'JK Rowling, when she's writing stories about a magical wizard boy or something, writes with her real name but when she's writing her thrillers, she writes with a man's name' and then reacts to the laughter of recognition from the audience that it's going to be about her terfery with increasingly exasperated protestations "No, what you seem to think it'll be about, it's not about THAT!" and in his multiple attempts to get the joke out goes on a load of tangents that reference the shit he got from terfs and Linehan (not named but referenced on the night I went as "some mad shaking man shouting at me in his attic"). His multiple attempts to tell the joke and not get past "she writes with a man's name" was classic repetitive Stew and had me in tears of laughter.
[close]

Thanks, that's jolly funny

sutin

Quote from: bgmnts on January 23, 2023, 08:25:56 AMSeeing him tomorrow, and I read it's about 2 hours 25 minutes long, kicking off at 19.45. Annoyingly, welsh trains are so fucking shite that the last train that day s 21.55, and it's about a 10/15 minute walk away.

So either going to have to slink off 10 minutes before the end or watch the whole thing and wait til fucking 00.30 for the meat train.

Ah just wait to the end and then go nurse a pint afterwards. I love doing that when I have to hang around for a train after a gig.

EDIT - I just saw you're not going anymore.