Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

February 26, 2024, 09:55:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee on tour

Started by spaghetamine, January 17, 2023, 02:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Wet Blanket on February 08, 2024, 09:51:46 PMHe did an extended bit about Frankie Boyle he reckoned he'd never done before - but is that true?

Frankie Boyle got a mention at the end of the defining stand-up bit - one man, one mic, one audience ... and a team of uncredited joke writers if you are Frankie Boyle.

But that was about it.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: TheDevilPuppet on February 09, 2024, 06:23:40 AMFrankie Boyle got a mention at the end of the defining stand-up bit - one man, one mic, one audience ... and a team of uncredited joke writers if you are Frankie Boyle.

But that was about it.

He elaborated on this when the audience made a shocked noise, and seemed to genuinely make himself do that cackle laugh he does.

I've a question - y'know the audience interaction ("what's that on your tshirt?") Was he very clued up about one of the subjects of the t-shirts?

I ask because on Tuesday he glanced at the writing on his hand when the t-shirt was a Roy Lichtenstein piece, leading me to think he'd clocked it earlier and Googled the finer points about it.

Because if went - Lichtenstein (knowledgeable) Spaceballs (claimed to not know what it was) Genesis (the wearer knew more than he did)

FeederFan500

He did that about a Star Wars t-shirt, saying that line was actually when X happened wasn't it?

Then someone had a Crime and Punishment t shirt, he went off stage for a bit and came back to give biographical details of Dostoevsky.

Spoiler alert
Only the first of these is true obviously
[close]

BritishHobo

In Wrexham he
Spoiler alert
picked on someone who had a shirt with 12 moths on it, hammered him for not having a favourite moth, and then developed a whole thing about Ryan Reynolds filling the football stadium with moths to add to his portfolio, which ran through most of the second half.
[close]

majava

The show I saw
Spoiler alert
He labelled Pink Floyd and all their fans cunts
[close]

mjwilson

Quote from: TheDevilPuppet on February 09, 2024, 09:49:51 AMI've a question - y'know the audience interaction ("what's that on your tshirt?") Was he very clued up about one of the subjects of the t-shirts?

When I saw the show in Salford someone had a band T-shirt and he asked them what their favourite album by the band was. They had no idea. He seemed pretty knowledgable about the band.

Tikwid

I went to see him in Exeter last year and one of the tees he pointed out was a League of Gentlemen shirt, which prompted him to tell a short anecdote about recently bumping into [Shearsmith?/Pemberton?/Gatiss?] at the Fringe - a few seats along someone had a shirt that just said COLUMBUS in big letters, and Stew of course made the cheeky comment that he was repping the colonisation and subjugation of the Americas. Both replies sounded pretty spontaneous but I wouldn't be surprised if he does quitely take note of the more obscure shirts in the front row during the first half, and does a quick Google search during the interval for observations to make about them.

That show also had the giddy and impossibly surreal moment of him directly addressing me (I was in the front row) after the gag about a cheesy 70s advert - can't remember which one, maybe Cadbury's Milk Tray? Whichever one it was he suddenly turned to me and said something like "You probably won't remember that advert, you're too young, but that's okay, you've got your own things that you like. And also NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT YOU."

king_tubby

Quote from: Tikwid on February 10, 2024, 04:03:12 AMbut I wouldn't be surprised if he does quitely take note of the more obscure shirts in the front row during the first half, and does a quick Google search during the interval for observations to make about them.

He mentioned tonight reading that about him on the internet and how he actually doesn't do that actually so hiya Stew, really enjoyed the show!

FeederFan500

The character Stewart Lee would say he doesn't do that whether or not it happens tbf

PaulTMA

I remember Stew said "I hate Bon Jovi" when they appeared via satellite (or whatever it was) on the TOTP he and Rich presented.  Never mind John Peel's sardonic comments and all that, his has got to be the rudest introduction in the show's entire history

king_tubby

Spoiler alert
I didn't know that the Prosecco Stormfront had doxxed him
[close]

BritishHobo

When I saw Stew last weekend on stage he said he was going to send fifty pounds to BritishHobo

holyzombiejesus

When I saw him in Salford, he asked someone what the slogan on their t-shirt was from and the audience member said Fontaine's DC. Stewart said he didn't know the band but asked if the audience member had the album of Irish traditional folk songs that one of the band members had put together. When the audience member said not, Stewart took great delight in saying "I like an album that's better than the one you like, and you don't even know about it."

mr. logic

He definitely googles the t-shirts at the interval.

He was good in Newcastle on Sunday but seemed a bit knackered. More than once he confused it with Liverpool. I didn't get the final joke at all, can anybody explain it?

Small Man Big Horse

He's doing a bunch of work in progress shows at Always Be Comedy in June and September, and some still available for the latter (though as they always do with big acts they don't using his entire name), and if you sign up to their email newsletter they may well announce more soon too.

https://www.alwaysbecomedy.com/tickets
or
https://www.alwaysbecomedy.com/

Magnum Valentino

Does that mean that Basic Lee will be finished (and hopefully recorded) by then? He didn't play NI this time so I'll not see it otherwise.

non capisco

Booked for one of the June WIPs so we will see whether he comes out as a werewolf or not.

king_tubby

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 13, 2024, 08:41:03 PMDoes that mean that Basic Lee will be finished (and hopefully recorded) by then?

He said he was recording in Salford.

Oosp

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 13, 2024, 07:40:18 PMHe's doing a bunch of work in progress shows at Always Be Comedy in June and September, and some still available for the latter (though as they always do with big acts they don't using his entire name), and if you sign up to their email newsletter they may well announce more soon too.

https://www.alwaysbecomedy.com/tickets
or
https://www.alwaysbecomedy.com/

THANK YOU!!! Just got tickets to see KEVIN ELDON! Holy shit

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Oosp on February 13, 2024, 09:21:10 PMTHANK YOU!!! Just got tickets to see KEVIN ELDON! Holy shit

I'll be at Eldon on 11 April. Can't wait!

Quote from: BritishHobo on February 05, 2024, 10:37:43 PM
Spoiler alert
pegging Ryan Reynolds and "the other one, whose name I can't remember" as patronising Hollywood conmen taking the yokels for a ride, like Phil Hartman in the monorail episode of The Simpsons
[close]

I'm from North Wales, and while this is hardly wrong, Reynolds and the other one are still in the face of this a step up from the kind of football club owners we usually get - in particular they're less likely to take the money and run, since they have more to lose in terms of prestige.

Spoiler alert
I also once told the other one to his face that IASIP isn't as good as it used to be.
[close]

ElTwopo

Quote from: mr. logic on February 13, 2024, 08:18:49 AMHe definitely googles the t-shirts at the interval.

Someone should go wearing a fairly obscure or interesting t-shirt and then put a different one on during the interval.

mr. logic

Quote from: ThaBiggPaybacc on February 15, 2024, 11:28:49 AMI'm from North Wales, and while this is hardly wrong, Reynolds and the other one are still in the face of this a step up from the kind of football club owners we usually get - in particular they're less likely to take the money and run, since they have more to lose in terms of prestige.

Spoiler alert
I also once told the other one to his face that IASIP isn't as good as it used to be.
[close]

How did he respond?

Quote from: mr. logic on February 16, 2024, 07:32:53 AMHow did he respond?

He took it in good humour, though given the context (one of his producers specifically sought me out to say as much because I'd written something to the same effect) you would hope he would.

Spoiler alert
The upshot was that IASIP was kind of a victim of its own success, and more-recent plots like 'they all go to, sigh, the superbowl and have a lovely day out' inevitably won't be as funny as the squalor with which they made their name.
[close]

leterel

Quote from: ElTwopo on February 15, 2024, 08:45:55 PMSomeone should go wearing a fairly obscure or interesting t-shirt and then put a different one on during the interval.

I've got front row tickets next week and I've got one of his '...All the cheeses' T-Shirts. It might cause a meta-black hole, or just make me look like I've tried too hard. Tempted though.

Hat FM

a great thing for anyone going to see stew in the future would be to think of a fake band name and have that printed on a t-shirt. stew will probably be late for the second half of the show havning frantically googled said band during the interval and the rest of the gig will go terribly. Jokes on him.

Cold Meat Platter

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: Hat FM on February 23, 2024, 09:02:59 PMa great thing for anyone going to see stew in the future would be to think of a fake band name and have that printed on a t-shirt. stew will probably be late for the second half of the show havning frantically googled said band during the interval and the rest of the gig will go terribly. Jokes on him.
Post the fake band name here so that his Googling must inevitably lead him to discovering what wacky japesters we are via this thread.

Spoiler alert
Hi Stew!
[close]

TheAssassin

Quote from: Tikwid on February 10, 2024, 04:03:12 AMI wouldn't be surprised if he does quitely take note of the more obscure shirts in the front row during the first half, and does a quick Google search during the interval for observations to make about them.

What someone should do is wear an obscure t-shirt that he cannot comment on without Google, than during the break, wear a jumper over it and watch his reaction when he can't see that obscure t-shirt.