Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 26, 2024, 04:09:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Partridge - Big Beacon (New Book)

Started by Malcy, May 11, 2023, 05:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

I've never heard the saying, but I like the idea that Alan has misunderstood it as A barking dog, Seldom, bites.

Milo

Pretty sure that the name Seldom is never explicitly explained but the theory is sound.

Ferris

"next to the lighthouse-shaped slide" is a nice bit of ludicrous foreshadowing I missed on previous reads/listens.

popcorn

I love the description of Seldom drinking a bowl of Coca-Cola.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on December 04, 2023, 04:45:13 PMI love the description of Seldom drinking a bowl of Coca-Cola.

Minor criticism that the "Fentimans Cola" line was repeated word for word from an earlier Partridge work (Oasthouse S1?)

Milo

Quote from: Ferris on December 04, 2023, 03:11:07 PM"next to the lighthouse-shaped slide" is a nice bit of ludicrous foreshadowing I missed on previous reads/listens.

Ha, yep. Think he later refers to the lighthouse as 'helter-skelter shaped'.

Menu

Quote from: daf on November 27, 2023, 11:43:41 PMThe legendary Schapps foreword is indeed included in the book version and it is GOLD!

Spoiler alert
Only joking - no sign of it other than a mention on the title page.

[close]

Thanks for this Daf. So what's the joke then? I don't get it.

Menu

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on December 04, 2023, 02:49:28 AMDon't think so, although I haven't read Big Beacon yet.

You're undermining my confidence a bit now. My uncle used the phrase when I was a nipper and shit-scared of his pet yapster, so maybe I'm seeing a joke that isn't actually there.

No it makes sense. Still a bit weird though. Unexplained, like the tooth badge in TTWAP.

Menu

Quote from: popcorn on December 04, 2023, 04:45:13 PMI love the description of Seldom drinking a bowl of Coca-Cola.

So do the writers because it crops up verbatim in the podcast and Big Beacon.

EDIT: Ferris beat me to it.

Maurice Yeatman

There was a bit about Seldom in a Partridge interview in last week's Big Issue - Alan angry about This Time's staff holding one-minute silences for Prince Philip, Captain Tom, Michael Apted and Gerry Marsden, but not wanting to do the same for his dog.
Is that original material or culled from Big Beacon? I can scan it and post it here if anyone wants me to, now it's no longer on sale.

Menu

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on December 06, 2023, 01:32:08 AMThere was a bit about Seldom in a Partridge interview in last week's Big Issue - Alan angry about This Time's staff holding one-minute silences for Prince Philip, Captain Tom, Michael Apted and Gerry Marsden, but not wanting to do the same for his dog.
Is that original material or culled from Big Beacon? I can scan it and post it here if anyone wants me to, now it's no longer on sale.

Oooh yes please. I don't remember that in Big Beacon but it's hard to absorb every part of 8 hour audiobook.

Maurice Yeatman

Menu

Maurice Yeatman

Had to take a ropy photo instead, hope it's readable - click/tap or open image in a new window to enlargicate.

I'm very disappointed to say that for the last two days the audiobook has been discoverable on YT

Menu

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on December 06, 2023, 02:33:15 PMHad to take a ropy photo instead, hope it's readable - click/tap or open image in a new window to enlargicate.

Brilliant. Thanks for uploading that, mate.

Captain Z

Quote from: Cuellar on June 01, 2022, 09:34:06 AMI'd often wondered about 'Denton' being the name of his house. Was it actually 'Denton Abbey' in the show? I always assumed it had something to do with Simon Denton, but it's just struck me that it sounds like 'Downton Abbey', the fact that it's also Simon's name being an extra little powerplay/unnecessary mind-game Alan might play with a subordinate.

In BB Alan says that the house party where he "did an E" (shown in Scissored Isle) was "near Denton". This has now gone too far

QDRPHNC

I think the Gibbons do it specifically to fuck with this forum. I expect in the next thing Alan will mention Pete Best in passing.

buttgammon

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 07, 2023, 03:33:35 PMI think the Gibbons do it specifically to fuck with this forum. I expect in the next thing Alan will mention Pete Best in passing.

If he does that, he's got another thing coming!

Cuellar

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on December 07, 2023, 03:23:45 PMIn BB Alan says that the house party where he "did an E" (shown in Scissored Isle) was "near Denton". This has now gone too far

Yes, I clocked this in Big Beacon too.

There must be something going on. Must be.

kalowski

Loved that the name of the horse he had shares in was called Northern Ireland Protocol.

kalowski

My son has just remarked how all the reviews in the back cover are by people like "Finty, aged 7 (privately educated)"

Milo

Only just realised that Lynn moved to Kent as well for the duration of the lighthouse refurb.

Lemming

Listening to I, Partridge for the billionth time so I can listen to all the audio stuff back-to-back, and it's staggering how much the character has changed since then. He's so much more of a genuinely nasty stuck-up cunt in I, Partridge, to the point where he almost seems warm and self-deprecating by comparison in Big Beacon and especially Oasthouse. I know much of the first book off by heart but I'm still shocked at how stark the contrast is.

Every line is gold, even when you know it's coming. "And that's despite the very real danger of coming away with a dirty back"

popcorn

Quote from: Lemming on December 11, 2023, 01:35:23 PMListening to I, Partridge for the billionth time so I can listen to all the audio stuff back-to-back, and it's staggering how much the character has changed since then. He's so much more of a genuinely nasty stuck-up cunt in I, Partridge, to the point where he almost seems warm and self-deprecating by comparison in Big Beacon and especially Oasthouse.

That's really interesting because even as early as Mid Morning Matters (which was pre-I, Partridge) Coogan was saying that Alan had softened a lot, they had made him less of a bigot, etc.

There's still an odd balance in BB , OH2+3 and This Time where the Gibbons seem to be using him as a liberal parable since he still fawns over various Tories and hates unions but only achieves personal growth by acknowledging his girlfriend is racist or accidentally turning his cynical fairweather wokeness into real egalitarianism.

The ebook version is 99p on Kindle today (plus other platforms like Apple Books, Google Play Books, Kobo)

Cuellar

Very much enjoyed the unexpectedly enthusiastic pronunciation of
Spoiler alert
Llandudno
[close]
in the chapter about the seagull