Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 22, 2024, 07:42:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Paul Putner's finest moments

Started by Old Thrashbarg, August 12, 2023, 01:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 12, 2023, 11:46:43 AMwe should have a Paul Putner thread sometime

Here we go.

There are so many pieces of brilliance from Putner over the years. A particular favourite of mine is his Oliver Hardy:


In some ways it's a shame he's never had his own vehicle, like It's Kevin, as it's definitely deserved. But I think he probably is best showcased playing smaller roles.

Which other performances stand out?

(Fixed title, BAdmin)


DrGreggles

His cameo in that Comic Relief Blankety Blank sketch as the chauffeur.
Can't put my finger on why it's funny, but it definitely is.

Good One of Wally

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 12, 2023, 01:54:45 PMHis cameo in that Comic Relief Blankety Blank sketch as the chauffeur.
Can't put my finger on why it's funny, but it definitely is.

I think it's the way he adjusts the pretend mirror then spots something suspicious.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Good One of Wally on August 12, 2023, 01:58:32 PMI think it's the way he adjusts the pretend mirror then spots something suspicious.

So much 'business' in 3 seconds.

Pink Gregory

Can't believe the first time I saw him was playing a fairly straight role in Little Britain

frajer

Don't think you could argue it's his finest moment but his Bob Hoskins impressions in the Long Good Friday episode of Smershpod are wonderful.

I find myself deploying Putner's version of "diabolical liberty!" a lot, and it's always his impression I have in mind rather than the Hoskins Shandy.

Pink Gregory


I quite like this, no one's really the lead in it (Serafinowicz's show though) but I like his polite, cowed and hopeful, "...a suit of clothes...and a top hat, for occasions, like..." and "Sillytown...the very thought!"

Twilkes

I almost bought tickets for this at the Fringe in 2010, did anyone see it?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/fringe/2010/inglorious_stereo/

Shaxberd

The shrieking noises he makes as the Curious Orange will stay with me a long time.

Endicott

Quote from: Shaxberd on August 12, 2023, 02:25:46 PMThe shrieking noises he makes as the Curious Orange will stay with me a long time.

Reminiscent of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.


The Late Mike Morris

"you can go to these casserole places these days, and er, well, if you pardon my language, they're just shit"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Late Mike Morris on August 12, 2023, 02:56:59 PM"you can go to these casserole places these days, and er, well, if you pardon my language, they're just shit"

That's the one for me Clive.

Saw him a few years ago doing a thing at the fringe about his love of madness. It wasn't really funny or gripping but was nice to hear him talk passionately about all the same.

Cuellar

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 12, 2023, 02:58:43 PMThat's the one for me Clive.

Saw him a few years ago doing a thing at the fringe about his love of madness. It wasn't really funny or gripping but was nice to hear him talk passionately about all the same.

Thought you meant the state of mind for a bit there and thought it sounded interesting but I suppose you mean the band

madhair60

Quote from: The Late Mike Morris on August 12, 2023, 02:56:59 PM"you can go to these casserole places these days, and er, well, if you pardon my language, they're just shit"

What is this?


Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 12, 2023, 02:58:43 PMSaw him a few years ago doing a thing at the fringe about his love of madness. It wasn't really funny or gripping but was nice to hear him talk passionately about all the same.

I had a ticket for that (it was one of those shows that are on the free fringe but you can buy a ticket to guarantee you'll get in) and as I arrived just before the start, he was locking up the room because nobody had turned up that day. That was a real shame.

Minami Minegishi

Thank you for starting a thread to celebrate rather than describing him as cringe. I nearly bumped a 8-year old Kevin Eldon thread to get rid of that other thread whose title makes me sad.

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

I'm a big fan of both he and Kevin Eldon in TMWRNJ's When Things Get Knocked Over, Spill, or Fall Out of Cupboards. There's something grotesque about both their performances.

Toki

I drank in a pub in Wimbledon while he filmed in the park outside a couple of years ago. Truly both of our finest moment(s?).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 12, 2023, 03:38:43 PMI had a ticket for that (it was one of those shows that are on the free fringe but you can buy a ticket to guarantee you'll get in) and as I arrived just before the start, he was locking up the room because nobody had turned up that day. That was a real shame.

Ha I turned up straight off the bus and didn't have time to print tickets so showed him the email. The doorman went 'nah you're supposed to have a real ticket'
'I won't have time to do that, sorry'
'ah fair enough go in'

?

Langdale

Double glazing salesman in 15 Storeys High. They childlike happy look on his face as he's in the bath because Toby Jones' OCD man insists he must be super clean.

All Surrogate


FIX THE THREAD TITLE PLEASE



Quote from: idunnosomename on August 12, 2023, 01:40:21 PM

I can't remember who highlighted it (in the CaB Radio chat I think it was), but his turn at 2:12 is just delightful.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: All Surrogate on August 12, 2023, 05:24:41 PMFIX THE THREAD TITLE PLEASE


Well that's annoying. And too late to edit now.

JamesTC

The very first thing that came to mind is him playing in the bath whilst in the germophobes flat in 15 Stories High.

non capisco

I don't think I've watched that Apple Shop sketch since it was broadcast. It's amazing. Putner escalating the closing chaos by head butting the individual shop windows just had me howling.

Mr Banlon


Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Langdale on August 12, 2023, 04:48:23 PMDouble glazing salesman in 15 Storeys High. They childlike happy look on his face as he's in the bath because Toby Jones' OCD man insists he must be super clean.

The best part of that is the noise Toby makes when Putner accidentally trumps.

Thursday

Quote from: JamesTC on August 12, 2023, 06:49:19 PMThe very first thing that came to mind is him playing in the bath whilst in the germophobes flat in 15 Stories High.

I also enjoy "And there's no good reason your dad's home smells of shit."

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on August 12, 2023, 01:35:45 PMHere we go.

There are so many pieces of brilliance from Putner over the years. A particular favourite of mine is his Oliver Hardy:

That's one of the best Oliver Hardy impressions I've ever seen.