Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:22:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Your Enthusiasm 12

Started by AzureSky, December 14, 2023, 08:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lipsink

The "cum police" and "Hey Jude" lines absolutely cracked me up.

It does get a bit sadder that Larry is still writing himself potentially dating much younger women especially when he looks visibly older.
Seemed like a set up episode. My prediction is Leon will get the wife pregnant and they'll end up together. Or he and Vince Vaughan will fight over who is the father.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: lipsink on February 23, 2024, 08:31:51 AMThe "cum police" and "Hey Jude" lines absolutely cracked me up.

It does get a bit sadder that Larry is still writing himself potentially dating much younger women especially when he looks visibly older.
Seemed like a set up episode. My prediction is Leon will get the wife pregnant and they'll end up together. Or he and Vince Vaughan will fight over who is the father.

His real life wife is a busty blonde 36 odd years his junior. It's not so far fetched...

I don't understand why Irma is still in this. Not a great character, and it seems very out of character that he'd still be with her.

Blue Jam

Mr Faineant

I like that that's the picture chose. Here's one that better illustrates my point... https://x.com/consequence/status/1315101506409033730?s=20

Mobbd

Episode 4 (Disgruntled) falls apart a little in the last ten minutes but the first twenty minutes are SUBLIME. A phenomenal return to form. Even (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Irma is very funny.

Spoiler alert
You must be Irma.
I am!
[close]

There's also talk of

Spoiler alert
"The Finale" for those who are into that fan theory. A character has even been introduced with a connection to Seinfeld.
[close]

EOLAN

Just didn't gel with me at all. Felt like it was a series of rehearsal performances or something.

I may just be too deep into analysing and recalling all the scenarios and tropes that are similar to other episodes. And on a similar vein, having such a recognisable actor playing a Seinfeld writer grated on me, more than if he was playing any other type of character.

neveragain

Yeah, it made me realise I'm not enjoying this series very much, more watching it out of obligation. There just seemed something lifeless about it, even if some of the farcical aspects had a whiff of the classics. I'm also sick of the fucking golf club now.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mobbd on February 28, 2024, 10:19:35 AMThere's also talk of

Spoiler alert
"The Finale" for those who are into that fan theory. A character has even been introduced with a connection to Seinfeld.
[close]

Spoiler alert
It has to be something to do with that now, doesn't it? Larry gets arrested for a ridiculous law, pleads not guilty and goes to court, people from past seasons of Curb show up in court, Larry goes to prison. OK, maybe it won't play out *exactly* like the Seinfeld finale but the similarities are there already, it definitely feels like they're playing with it.
[close]

Blue Jam

Spoiler alert
Character witnesses.
[close]

neveragain

I really hope not. Wouldn't be any better doing it a second time.

Nowhere Man

Very sad news about Richard Lewis. I can imagine what with all of the most beloved characters getting older and now passing away is playing a huge part in Larry's desire to wrap it up this season.

thr0b

Richard and Larry arguing over who would die first in the most recent episode is perfect timing.

neveragain

Mobius

I didn't mind the episode, though far from a classic. The "pretty pretty" and staredowns felt a bit shoved in for the sake of it. Wish he'd use Leon more too.

Jeff looked a bit rough

sarahzxcv

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 28, 2024, 02:23:19 PM
Spoiler alert
It has to be something to do with that now, doesn't it? Larry gets arrested for a ridiculous law, pleads not guilty and goes to court, people from past seasons of Curb show up in court, Larry goes to prison. OK, maybe it won't play out *exactly* like the Seinfeld finale but the similarities are there already, it definitely feels like they're playing with it.
[close]

I think this element could come from people contributing to the profile he was interviewed for!

Blue Jam

Suzie's pearl overload outfit in the first couples therapy session was incredible. I can't find a better pic but she even had pearls on her shoes:

Frank Wank

Quote from: neveragain on February 28, 2024, 08:40:13 PMI really hope not. Wouldn't be any better doing it a second time.

I really hope so. Would be loads better doing it a second time.

It's 100% going to be a retread of the Seinfeld finalé. The criticism of that stung Larry and it would be entirely in keeping with his personality to say 'you didn't like that? Fuck you, here it is again.' before waltzing into the sunset.

neveragain

Quote from: HMS Beanspiller on March 03, 2024, 11:51:58 AMIt's 100% going to be a retread of the Seinfeld finalé. The criticism of that stung Larry and it would be entirely in keeping with his personality to say 'you didn't like that? Fuck you, here it is again.' before waltzing into the sunset.

I can dig that actually. It would just be a shame since, as evidenced by this thread, it's very predictable.

Armin Meiwes

He really loves that style of storyline doesn't he because I'd forgotten that he did that thing in S9 where the guy who got him off the fatwah went round to all the people that Larry had "wronged" to get them to admit it was kind of their fault, eg Michael J Fox "ok maybe I did give that coke can an extra little shake".

neveragain

Well, I loved that one. It got everything right. Funny and well-played throughout. Richard Lewis did look like a ghost bless him but Larry David's handwriting was a marvel!

I will not forget fish.

Mr. Ssmsslth

I agree, it was the first really good one this season! E04 started very strong but then got worse, I found. Can't believe they recycled "Take the pen" from Seinfeld, though.

There was no pay-off to Larry not hearing what Leon/Cyrus were saying during the lemon crushing/phone call, was there?

bobloblaw

Quote from: Mr. Ssmsslth on March 04, 2024, 03:51:57 PMI agree, it was the first really good one this season! E04 started very strong but then got worse, I found. Can't believe they recycled "Take the pen" from Seinfeld, though.

There was no pay-off to Larry not hearing what Leon/Cyrus were saying during the lemon crushing/phone call, was there?

I think it was just because it's funny to hear Leon saying 'fuck you Larry!' through the noise while LD remained oblivious

Mr. Ssmsslth

wrec

I have multiple issues!

Irma's horror about Larry's illness obviously mirrors his reaction to Loretta's prognosis, but nothing is done with that irony. This season is full of callbacks that merely reference previous plots without doing much else. The pen FFS!

The same goes for the irony of Irma, with her repulsive habits, being squeamish about bodily functions - her reaction is more that of a finicky germaphobe like Larry. It seems more likely that someone like that wouldn't be particularly bothered by such things so if she is, there should be an explanation, and preferably a humourous one (the bit about the ex-husband sets it up but doesn't really explain it).

What kind of writing group would throw out the sponsor's daughter because of Minnie Mouse's advice? That advice sounded sensible and made sense to her. The payoff would work if she'd reluctantly made outlandish changes, but that would have undermined the idea of it being Larry's fault.

Freddy's girlfriend being apparently young enough to be his daughter undermined that subplot I thought.

The brick thing made no sense (who was supposed to have written that anyway?). Of course that would be defamatory. More Cheryl and Ted being unpleasant.

The only real laugh I got was Susie being dressed as Rob Halford by way of Jimmy Krankie in her kitchen. Leon on Tinkerbell was funny, and Larry being overly invested in the kid's name.

neveragain

Quote from: wrec on March 04, 2024, 07:50:24 PMThis season is full of callbacks that merely reference previous plots without doing much else. The pen FFS!

What kind of writing group would throw out the sponsor's daughter because of Minnie Mouse's advice? That advice sounded sensible and made sense to her. The payoff would work if she'd reluctantly made outlandish changes, but that would have undermined the idea of it being Larry's fault.

Leon on Tinkerbell was funny...

Yeah, I found Minnie Mouse's advice not that bad, she sounded quite professional. Leon's views on Tinkerbell could have easily been brought back if he'd walked by at the end and seen the Disney employee dressed as such. (I think she was, wasn't she?) Leading me to think it had been cut out.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

"He had diapers everywhere, he was like the fucking Mummy."

It's sad seeing Richard Lewis looking so frail, but he never lost his knack for a funny improvised line.

Ah man, Lewis looked so frail - I found it quite upsetting to see him looking like that.

Suzy's outfit got the biggest laugh from me this episode - the costume designer must have so much fun with that character - I can never see her without hearing the Ian Faith line from Tap about looking like an Australian's nightmare.

Thought Dan Levy was wasted in this, why not make him the lawyer rather than the lawyer's partner?

Quote from: HMS Beanspiller on March 04, 2024, 11:07:55 PMThought Dan Levy was wasted in this, why not make him the lawyer rather than the lawyer's partner?

The lawyer was Sean Hayes.

EOLAN

Quote from: wrec on March 04, 2024, 07:50:24 PMI have multiple issues!

The brick thing made no sense (who was supposed to have written that anyway?). Of course that would be defamatory. More Cheryl and Ted being unpleasant.

Hobie Turner wrote it. The Seinfeld writer that was the husband of the therapist from the previous episode.

Took me ages to figure out who I thought Dana looked like. Felt I recognised her, but in the end I think I found a strong resemblance to Marie from Breaking Bad. Not sure if anyone else did.