Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 29, 2024, 12:28:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Your Enthusiasm 12

Started by AzureSky, December 14, 2023, 08:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

I had fun playing Spot the Celebrity. Wonder what really happened to the fish...

madhair60

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 20, 2024, 07:25:21 PM
Spoiler alert
Sienna Miller saying "Pretty good huh?" and Larry replying "Yeah, it's pretty good..." and starting to mouth "PRETTEH, PRETTEH, PRETTEH GOOD" but stopping when he realised the moment had passed
[close]

?

hi sorry i really don't mean to be rude but i just watched the episode and this doesn't happen, you have imagined it in your no-doubt deeply twisted mind

Mr. Ssmsslth

No, it does happen. Not in the recent one, in E02, I think.

wrec

Quote from: EOLAN on March 05, 2024, 01:55:33 AMHobie Turner wrote it. The Seinfeld writer that was the husband of the therapist from the previous episode.

Ah right, missed that. Still the idea that it shouldn't be a problem in a place full of rich people and lawyers is too much.

Blue Jam

Did like the phone flashing up with a call from "Cyrus - Irma's sponsor" and being answered with

Spoiler alert
"Hello, Cyrus- Irma's sponsor"
[close]

Mobius

i liked when irma was going on about needing food to line her stomach and larry said "go build your rice base" or something that was funny

madhair60

Quote from: Mr. Ssmsslth on March 05, 2024, 02:22:27 PMNo, it does happen. Not in the recent one, in E02, I think.

it's E03 and it definitely doesn't

Kelvin

Larry himself seems a bit off this season. His performance comes across as a tiny bit more spiteful and irascible somehow. And you need that endearing side to carry you along for the horrible things he does, or when the plotting is weaker. For the first time since the show started, I'm finding him quite unlikeable a lot of the time. 

mhmhmh

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 05, 2024, 08:16:38 PMDid like the phone flashing up with a call from "Cyrus - Irma's sponsor" and being answered with

Spoiler alert
"Hello, Cyrus- Irma's sponsor"
[close]

Yes, with Larry saying 'I know who you are'.

neveragain

Quote from: Kelvin on March 05, 2024, 09:36:56 PMLarry himself seems a bit off this season. His performance comes across as a tiny bit more spiteful and irascible somehow. And you need that endearing side to carry you along for the horrible things he does, or when the plotting is weaker. For the first time since the show started, I'm finding him quite unlikeable a lot of the time. 

Could be intentional, in the manner of Tony Soprano losing all humanity in the final season.

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 11, 2024, 11:41:19 AMListening to the podcast now. The way Jeff keeps interrupting Susie is maddening.

Aw feel a bit bad for him now!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Why? He's incredibly rude.

EDIT: Oh. Right. Jeff's message initially didn't show up in your post for some reason. Yeah, I feel bad now too.

mr. logic

You can feel the guest bristle before just giving up this week. Frustrating as he was cracking as the passive aggressive neighbour and could have told loads of stories about Shandling etc

El Unicornio, mang

Big pet peeve of mine, I know several people who do that and I just continue talking. This often ends up with two people talking at the same time but so be it.

neveragain

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 10, 2024, 12:32:53 PMBig pet peeve of mine, I know several people who do and I just continue talking. This

I often do this too.

Mr Faineant

While I will definitely listen to every single episode of the podcast, I'm always struck by how fucking irritating Jeff is. A genuinely terrible host. However, I feel sympathy for him now, and going forward listening will give me the warm glow of feeling charitable.

Edit. I just read the reviews on Apple Podcasts, and every single one of them is complaining about Jeff. "Show is great, but Jeff ruins it" kind of thing. Poor fat fuck, I hope they don't abandon it.

Latest episode specifically references the Seinfeld finalé, reinforcing my view that LD is going for a massive fuck you with the Curb ending.

Not sure about Lori Loughlin getting to rehabilitate herself here - though I enjoyed what they did with her character.

Mobius

Yes it definitely seems to be heading that way. I quite like the idea of doing the ending that annoyed people again. Personally I never minded the finale.

Yeah they made her look awful at least. Michael Richard's used the show to acknowledge his transgressions too, I didn't mind it really. I assume she's mates with Larry irl.

Loved the scene where LD and Jeff laughing about Suzy's billboard - both genuinely cracking up.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Spoiler alert
There was really no need for Larry to spell out the fact that The Gettysburg Address now triggers a psychosomatic urge to pee, we got the joke from the moment he started squirming when Danson launched into his speech. Show, don't tell, Larry!

I did laugh at Danson's "What the fuck, Larry?" though.
[close]

Still, not a bad episode overall. Quite good. Sporadically amusing. That's my review.

bobloblaw

pleased to see the return of the fish storyline
the freeloader storyline not particularly resolved - is she sticking around for more eps?

Armin Meiwes

Started listening to the Jeff & Susie podcast.. I like it! Jeff's not nearly as irritating as I'd expected, he just seems a bit over excited rather than actually obnoxious.

wrec

After being nonplussed by the last few I really enjoyed that episode.

As with the "Susie store" bathroom subplot a few episodes back, I'm not sure that
Spoiler alert
a 76-year old man having a urinary accident works as a social faux pas, though I suppose the point is that Larry ruined Ted's play
[close]

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: bobloblaw on March 11, 2024, 04:53:46 PMthe freeloader storyline not particularly resolved - is she sticking around for more eps?
This article from The Hollywood Reporter suggests that it was Lori Loughlin's only episode.

There are a few interesting behind-the-scenes bits in that article too about how the episode was written. Jeff Schaffer is insisting the Seinfeld finale references are "just a fun running joke", but I'm hoping that's a misdirection as I'm quite keen on the idea of it being used somehow for the final Curb.

I enjoyed that episode, Sienna Miller did a wonderful job sending herself up. I was a bit confused that we were shown two seemingly-related references (
Spoiler alert
Sienna Miller revealing she had alopecia, and Jeff slapping the guy who laughed at Susie using the same "get my wife's name out of your mouth" quote that Will Smith used before slapping Chris Rock for his joke about her lack of hair, not knowing that she had alopecia
[close]
). I suppose it's meant as a jokey nod for us viewers at home, as opposed to something that's happening for a purpose in their 'real world'.

Also I'm not sure if I'm missing a pun on the name of Susie's business, "Catch as Caftan"? I said it out loud a fair few times trying to work it out, even if there's no pun I'm not actually sure what the phrase means.

Incidentally, you can catch one for yourself for real: Link

wrec

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on March 12, 2024, 01:00:48 PMAlso I'm not sure if I'm missing a pun on the name of Susie's business, "Catch as Caftan"? I said it out loud a fair few times trying to work it out, even if there's no pun I'm not actually sure what the phrase means.

Catch as catch can. An appropriately awful pun.

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: wrec on March 12, 2024, 01:10:49 PMCatch as catch can. An appropriately awful pun.
I've never heard that expression before! Thanks for explaining. That's perfectly contrived, I love it.

Mobbd

https://catchascaftan.com/

Ted looked excellent as Lincoln. Really made me laugh. I hope he gets a real gig as Lincoln.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Angst in my Pants on March 12, 2024, 01:17:33 PMI've never heard that expression before! Thanks for explaining. That's perfectly contrived, I love it.

I think the lyric here is referencing the collected short stories of Joseph Heller but I may be wrong:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_as_Catch_Can:_The_Collected_Stories_and_Other_Writings

Blue Jam

Leon's "car that runs on piss" idea isn't so daft:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68230697

and I can no longer pretend my admiration of Suzie's dress sense is ironic. YASS QUEEN:

https://rowingblazers.com/products/im-a-luxury-sweater-womens?variant=32961842806818

Mobbd

Funkhouser describing casual nose-touching/wiping as being "like a third base coach."

I don't really care for Vince Vaughn but credit where it's due. He was generally good in this episode too, I thought. There was some good micro-stuff in the Minnie Mouse story, especially the moment in the car with the big glove. Really unsignposted. Good stuff.

Tags: