Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

February 26, 2024, 10:53:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Would I Lie To You? (Series 17)

Started by The Lurker, December 15, 2023, 02:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lurker

Starts again December 22.

No Bob this series but still some decent line ups with Victoria Coren Mitchell, Chris McCausland, Charlie Brooker and Sam Campbell.

In fact, I actually met Rob Brydon a few months ago but sadly nothing outlandish happened so I will not be getting a mention.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: The Lurker on December 15, 2023, 02:35:08 PMdecent line ups with Victoria Coren Mitchell
Wait, what? Did she suddenly get a lot funnier?

BritishHobo

Sam Campbell will be great for this. I can't think about Charlie Brooker and Would I Lie To You though after that excruciating moment where Trinny from Trinny and Susannah was adamant she hadn't made a TV show that Brooker was adamant she had. And then the other moment with his story about pretending to be deaf where everyone was genuinely joking but there did still seem to be a vibe of "hmm, you do come off as a genuine shit in this".

The Lurker

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 15, 2023, 02:39:13 PMWait, what? Did she suddenly get a lot funnier?

Ha! She was excellent the last time she was on

Famous Mortimer

Fair enough, I have avoided her appearances for a while. Whenever I used to see her on a thing, she reminded me of me, knowing where a funny bit should go and the sort of shape it should take, but not having anything actually funny to say.

Rankersbo

My wife doesn't find her funny either.

Snrub

First series since Bob made his debut that he hasn't been on - hope he's ok, I know he's popped up a few other places recently and I do think this is filmed way in advanced.

Glad they seemed to have toned down the amount of Strictly people on this series, there seemed to be someone from there on every other episode last series. I know it's a game technically for everyone, but I thought there were a couple of eps last year that could have probably done with an extra comedian in the four guests.

Tapiocahead

I love Bob unreservedly, but there's only so much you can wring out of him for this format.

I hope Pam Ayres gets another go. She was great

Yeah, this won't be a widely shared opinion but I thought Bob's appearances started to get a bit formulaic. Though hopefully his absence isn't health-related.

I've said it here before but I've long given up trying to work out what makes a strong episode of this. A lot of the celebs and reality TV people have been surprisingly good value in recent series.

Anyway it's definitely improved over the last couple of years after a few duff runs. And writers have obviously given up giving David and Lee realistic lies to tell and now use it as an opportunity to let them improvise, which is always great fun.

Excited to see Sam Campbell. Amy Gledhill seems perfect for the format and Mike Bubbins could be good value and all.

neveragain

Apparently Su Pollard is reliably wacky in the Christmas edition.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on December 19, 2023, 03:54:40 PMAnd writers have obviously given up giving David and Lee realistic lies to tell and now use it as an opportunity to let them improvise, which is always great fun.

But the pair need to have a few more true madcap stories up their sleeves to mix it up a bit. I suppose they've simply run out of funny or unusual experiences to tell.

greencalx

I would imagine that a trace element of veracity in one of the captain's stories could be sufficient for it to count as a "truth". (Which was probably how it was for Bob's.)

Minami Minegishi

Mack and Mitchell work in entertainment and must meet famous people all the time. I just don't see how in the past 12-months they don't have at least two or three vaguely interesting stories that could work for the format.

Although not the best stories in the world, I could probably wring out a couple of good ones from the past few months.

Rankersbo

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on December 20, 2023, 09:58:06 AMMack and Mitchell work in entertainment and must meet famous people all the time. I just don't see how in the past 12-months they don't have at least two or three vaguely interesting stories that could work for the format.

Although not the best stories in the world, I could probably wring out a couple of good ones from the past few months.

There was a story about Mitchell's daughter losing a toy in Cardiff which was plainly related to them visiting Victoria while she was recording Only Connect.

Beagle 2

One reason you might not find Victoria Coren-Mitchell side-splittingly funny is that she isn't a comedian.

superthunderstingcar

VCM isn't funny herself (as anyone who has watched Only Connect can surely attest), but she does tend to raise the game of the regulars, making for a funnier show overall.

BritishHobo

Feels a bit surreal seeing Charlie Brooker on a panel show these days.

Utter Shit

Friday's was the best episode in ages I thought, loads of great moments.

The Bumlord

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 16, 2024, 08:47:09 PMFeels a bit surreal seeing Charlie Brooker on a panel show these days.

Ooh, didn't know that.

Thought he'd be living in LA rolling around in a swimming pool full of money.

Oh, Nobody

Feel compelled to point out that this week's 'this is my' guy looked like Jon Hamm fucked Paul Putner.

DSBoy

Last night's episode (26th Jan) was, to me at least, a new peak high for the series. When the panel themselves are besides themselves with laughter that's a good sign too I guess.

I note the episode shown was a last minute change to the schedule (it was billed to be an episode with Sam Campbell). The only reason I can think for them making that swap was suddenly realising they needed to keep Wilf from The Traitors feeling topical?

C_Larence

I imagine that's what it was yeah. I thought it was mediocre.

Utter Shit

I'm with DSBoy here, that episode was great and IMO this series in general has been a sudden, massive step up after a few years of it being cosy, warm but pretty forgettable TV. The last two episodes have been fantastic.

TheDreamIsOver

Apparently, Sam's episode was rescheduled because someone made a joke about King Charles' health in it and the BBC thought it'd be best to move it due to Charlie boy being in hospital. Source: Cambo himself during his tour show.

The Lurker

Latest episode, best of the lot this series IMO. Absolutely hilarious

greencalx

A fairly strong run overall so far. All of the stories this week seemed at about the same level of borderline plausibility.

It does however seem to have fallen into a routine of two guests on one team providing the Home Truths, the other team doing This Is My..., and a single Quickfire Lie falling to a team captain (and therefore being an obvious lie). I had a sense it was more unpredictable in earlier series who would get to do what. This is not necessarily a bad thing - maybe makes it easier to script. And of course there is additional material that might make it into the end-of-run compilation.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: greencalx on February 04, 2024, 04:51:10 PMA fairly strong run overall so far. All of the stories this week seemed at about the same level of borderline plausibility.

It does however seem to have fallen into a routine of two guests on one team providing the Home Truths, the other team doing This Is My..., and a single Quickfire Lie falling to a team captain (and therefore being an obvious lie). I had a sense it was more unpredictable in earlier series who would get to do what. This is not necessarily a bad thing - maybe makes it easier to script. And of course there is additional material that might make it into the end-of-run compilation.

I was always under the impression that at the recording stage every contestant did every round and then they selected the best bits for the show and the second best bits for the compilation and then binned off any of the dross.

It doesn't seem to matter who the guests are - it's been consistently funny for a few years now.

It was definitely in a slump a few series ago - so much so that some of us on here were suggesting it should be binned. I can't put my finger on what's made it better because on the face of it nothing has changed.

I saw a clip of a Richard Osman podcast pop up on Instagram and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that it's all genuine. I'd always assumed the producers gave the guests the cards at least a couple of hours in advance to give them time to prep, but apparently the first time they see the card is when they pick it up. Obviously they have a chat with a researcher a couple of weeks beforehand so they can pick out any funny stories.

DrGreggles

Osman is a telly man though, so he'd say that regardless.

greencalx

My guess is that the guest lies are close to a story that happened, but didn't make the cut for a truth so are embellished to make them a lie. That way, it will seem convincing because it nearly happened.

With the captains, it's clearly a case of giving them some nonsense for the entertainment value.