Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,655,439
  • Total Topics: 107,925
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 06:04:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Would I Lie To You? (Series 17)

Started by The Lurker, December 15, 2023, 02:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Quote from: TheDreamIsOver on February 02, 2024, 11:18:41 PMApparently, Sam's episode was rescheduled because someone made a joke about King Charles' health in it and the BBC thought it'd be best to move it due to Charlie boy being in hospital. Source: Cambo himself during his tour show.

Oooh. This one might not be shown then?

neveragain

g0m

Quote from: SteveDave on February 05, 2024, 11:02:09 PMOooh. This one might not be shown then?

we're going to get it years later like the russell brand buzzcocks episode

BritishHobo

Shazia's story in the latest episode is a brilliant example of
Spoiler alert
winning by letting the other team over-exaggerate the oddness of your vague details. I didn't think there was anything at all unbelievable about her father ringing up the paper not because he doesn't recognise her, but because he refused to believe she might have snuck out. That's a very funny and embarrassing dad story. Nor did it sound unbelievable that the person at the newspaper would affirm that it's her, because of course he would defend the accuracy of their reporting - and in the space she left, there's plenty of scope for him to have gone and spoken to the person who got her name, and confirm it was all correct. But she let them trip themselves up in the comedy of mocking her for a simplified version of that, which is great. Shades of Kevin Bridges, where they're all confidently taking the absolute piss out of him for being so stupid and wrong about how horse riding would work.
[close]

Rankersbo

Quote from: greencalx on February 05, 2024, 10:56:28 PMMy guess is that the guest lies are close to a story that happened, but didn't make the cut for a truth so are embellished to make them a lie. That way, it will seem convincing because it nearly happened.

I think the guest lies are tailored to the guest so they will sound plausible. We watched the Bridgit Christie/Big Zuu/Jack Carrol/Gabby Logan one.

Spoiler alert
There was a higher proportion of lies in that one- the only thruths being the "This is my" and Big Zuu having done a paid rap about pensions.

The Christie one and the Logan one sounded like stories that could have happened based on their lives, but I'm not sure "the Logans have parties and put up people like the Redknapps for the night" is a story.
[close]

greencalx

Spoiler alert
yes the detail about the cat's worms is probably something that happened, thereby lending a ring of truth to the entire tale.
[close]

I agree with the Mirza analysis
Spoiler alert
although I didn't buy that she traversed three storeys with a knitted blanket tied to a window.
[close]
It seems a little light fibbing in an otherwise true story is allowed.

Rankersbo

Spoiler alert
Were the cat's worms on the card?
[close]

Ray Travez

Quote from: greencalx on February 04, 2024, 04:51:10 PMand a single Quickfire Lie falling to a team captain (and therefore being an obvious lie).

Tired of that "round". It's essentially an extended skit- it's never quick, and you already know it's untrue as the card is being read.

"Could you mime yourself trying to milk the horse, Lee?"

DrGreggles

I've never been completely sure of the rules.

I think it's only the statement on the card the other team have to guess the validity of, so 'the game' is to embellish a lie to make it plausible or add unlikely elements to a truth to make it seem less likely.

Rankersbo

It's not The Unbelievable Truth, no, it's only the lie they have to sell, there's nothing to say everything has to be true if its a truth or everything you say has to be false if its a lie. You just have to sell the story.

With Bob it gets to be a mess, because he probably chucks lies into true stories and truths into lies, tells stories in an outlandish way, and just generally got into weird scrapes as a youth anyway.

Rankersbo

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 06, 2024, 08:49:18 AMTired of that "round". It's essentially an extended skit- it's never quick, and you already know it's untrue as the card is being read.

Yes the difference between round 3 and round one is that the person is chosen with a noise and a flashing light, not by Rob picking them.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rankersbo on February 06, 2024, 09:15:24 AMIt's not The Unbelievable Truth, no, it's only the lie they have to sell, there's nothing to say everything has to be true if its a truth or everything you say has to be false if its a lie. You just have to sell the story.

That's what I mean, it's only about what's on the card.
They could say anything with regard to the story behind it (true or false), but the point of the game is to persuade the other team to get it wrong.
The reason Bob is so good is that the majority of what he says is completely unrelated to what's on the card, so by the time they guess they can barely recall the original statement.

phantom_power

I think the essence of the story has to be true otherwise you could just add any number of obviously bollocks parts to the story to make people believe it is a lie. That isn't particularly difficult. For me the art is in adding bits of truth that make it seem like a lie or acting unsure of your story to make it seem you are making it up as you go along

Snrub

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 05, 2024, 08:39:25 AMOsman is a telly man though, so he'd say that regardless.

Nah, in the full podcast he goes on to give details of plenty of panel show bits which are scripted or when panellists are given a heads up of topics etc so not afraid to give away those secrets.

Of WILTY he said they have the research call and that is the only prep until you see the lie on the card on stage (presumably slightly more prep if you are having to bring a guest in for "this is my").

He also said that Lee Mack is genuinely so quick, that sometimes they have to edit in a beat before his replies/punchlines because otherwise it would be too insane - usually it's the other way round and they have to edit out a pause.

His podcast is quite good if you like random bits of TV trivia - the Q&A eps bigger value than them going through some of the news stories of the week

EDIT - From 9 mins here is the relevant bit

Bronzy

Quote from: greencalx on February 06, 2024, 08:08:11 AM
Spoiler alert
yes the detail about the cat's worms is probably something that happened, thereby lending a ring of truth to the entire tale.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Stewart Lee did a bit on Comedy Vehicle about his family's cat having a worm in its anus (https://www.facebook.com/bbciplayer/videos/1514469155364117/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v 1:10 onwards), so I'm pretty sure that is true.
[close]

The Lurker

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 06, 2024, 08:49:18 AMTired of that "round". It's essentially an extended skit- it's never quick, and you already know it's untrue as the card is being read.

In the early series, the quick fire rounds were just that. However, it felt rushed and never really offered up anything too funny.

Quote from: SteveDave on February 05, 2024, 11:02:09 PMOooh. This one might not be shown then?
Official account does at least say end of the month

Hopefully that's purposefully leaving enough distance for whatever Cambo said to not be cut out entirely?

Terry Torpid

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 06, 2024, 08:54:26 AMI think it's only the statement on the card the other team have to guess the validity of, so 'the game' is to embellish a lie to make it plausible or add unlikely elements to a truth to make it seem less likely.

Quote from: phantom_power on February 06, 2024, 10:26:04 AMI think the essence of the story has to be true otherwise you could just add any number of obviously bollocks parts to the story to make people believe it is a lie.

I agree it would be a bit cheeky, but I actually think that could happen. As long as the specific line on the card is true, anything else you say is just showmanship. If you have a true line, you'd probably end up naturally recalling a generally true story, because it's just easier than winging the whole thing, but I reckon if you were good enough, you could tell a completely fabricated story based on the true prompt. Set it in a different place, add fictional characters, create nonsense details. Who's going to stop you? You're not under oath.

If you have a true line on the card, but you spin them a complete yarn, they say it's bollocks, and you reveal it's true, then they lose the point. They've fallen for the story rather than evaluating the card. More fool them. Essentially they should weigh up the likelihood regardless of anything you say. Of course that makes the whole questioning section a potential wild goose chase. But what's the alternative? That you have to answer every question truthfully? Probably best not to think about it too much.

Berries

Quote from: neveragain on December 19, 2023, 05:36:45 PMApparently Su Pollard is reliably wacky in the Christmas edition.
Due to the most tenuous of connections that I have with Sue Pollard I googled her after seeing that episode. Found this gem.

The Lurker

Rob's impression of David was incredible. Nyerrrr

Utter Shit

I can't remember a better series than this one. It's been relentlessly funny. And this Sam Campbell episode has been the best of the lot.

Disappointed that the King Charles arse cancer jokes got cut.

Tiggles

David was utterly flummoxed and bewitched by Sam. Beautiful, beautiful stuff.

BritishHobo

It's such a joy seeing how much every single comedian enjoys Sam, no matter what he appears on. Just proper enthusiasm for what he's doing.

The Lurker

cakeinmilk

Sam referenced his appearance when I saw him in a WIP, mentioning that no-one really spoke with him backstage. Could've been joking I guess.

Captain Z

No, I got the impression that nobody except perhaps Rob was tuned to his persona and they found him a bit weird. I'm also sure he wouldn't have minded that at all.

neveragain

Quote from: Captain Z on February 24, 2024, 09:00:44 PMNo, I got the impression that nobody except perhaps Rob was tuned to his persona and they found him a bit weird. I'm also sure he wouldn't have minded that at all.

Yeah, I also thought that. Lee probably got him.

By the way, does anyone know the joke that got cut?

Tags: