Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 02, 2024, 08:07:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

British Sitcom History Podcast

Started by Virgo76, December 31, 2023, 06:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Has anyone ever listened to this? What do people think of it?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I haven't, but I'll check it out. Be a change of pace from the morbid stuff I usually listen to.

lauraxsynthesis

Didn't know about it but have had a look and will deffo check out some of those eps, thanks for the heads up!

I've listened to a few episodes now, just picking out episodes on sitcoms I remember and half-remember from their back catalogue. It seems pretty decent, they talk about the overall show, the type of comedy, who's in it, who wrote it, what else the cast and crew made, the backstory of how the show got made (if there is one), did you like it when it came out first and do you like it on the rewatch, does it hold up, does the comedy work etc. I was worried it was just going to be two guys giving their opinion but there's a ton of factual stuff too.

jonnyunitus

Thanks for introducing me to this. Enjoying working my way through them. The Game On episode was particularly enjoyable as the show holds so much nostalgia for me, given I was about 13/14 when it came out. Also reignited my man crush for Ben Chaplin, what an absolute dreamboat!

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quite enjoyed the Xmas Special Rising Damp episode, but then listened to the After Henry episode and their opinions can, quite frankly, do one.

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on January 02, 2024, 06:27:46 PMQuite enjoyed the Xmas Special Rising Damp episode, but then listened to the After Henry episode and their opinions can, quite frankly, do one.
I don't mind that they're clearly completely fucking wrong about e.g. Bottom, it's fucking hilarious fuck you, because they include a ton of facts and info about the cast and crew, background to the show getting made, what everybody else did etc. If it was just two guys going "oh honestly this was a bit shit wasn't it" "yeah it was", you know, I could come here for that.

Virgo76

Some of the opinions riled me at first.
Were many of the minor performances in Reggie Perrin crap? I'm not sure.
Was also a bit horrified when one of them admitted to never having seen any Carry On films and didn't even know Charles Hawtrey was in them.
But have listened to a few episodes now and they are definitely winning me over.

Tony Tony Tony

Thanks for the recommendation Virgo I am picking out some of my fave shows and v much enjoying the chats.

The pair seem extremely knowledgeable about British sitcoms and unearth some real nuggets for nerds. If I have a small niggle it is that one of the guys (can't recall which at present) occasionally expresses controversial views which don't seem to chime with the rest of his commentary. An example being his 'dislike' of Brian Blessed's schtick in the Blackadder chat.

I consider myself a self confessed Hi De Hi nerd and they uncovered some fascinating stuff I wasn't aware of particularly regarding how interconnected the actors were.

Speaking of Hi De Hi aficionados paging Glebe.

Virgo76

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on January 03, 2024, 09:47:49 AMThanks for the recommendation Virgo I am picking out some of my fave shows and v much enjoying the chats.

The pair seem extremely knowledgeable about British sitcoms and unearth some real nuggets for nerds. If I have a small niggle it is that one of the guys (can't recall which at present) occasionally expresses controversial views which don't seem to chime with the rest of his commentary. An example being his 'dislike' of Brian Blessed's schtick in the Blackadder chat.

Interesting. Any other examples of this?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on January 03, 2024, 09:47:49 AMAn example being his 'dislike' of Brian Blessed's schtick in the Blackadder chat.

Brian Blessed's shouting seems to be viewed as untouchable acting genius, so frankly I'm pleased to hear someone question that. I'm very bad at listening to podcasts (a friend has been doing one for about 6 years and um...) but I do intend to try some of this, especially the Game On episode.

MojoJojo

On a related note, I noticed yesterday that Box of Delights had an episode nine months ago, and two weeks ago posted an episode titled We're back! "

Virgo76

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 03, 2024, 11:09:23 AMOn a related note, I noticed yesterday that Box of Delights had an episode nine months ago, and two weeks ago posted an episode titled We're back! "
Wow! Very pleased to hear that. Love that one. Thanks.
Three posts since they stopped going regular in 2020.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Virgo76 on January 03, 2024, 10:45:01 AMInteresting. Any other examples of this?

Same sort of thing with Miriam Margolyes from the Blackadder chat. Admittedly not a huge sample size so if I come across any more I may well post, though on reflection maybe it's just a conversational device to add some controversy.

Virgo76

New Statesman episodes are good.
They hate the Sex Pistols though, claiming they are rubbish (they are not).

stranger

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 02, 2024, 11:24:25 PMI don't mind that they're clearly completely fucking wrong about e.g. Bottom, it's fucking hilarious fuck you, because they include a ton of facts and info about the cast and crew, background to the show getting made, what everybody else did etc.

Yeah agree with this. Listened to the Bottom Halloween one yesterday and, while I completely disagreed with a lot of their opinions about the episode and Bottom/Rik Mayall in general, it was interesting and I'll definitely check out some more episodes.

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: jonnyunitus on January 01, 2024, 03:59:08 PMThanks for introducing me to this. Enjoying working my way through them. The Game On episode was particularly enjoyable as the show holds so much nostalgia for me, given I was about 13/14 when it came out. Also reignited my man crush for Ben Chaplin, what an absolute dreamboat!

More Game On delights here https://www.anorakzone.com/gameonrank.html

Oh, Nobody

Probably picked a bad episode to start with- referring to Alexei Sayle as trying to copy Rik Mayall's schtick (?) and calling him "very anti-Corbyn" then backing it up with a quote from him that they drastically misinterpreted.

Also called Picasso shit but that may be more subjective.

EOLAN

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on January 11, 2024, 11:36:27 PMProbably picked a bad episode to start with- referring to Alexei Sayle as trying to copy Rik Mayall's schtick (?) and calling him "very anti-Corbyn" then backing it up with a quote from him that they drastically misinterpreted.

Also called Picasso shit but that may be more subjective.

They just touched on Alexi Sayle on the 'One Foot in the Grave' podcast as I was reading this. Alas, wasn't this episode. Surprised they didn't note about the 'Who Wants to Be A Millionaire' ratings war and leaks for the final episode.

Virgo76

Fawlty Towers episodes interesting.
Oddly, they weren't that keen on it.
One of them didn't find Cleese funny when Basil was fully enraged, the other argued certain bits such as Basil fainted or the final rat appearance in the last episode didn't work at (I would disagree on all of these points).
Some good stuff throughout nonetheless although nothing at all on the ongoing "Is Polly American or British?" controversy.

EOLAN

Quote from: Virgo76 on January 15, 2024, 09:34:33 AMFawlty Towers episodes interesting.
Oddly, they weren't that keen on it.
One of them didn't find Cleese funny when Basil was fully enraged, the other argued certain bits such as Basil fainted or the final rat appearance in the last episode didn't work at (I would disagree on all of these points).
Some good stuff throughout nonetheless although nothing at all on the ongoing "Is Polly American or British?" controversy.

For some reason I just always assumed Polly was Canadian since a child. Just a kind of Commonwealth-American would be a cross between the two.

One of them is very eager to note their dislike of any physical based humour. A little bit beyond personal preference and inferring it is a lesser type of comedy/easy gag. Though when stating this and recounting moments of farce/physical humour seemed to be laughing at the recollection of such moments.

neveragain

This sounds awful. I don't want to listen to some noobs slagging off loads of cherished comedy. Even if they do have access to Wikipedia.

MojoJojo

That's an unfortunate message to take from this thread.  People are mentioning the bits where they say they don't like something as they stick out. They clearly have a great love of the shows and are very knowledgeable. I get the impression that if they spend a lot of time repeating their favourite bits of the shows but edit most of it out as they know how tedious that would be.

That said, after listening to 10 hours of it, I'm starting to find it a bit samey - but I think that's a consequence of narrowness of the subject matter more than anything else.

EOLAN

Yes, the negative bits are the ones that come immediate to mind to debate, especially when the tendency Is to leap to an all-time favorite like 'Fawlty Towers'.

However, they do a fair bit of research which seems a bit beyond just parroting Wikipedia. They are engaging and enthusiastic and look to blend their facts in a manner that isn't dry.

It is a good listen and probably wouldn't be as nitpicking for episodes where I am not as completely attached like Fawlty Towers.

Utter Shit

Decent show, the hosts know their stuff and are likeable enough. The only issue I have with it is that they're very late to the party - the guys from Waffle On have been doing similarly well-researched deep dives on classic UK sitcoms (and increasingly other genres too) for fifteen years or so, and there's only so much new ground you can cover.

EOLAN

The Waffle On guys also have (for me) the advantage of very thick and distinct West Midlands accents.

Utter Shit

Quote from: EOLAN on January 15, 2024, 11:17:10 AMThe Waffle On guys also have (for me) the advantage of very thick and distinct West Midlands accents.
It took me a while to stop finding the 'other' one for want of a better word (the one that does't present it) annoying, but once you get past that it's a great show. I have a vague memory of it being connected to CAB in some way, might be talking out of my hole though.

Lapsedcat

Quote from: EOLAN on January 15, 2024, 11:17:10 AMThe Waffle On guys also have (for me) the advantage of very thick and distinct West Midlands accents.

Mark Kelly too loud to be allowed his own microphone

Virgo76

Still enjoying this.
One serious misfire with a bizarre attempt to cover When The Whistle Blows (Andy Milman's fictional sitcom in Extras) as if it was a real show. Doesn't really work.

Quote from: Virgo76 on February 11, 2024, 09:42:26 PMStill enjoying this.
One serious misfire with a bizarre attempt to cover When The Whistle Blows (Andy Milman's fictional sitcom in Extras) as if it was a real show. Doesn't really work.
That's an April Fools' Day episode, isn't it?