Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:30:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Shows or Characters that changed things

Started by confettiinmyhair, January 07, 2024, 09:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilkes

Jasper Carrott's good natured ribbing of Skoda turned their fortunes around.

Some may say it was the fall of communism, but, I mean, come on...

Twilkes

In fact there are probably a lot of businesses and products that were propelled/fucked by comedy, spam for one.

I still imagine that Norman Lamont has a yogurt pot on his head.

RHX

Bo Selecta destroyed Craig David's career for at least a decade.

I have no idea if this is good or bad, all I can say is that it happened.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 08, 2024, 09:22:34 AMIn terms of holding things back, The Monorail Society have blamed The Simpsons for holding it back, and Greoning has responded with a sort of non-apology-apology
I bet Adam Something has a video about why monorails are shite

Petey Pate

There was a US politician called Rick James whose career was ruined by people shouting lines from the Dave Chappelle sketch about his namesake.

JesusAndYourBush

Various comedians joking about the BBC showing the Wizard Of Oz every Christmas made the BBC take their bat home and never show it again*.  I'd not seen it for 30+ years until Channel 5 showed it this Christmas. A nice clean print too not the same knackered old film print the BBC had been showing since the 40's.  (And yes I realise that if I'd been arsed I could have sought it out elsewhere.)

*Genome's search isn't working well for me right now but at a guess I think they showed it up until Xmas 1990 and it's maybe had about 2 or 3 showings since, one of those possibly hidden away on one of their lesser channels.

Steve Faeces

Without the Thick of It I don't think you would have those online people who have made rage at the Tories and compound swearing their whole personality or at least not as many of them and with the specific style they use. I'm thinking of Supertanskii, but there's plenty of them on various platforms now.

Also think but can't really demonstrate that the rehabilitation of Alastair Campbell, a monstrous figure for any reasonable person, who should have been driven from public life, into a podcaster and mental health advocate might link to Malcolm Tucker, who is also a monster, but some people seem to regard as an aspirational figure or a positive figure in the politics of the show.

timahall

Quote from: RHX on January 08, 2024, 12:50:30 PMBo Selecta destroyed Craig David's career for at least a decade.

Fantasy Football League and Jason Lee. They destroyed his playing career, poor guy.

FeederFan500

Quote from: Steve Faeces on January 08, 2024, 06:01:35 PMAlso think but can't really demonstrate that the rehabilitation of Alastair Campbell, a monstrous figure for any reasonable person, who should have been driven from public life, into a podcaster and mental health advocate might link to Malcolm Tucker, who is also a monster, but some people seem to regard as an aspirational figure or a positive figure in the politics of the show.

I don't think that last bit is widespread opinion is it? I don't think there was much positive beyond him having comedic value and a 'classic' character. I think Campbell is just a beneficiary of being on the right wing of labour and willing to appear in the media a lot, meaning he is seen as a moderate (and palatable) voice and speaks 'above' politics despite being close to exisiting senior Labour figures. A Labour version of Ken clarke or someone. Unsurprisingly, he knows how the media works too which helps.

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 08, 2024, 10:24:50 AMNot only that, The Simpsons completely changed (American) family sitcoms, which up till that point featured wise parents and occasionally disobedient but ultimately good kids, getting into wholesome scrapes and learning and growing together. After its debut, you see a lot more stupid dad/bratty kids sitcoms. Malcolm in the Middle is The Simpsons' spiritual successor.

All those Channel 4 morning sitcoms are the same, suburban family with a selfish dad and nagging wife.

Mr Vegetables

Ali G was really popular at my school growing up; people just seemed to be into him in a completely unironic way. I was pretty unsettled when I found out he wasn't real

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: FeederFan500 on January 08, 2024, 06:48:44 PMAll those Channel 4 morning sitcoms are the same, suburban family with a selfish dad and nagging wife.

I guess Married With Children was a bit of an outlier there as well as Peg's kind of Lazy, Al's not wise, and quite misanthropic but stands by his family I guess. It started airing just before The Simpsons but probably less iconic, especially in the UK and presumably Ireland as well.

Glebe

Quote from: bobloblaw on January 08, 2024, 09:21:31 AMafter the day today, all news producers realised how silly their graphics and presentation had become and scaled it back to basics, all newspaper cartoonists adopted a more sophisticated outlook, and sexist questions from sports reporters were consigned to history.

It's the obvious pick here but yeah, Morris and On the Hour/The Day Today really made UK news quite self-conscious. I'm sure a lot of folks in the industry were highly amused by it too... I think Michael Buerk joked that he burned his trench coat after watching it (in reference to the 'Chopper of Doom' report).

In the years after TDT there were definitely some very deliberate Morrisean nods in real news items and the like. Don't remember what it was about, but there was one programme with Kate Aidy or somebody where they had a cartoonist doodling away and casting his 'wry eye' over events!

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: timahall on January 08, 2024, 06:13:12 PMFantasy Football League and Jason Lee. They destroyed his playing career, poor guy.

Not really. There's no doubt that the FFL stuff was rancid, but he was never good enough to be playing at that level with or without it and he carried on playing for about 15 years after it.

Menu

The Nottingham Forest manager Frank Clark criticised them and called them 'middle class wide boys'. Which certainly amused Skinner who had never seen himself as anything other than working class. Baddiel has also never been middle class.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Glebe on January 08, 2024, 07:45:44 PMDon't remember what it was about, but there was one programme with Kate Aidy or somebody where they had a cartoonist doodling away and casting his 'wry eye' over events!

this is a real thing on Arte in Europe

they have a cartoonist every night drawing in real time, and at the end of the "on a lighter note" stuff at the end of the discussion and current affairs, they'll show their cartoons for polite chuckles. i think it might have been a feature of euro news since the 60s

kalowski

Rik Mayall changed how me and my mates spoke and it still resonates now. I have a friend especially who still says "For Cliff's sake"

Glebe

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 08, 2024, 08:16:01 PMthis is a real thing on Arte in Europe

they have a cartoonist every night drawing in real time, and at the end of the "on a lighter note" stuff at the end of the discussion and current affairs, they'll show their cartoons for polite chuckles. i think it might have been a feature of euro news since the 60s

Making us smile about the bad things in the world!

Video Game Fan 2000

Noels House Party had an enduring conservative influence on all uk media because it accelerated the race to the bottom. instead of light entertainment and variety, primetime was when the biggest amount of money was thrown at the lowest possible common denominator

before: educate, inform and entertain
after: you love this dont you, you pleb cunts

not saying it wouldnt have happened anyway but it took up the space and attention where multiple other less shite things could have been. its part of what made non-reality tv light entertainment an irrelevance by the end of the 90s. the televisual equivalent of Sun headline that starts with the two words "now" and "its" - the bbc might have well broadcast an hour of someone waggling a bit of tinsel with a loop of fart noises in the background with subliminal tits, bums and willies.

Sebastian Cobb

I agree with your point, mostly but I think light entertainment lived on a fair bit longer than you think there; Ant and Dec were up until fairly recently doing the classic ITV variety format that persisted from the 70's onwards and essentially took over the mantle from your Barrymore's and the like, they'd probably still be at it if one of them didn't crash their car drunk

I bet you wouldn't have had The Big Breakfast without Noel though, as it was kind of a real-world NHP with 90's lad culture.

Snrub

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 08, 2024, 09:24:31 PMI agree with your point, mostly but I think light entertainment lived on a fair bit longer than you think there; Ant and Dec were up until fairly recently doing the classic ITV variety format that persisted from the 70's onwards and essentially took over the mantle from your Barrymore's and the like, they'd probably still be at it if one of them didn't crash their car drunk

Ant and Dec are still doing Saturday Night Takeaway and only had one year off it in the drunk car crash era - there is a new series next month though think it is the last one before they rest it for a bit. ITV would have it every year, it still rates well.

Michael McIntyre's Big Show is probably as close as the beeb have got in recent years and is still going too

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 08, 2024, 07:57:58 PMNot really. There's no doubt that the FFL stuff was rancid, but he was never good enough to be playing at that level with or without it and he carried on playing for about 15 years after it.

It was probably annoying having people chanting that song every week though?

letsgobrian

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 08, 2024, 10:24:50 AMNot only that, The Simpsons completely changed (American) family sitcoms, which up till that point featured wise parents and occasionally disobedient but ultimately good kids, getting into wholesome scrapes and learning and growing together. After its debut, you see a lot more stupid dad/bratty kids sitcoms. Malcolm in the Middle is The Simpsons' spiritual successor.

Norman Lear's only been dead a month and already forgotten.

The Mollusk

Athletico Mince singlehandedly changed created my perception of every single football personality mentioned in it.

Thosworth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 08, 2024, 04:46:18 PMVarious comedians joking about the BBC showing the Wizard Of Oz every Christmas made the BBC take their bat home and never show it again

That's weird. I don't doubt you, but I honestly can't remember it ever being shown at Christmas, and the 'always on at Christmas' joke I heard most often was The Sound Of Music.

(Maybe it's just the era, I'm talking late 70s/early 80s)

EDIT: Based on the below, I stand corrected, and also incredibly surprised

letsgobrian

Quote from: Thosworth on January 09, 2024, 08:42:19 AMThat's weird. I don't doubt you, but I honestly can't remember it ever being shown at Christmas, and the 'always on at Christmas' joke I heard most often was The Sound Of Music.

(Maybe it's just the era, I'm talking late 70s/early 80s)

That's the very era that it was at its worst.

Xmas showings for Wizard of Oz according to BBC Genome

1975-1978, 1980-1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2003

That's not including some Xmas airings of The Wiz, Return to Oz or what I assume is the Cinar dub of the Wizard of Oz anime.

Sound of Music started airing at Xmas 1978, but that still aired this past Xmas. Joke proof!

Andy147

Sound of Music seems to have been shown more on random afternoons than at Xmas, despite its reputation - after 1978 it wasn't on again at Xmas until 1987, and then 1995.

Gurke and Hare

Sound of Music was on at least twice this Christmas.

Scrapey Fish

Blackadder's depiction of WW1 generals as cowardly and relentlessly dedicated to the same failed tactics has become embedded in the public consciousness but is arguably not historically accurate. Discuss

Minami Minegishi

Photo of the invention of British hair metal (1984, colorized)