Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 02, 2024, 08:27:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Python Wars

Started by Keebleman, February 11, 2024, 12:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilkes

Are we ABSOLUTELY SURE that Idle hasn't been replaced by an aged Nicolas Cage:

Toki

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 12, 2024, 01:55:12 PMI liked him as "Rincewind" in the computer games.

Oh yeah, I love those. Especially Missing Presumed. Last great thing he did.

Video Game Fan 2000

part of why cunt comedians hold such a morbid fascination is that its so hard to understand why someone who is funny would be prefer to be fantastically rich instead

its like if a genie was going to give you superman's powers and you wanted aquaman's instead. imagine being funny and thinking "no this is shit, i'd prefer people resent me instead"

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Another interesting titbit from his autobiography, he's one of those English people who've lived in LA far too long and use the word "asshole" in a completely unironic context, instead of "arsehole". Lemmy did the same in his book, and I found it extremely disappointing to read.

Icehaven

Imagine someone saying "I could have retired from my job as a teacher/doctor/circus ringmaster on a very decent pension but I have to keep working because I want to live way beyond what that affords." It sounds absurd and would elicit zero sympathy so why would a millionaire think it should?

markburgle

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 12, 2024, 02:44:44 PMDad, are you going to complain about money?

Yeah. On the internet. I've had enough.

And you sold your house last year for how much?

$6.5 million. Not my house, one of my houses.

Please don't complain about money.

Why?

*sigh*

Except in our world it went like this:

IDLE: I'm so broke I had to sell one of my houses for $6.5 million

IDLE KID: Dad is finally standing up to the narcissists #prouddaughter

phantom_power

He is the kind of arsehole that is so much of an arsehole he doesn't even realise that what he is saying makes him sound like a complete arsehole.

He has been having a go at Palin as well, making vague allusions to him not being as nice as his reputation suggests, and he reviewed his autobiographies and claimed he was boring and only showing the bits that made him look good. He never backs any of it up with specific things

A bit like the Gilliam thing, it seems he will agree with anything that makes the other, possibly more talented, Pythons look bad.

As someone said above, having a go at Trump is a low bar to get over in terms of "ethics" and I would say his awful treatment of Innes and general shitty behaviour to almost everyone he has worked with is more of an indicator. He just seems very jealous of the other Pythons who leveraged their fame to do other things and therefore had other revenue streams rather than just trying to milk the Python cash cow for all it was worth

Jake Thingray

Excepting Palin of course, the surviving Pythons are now whingeing as much about being undervalued, and being tiresomely reactionary, as Milligan did in his old age, though the Tory press always protected him.

Jake Thingray

Meant to say, and it may be stating the obvious, but prior to rehashing Python for his own benefit, all Idle's solo projects failed -- his radio musical Behind the Crease was only ever broadcast in fuzzy mono rather than the stereo in which it was recorded, its announced TV version for LWT never happened, Nuns On The Run, which he whinged about never getting the promised shekels for, was his only hit film, as Splitting Heirs was understandably savaged critically and Missing Pieces was premiered as an in-flight movie -- so perhaps his presently exhibited ratty temper at being unable to compete financially with his former SNL cast and rock star chums actually dates back decades.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

"Right, we'd better allocate about 5 minutes runtime here for Eric, just to keep him happy. Let him go off and write a song about Camelot or Jesus or something and we'll try and slot it in somewhere"

Ignatius_S

Quote from: phantom_power on February 12, 2024, 08:30:32 PM...He has been having a go at Palin as well, making vague allusions to him not being as nice as his reputation suggests, and he reviewed his autobiographies and claimed he was boring and only showing the bits that made him look good. He never backs any of it up with specific things

Might have been explaining the concept of autobiographies to people unfamiliar with it.

derek stitt

Apologies for slight tangent but, am sure I have seen the coconuts as horseshoe gag used in something far earlier than The Holy Grail. Think it might have been a three stooges short, could be wrong though, definitely 1930s/ 1940s slapstick/screwball stuff though. any help?

neveragain

Quote from: derek stitt on February 12, 2024, 10:29:57 PMApologies for slight tangent but, am sure I have seen the coconuts as horseshoe gag used in something far earlier than The Holy Grail. Think it might have been a three stooges short, could be wrong though, definitely 1930s/ 1940s slapstick/screwball stuff though. any help?

They've been used to go clippity-clop for hundreds of years, if that helps. The context in which they're used in Holy Grail is fairly unique though, with everything surrounding the silly action looking so authentic.

Quote from: phantom_power on February 12, 2024, 08:30:32 PMHe has been having a go at Palin as well, making vague allusions to him not being as nice as his reputation suggests, and he reviewed his autobiographies and claimed he was boring and only showing the bits that made him look good...

Where was this?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: derek stitt on February 12, 2024, 10:29:57 PMApologies for slight tangent but, am sure I have seen the coconuts as horseshoe gag used in something far earlier than The Holy Grail. Think it might have been a three stooges short, could be wrong though, definitely 1930s/ 1940s slapstick/screwball stuff though. any help?

There's a silent Stan Laurel film, When Knights Were Cold (which spoofed When Knighthood Was in Flower) - as far as I remember, we don't have the complete film bit Ive seen a surviving reel at a festival and footage can be seen here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2kC7b5oA9OU

The way that the Holy Grail does the Knights riding horses is quite evocative of the way this film did it.

Captain Z

I say he might as well face the truth that he is just too long in the tooth

Senior Baiano

Maybe he should go and hack off some limbs for Newcastle*, or rape for Luton Town

*aged like a fine wine that one, tbf to the lad

Pete23

Back to the coconuts...

There's a similar coconut gag in a Goon Show episode, where it's revealed that a carriage is drawn by coconuts and not horses. The Pythons were such big Goon fans that I think a lot of Goon stuff was in their comedy DNA and wasn't intentionally nicked - there was also a very similar Goon gag as the "Camelot - let's not go there" joke, but it was about the Navy:

phantom_power

Quote from: neveragain on February 12, 2024, 10:50:34 PMWhere was this?

I saw a thread of his tweets on Twitter the other day and any mention of Palin got a response saying something along those lines

derek stitt

The silly way the PFJ hide from the Romans in LoB was another unintentional borrow from a a Laurel and Hardy two reeler.... Have heard unconfirmed rumours  that Mr Creosote from MoL was a direct steal from a Joyce Grenfell after dinner party turn but, somehow I doubt the truth of that story.

TheMonk

Close just posted this on Twitter and I hit copy before he deleted it thirty seconds later.
Where's Fawlty Towers in the Bahamas?

Several of my Twits have been showing concern about my financial position

I'm glad to be able to tell them that, in my 85th year,
I have pending :

The FT stage show

The Life of Brian stage show

The Wanda musical

An original Hollywood comedy called 'Lookalikes'

An adaptation of Feydeau's farce 'Bang Bang'

A Canadian film called 'Cut the Painter'

A one-hour sketch show for TV

And three stage tours in the US during 2024

DrGreggles

He had several expensive divorces though.
I doubt he burnt through his millions on an extravagant lifestyle.

dead-ced-dead

Why can't these people just stay off Twitter? Is it really so hard for them? What's the compulsion?

checkoutgirl

Why put something up just to delete it 30 seconds later? Is it an impulse control thing or some sort of Twitter trick?

thr0b

Quote from: checkoutgirl on February 13, 2024, 02:24:34 PMWhy put something up just to delete it 30 seconds later? Is it an impulse control thing or some sort of Twitter trick?

Presumably at least part of it was him announcing something prematurely or without consent of other parties.

At least it looks like Wilty Towels has fallen by the wayside.

Producers of Cut the Painter in shambles.

DrJ

Quote from: TheMonk on February 13, 2024, 01:58:15 PMCleese just posted this on Twitter and I hit copy before he deleted it thirty seconds later.
Where's Fawlty Towers in the Bahamas?

Several of my Twits have been showing concern about my financial position

I'm glad to be able to tell them that, in my 85th year,
I have pending :

The FT stage show

The Life of Brian stage show

The Wanda musical

An original Hollywood comedy called 'Lookalikes'

An adaptation of Feydeau's farce 'Bang Bang'

A Canadian film called 'Cut the Painter'

A one-hour sketch show for TV

And three stage tours in the US during 2024

Isn't that Eric's point though?  That he's 85 and has to keep working?  Also, he forgot to mention his GeeBeeNews show, which is getting 100 million billion viewers. 

Panurge

Eric Idle is an intelligent, compassionate and sensible human being whose brain is not at all addled by his riches and right wing pablum

George White

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 11, 2024, 07:51:41 PMI love Gilliam's films and his animations and demented performances in Python but there are too many reports of him acting the cunt on film sets, particularly to women. Now, is it worth it to have a film like Brazil? Who can say. Not me. I'm just a humble poster online.
It's funny, Time Bandits is my favourite film, but oddly none of his other films have ever held quite the same appeal (not even Jabberwocky, despite what I'm saying below).
And it took me a while why it clicks with me. It's as much Palin as it is Gilliam. The two working together = magic.