Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 02, 2024, 07:09:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 19, 2024, 01:45:55 PMI was just randomly looking up acts I'd like to see on twitter to see if they were gigging in London any time soon, and found that Crizards have uploaded their recent show Cowboys to youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crpf6IRUYL8

I watched this today and quite liked it, it made me laugh a fair amount and I liked the songs. If I've any complaint it's that it doesn't really come to together at the end, but it's certainly worth watching and I'll try and catch whatever they do next. 3.75/5? Yeah, that sounds about right.

edwardfog

Jacqueline Novak's Get On Your Knees is apparently on Netflix?? It's up there with the greatest and most unique shows of the last decade, very highly recommended if you've never seen it before

edwardfog

"The Muhammad Ali of comedy" according to John Mulaney

CaledonianGonzo

Crabwalk and I caught it in Edinburgh when it was there - it was great, albeit scored a very undeserving number of walkouts on the night we were in.

MrMealDeal

Quote from: edwardfog on January 24, 2024, 09:00:05 AMJacqueline Novak's Get On Your Knees is apparently on Netflix?? It's up there with the greatest and most unique shows of the last decade, very highly recommended if you've never seen it before

It's incredible!

Small Man Big Horse

Johnny White Really-Really: Catland at The Pleasance - I'd not heard of White Really-Really before Mr Fog highly recommended him to me, and he's definitely a very interesting performer. Starting with what almost seems a parable the story seems oddly unbelievable but ends with a very daft gag, and Really-Really's very good at this, as he expresses thoughts or tells stories and you're not quite sure where they're heading and when they do it's an often enjoyably silly place. Many of them have a good few funny lines within them before we get to the end as well, and while most are unconnected the the show contains occasional short snippets of a narrative about a New Year's Eve party throughout the hour. Yet though I found myself often laughing hard, I have to admit to being frustrated by the ending which deliberately ended on a poetic note rather than a funny one, and didn't wrap up some of the ideas he'd been playing with during the hour. 4/5

Small Man Big Horse

Just noticed that Joseph Morpurgo is at ABC Comedy in March: https://wix.tickettailor.com/checkout/view-event/id/210411/chk/7e83/ref/website_widget/compId/comp-jhs65z4e - I'm guessing it'll be very similar to the 20 minutes I saw him do last year with him testing out further material for his "finishing famously unfinished films / books etc" show, but if you've not seen him before I'd highly recommend it as he's pretty much my favourite stand up out there.

Edit: And has anyone seen Joe Wilkinson do stand up recently? I've never caught him live but he's at Always Be Comedy on Thursday and I'm vaguely tempted...

edwardfog

I don't think Joe Wilkinson has done any stand up recently and that's probably a good reason to catch him

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on February 03, 2024, 04:47:35 PMI don't think Joe Wilkinson has done any stand up recently and that's probably a good reason to catch him

That sounds good to me, a friend who really liked him on Taskmaster was up for it too so I've bought tickets to see him, and am intrigued as to what he'll be like.

Quote from: edwardfog on February 03, 2024, 04:47:35 PMI don't think Joe Wilkinson has done any stand up recently and that's probably a good reason to catch him

JW appears on screen in a prerecorded bit of Sam Campbell's tour. I'd have to say SC was tremendous. 10/10 - Entirely unpredictable despite more recent popular attention, and ten times the number of keystone scripted belly laughs versus any other, and plenty of giggles at the twitchy delivery.

Small Man Big Horse

Joe Wilkinson - Work In Progress at Always Be Comedy, The Tommyfields - Okay, I know I'm prone to hyperbole when I really hate a show, which is why after writing this last night I decided against posting it to see how I'd feel in the light of a new day.

But while I've added more detail to it, nothing's changed about how I feel about the show, and I think this might be the worst stand up comedy set I've ever seen. I know I've said that a couple of times over the last few years as well (Rosie Holt and Matt Forde being the other two who immediately spring to mind), and this was a Work In Progress and so I expected to hear routines that didn't work or might not have had a pay off, but despite that it was still painfully terrible.

I do feel the urge to comment that about half the room were enjoying it a lot, but bar a couple of low key jokes at the beginning I didn't laugh once and when he over ran and did about 75 minutes in total I found myself actively hating it. And I'm now going to put the rest in spoiler tags because a) it does contain spoilers, and b) Eh, maybe it's just me, and I have been terribly wrong about things in the past.

Spoiler alert
So, I was with a friend who I see a huge amount of comedy with and though we'd never seen Joe live before we had really liked him on Taskmaster all those years ago, and she said she'd seen him on panel shoes and thought he was very funny, so we were optimistic about it all when we got the tickets. Last night she did mention before the gig that her partner had seen Joe do about 15 minutes on a mixed bill before Christmas and he'd bombed badly, and was very apologetic to the audience, but we were still hopeful it'd be a great gig.

Yet both of us were struggling with it from a very early point, and I'd say it's extremely rare that we both dislike something to this extent. I think the problem with it is that a lot of it clearly made up whimsy, but the performance was so uninspired it just felt annoying rather than absurd, with him sometimes reading off a print out and stumbling over some words not helping. I do kind of expect that at a WIP, so it wasn't too much of an issue, but what were really frustrated me was that a lot of it felt like he was happy with how it went, but I found the punch lines were painfully bad (one long routine about "why if they throw rice at a wedding don't they throw naan bread?, and him then claiming to have done that" essentially ended with "And I was the vicar!").

He also did a long routine about his Haemorrhoids which he kept on doing call backs to throughout the set, but all of it was really weak. Indeed there were so many routines about his arse and unusual descriptions about how big his piles were that it felt tedious, and the surreal situations he placed himself in were quickly tiresome.

Fairly early on he did a part about how you only get good reviews if you make the audience cry, that's what gets The Guardian really excited about you, which was an observation I first heard at least six or seven years ago and have heard a few too many times since. Apart from that and call backs to his Haemorrhoids there wasn't much of a shape to the show, there was a section on jobs he'd supposedly done (where he claimed he misunderstood what a cock blocker at a gay nudist holiday camp was going to be) but the rest of it were very random stories.

Just to give you an idea of what they were like, there was some nonsense about his Gran being a go-er and her being buried in a y shaped coffin, but not because she had so much sex, it was something to do with arthritis, and then another segment about his attempts at giving up smoking by putting a cigarette up a dog's arse and then putting the cigarette randomly back in the pack. Plus there was also long bit about how Eamon Holmes gets out of the bath by acting like an eel, which led to an anecdote about his wife Ruth making weird comments and then supposedly fucking each other when in public (with a "And that was on stage at the Pride Of Britain Awards" punchline that made me loudly groan), he read a bit from Sue Lawley's autobiography and then later a fake bit from Leona Lewis's, and he ended with a story about Andre Agassi and his angry brothers forcing him to buy umpire chairs.

The gig started at 6.30pm with James Gill doing about 5 minutes of warm up, but didn't end until 7.50pm, so it was about 75 minutes in total, and that last 15 minutes felt like torture as he kept on saying "Ah, I should go really, but nah, I'll do another bit", and throughout the show he would offer comments up like "Why can't I be like Michael McIntyre", "This bit never works..." or "I probably shouldn't do this, but..." before launching in to another horrendously bad routine.

Throughout I wanted to find him funny, I truly did, but the whole thing felt dated (jokes about Jim'll Fix It and being anally probed during an alien abduction especially), the punchlines were awful, and so much of the material was centred around his bum it felt quite mad, and if I wasn't seated where I was and it would have made a lot of people stand up and move to the side so that I could leave, I would have walked out by about the hour point.
[close]

So yeah, wanted to laugh, did so briefly at the beginning, then found it painfully unfunny for 70 minutes. But it can't be denied that some of the audience loved it and, um, I don't know what to say, but I will never see him again if I have any choice in the matter. 0/5

Edit: Just ran it through a word counter and see it's over a 1,000 words. Christ, I did not expect to write so much then, but it just poured out of me. So yeah, I expect lots of tl;dr replies now!

Tony Yeboah

Your description in the spoilers makes it sound really funny. Honestly.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on February 09, 2024, 02:24:10 PMYour description in the spoilers makes it sound really funny. Honestly.

It's weird because I do like obviously made up idiocy, but there was something about the way it was written (and performed) that really rubbed me up the wrong way. I've always felt that if you're doing a surreal or absurd bit of comedy you absolutely have to sell it, that if any one in the audience isn't laughing than they're the mad one, but as he kept undercutting everything by saying things like "this one won't work" or "the audience hated this the other day" it took me out of the reality of the world he was trying to build. I get that it was a work in progress as well of course, but he seemed really happy with how it was going (hence over running for so long) yet so many of the punchlines were lazy and dated that I found myself wincing over and over again. And even if I'm wrong about 99%, I still feel that a Jimmy Saville joke in this day and age is a fucking shit thing to do unless you've got a really unique spin on it, and he definitely didn't.

CaledonianGonzo

Chortle's new comedy diary column is a splendid addition. Congrats dude.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 09, 2024, 05:13:52 PMChortle's new comedy diary column is a splendid addition. Congrats dude.

That's not me but it is another Cabber, and I'd agree, it was a great read.

CaledonianGonzo

Aye, sorry, yes - well aware. Should probably have specified the poster in question.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 09, 2024, 03:32:01 PMIt's weird because I do like obviously made up idiocy, but there was something about the way it was written (and performed) that really rubbed me up the wrong way. I've always felt that if you're doing a surreal or absurd bit of comedy you absolutely have to sell it, that if any one in the audience isn't laughing than they're the mad one, but as he kept undercutting everything by saying things like "this one won't work" or "the audience hated this the other day" it took me out of the reality of the world he was trying to build. I get that it was a work in progress as well of course, but he seemed really happy with how it was going (hence over running for so long) yet so many of the punchlines were lazy and dated that I found myself wincing over and over again. And even if I'm wrong about 99%, I still feel that a Jimmy Saville joke in this day and age is a fucking shit thing to do unless you've got a really unique spin on it, and he definitely didn't.

I saw him a few years ago and noted the same this one's shit, this one never works hesitancy that I thought felt real and not part of the persona/performance (and was detrimental to the material) and whenever I've heard him interviewed that sort of thing has cropped up there was well, I guess that's just how he is

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on February 09, 2024, 06:09:25 PMI saw him a few years ago and noted the same this one's shit, this one never works hesitancy that I thought felt real and not part of the persona/performance (and was detrimental to the material) and whenever I've heard him interviewed that sort of thing has cropped up there was well, I guess that's just how he is

It's something I've seen a few other stand ups do as well and I can't say I'm a fan, I've even known one do it when the material was going doing really well which felt weird.

Oosp

Mentioned already in his own thread, but I saw Sam Campbell this week and it was 10/10, 5 stars. Almost all other standup seems quite shit in comparison, in my own humble etc. Don't have the energy right now to go into detail, but, y'know (gestures towards Sam Campbell's creative output to date) see for yourselves

lauraxsynthesis

Last Sunday went to Up The Creek in Greenwich for their Sunday Special birthday party. There were party hats and free cake. It's a big space for a comedy club and the vibe was jolly and I'll definitely go back on a Sunday. Compere was Daniel Kitson and he was great. Got some running jokes going, told off the sound dude/manager a few times, was lovely about the other acts and for me had just the right balance of crowd work. Here are the acts:
Ceyla AB - my 3rd time seeing her and I've always liked her.  Her confidence has built over the last couple of years and it suits the act. Great piss-taking of English people/Britain and making reference to her heritage being from a colonised rather than colonising country.

Jin Hao Li - starts off quiet and understated and had us paying close attention and gradually built some big laughs. Very skilled stuff for a young fella. I look forward to seeing more of him.

Fern Brady - a surprise addition to the bill doing new material. Always delighted to see her, though some of her stuff was about her plans to "break America" which is something that always seems naff to me but she was self-deprecating about it. She's got a 3-month tour over there so we'll see if she ever comes back.

Ivo Graham - knew the name but had never seen him, and I only stayed for the first 5 minutes because I had to go collect my dog from the sitter. He was v funny and I'd be up for seeing a full hour. 

--------------------

Last night saw Julia Masli: ha ha ha ha ha ha ha at the Soho Theatre. Going to do a long review here because I want to get it down before I forget anything. It doesn't sound like a comedy show, but it was full of surprises and mad stuff happening so we were pretty much laughing the whole time.

The show came highly recommended and has been winning and getting nominated for awards and I can see why. Cathartic stuff that demonstrates some of the magic of what theatre can do. She's also charming in a clownish kind of a way. Has a nice Estonian accent.

Spoiler alert
The show is different every time because she goes around asking audience members to share a problem and then she asks questions or sets up things to address/solve them. One of the first people she asks mentions "genocide" which could have put a damper on the evening but it ended up being something we came back to several times in the evening and was fated to lead to the climax of the show.

Magical stuff happened. One young woman said she was angry that some friends had left her birthday party early to go to another party. She was brought onstage and it turned out both she and Masli had Russian heritage and both felt to an extent that the war in Ukraine was their fault and they talked about that for a bit. Awesome stuff.

I was sat on a row end and ended up getting asked for a problem. I said "I get migraines" and she looked genuinely sad for me. I was surprised to hear lots of sounds of sympathy around the room as well. Masli asked why I get them and I said it happens when I sleep badly so she asked why again and since the subject had already been broached I admitted thinking about genocide was keeping me awake. So she brought me onstage and from behind a curtain produced a daybed that I lay down on and she put an eye cover and headphones on me and there I stayed for the last 15(?) minutes of the show. I had to peek occasionally to see what else was happening.

What happened next was Masli spoke to a man in the front row who turned out to have had family killed in the West Bank. He did a plea for peace and Masli set it up for him to get crowd surfed up the (there's steep raking in this room) audience. It was quite the night. 

Good review in the Morning Star of another night for more flavour of what to expect. The current run is sold out but it's back in December.
[close]

edwardfog

Sounds like another great night at ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Some comedy heads-ups for the thread here.

Mat Ewins doing a one-off best-of show at the Bill Murray https://www.angelcomedy.co.uk/event-detail/-mat-ewins-complete-history-of-all-the-funny-things-ive-ever-done-29th-feb-the-bill-murray-london-tickets-202402291830/

And Liebenspiel's Late Night Week at the King's Head including a whole bunch of rare or one-off happenings such as

John-Luke Roberts doing Terrible Wonderful Adaptations https://kingsheadtheatre.com/whats-on/terrible-wonderful-adaptations-part-of-liebenspiels-late-night-week

The world's only Scalextric-themed comedy night https://kingsheadtheatre.com/whats-on/hot-rubber-part-of-liebenspiels-late-night-week

Terry Wogan back from the dead again https://kingsheadtheatre.com/whats-on/liebenspiels-late-night-week-presents-late-night-with-terry-wogan

And Sean Morley & Benjamin Alborough's THE GLANG SHOW in which any member of the audience can change the rules of the show at any time https://kingsheadtheatre.com/whats-on/the-glang-show-part-of-liebenspiels-late-night-week

Tiggles

Rachel Fairburn WIP @ Cultplex, Manchester

Rachel is starting to put together her character-driven Edinburgh show, which is about halfway constructed. It's relatively conceptual in structure - the seven deadly sins, once finished, and she tried out four of the characters on us. She's so quick and naturally funny, and I found myself laughing even though a lot of the comedy was pretty much about sex, which I normally find a bit dull unless taken to stupid extremes. At her best when being ridiculous/ absurd and she had some really sharply observed turns of phrase. A great stage presence and I definitely want to see this when done.

She had support from Maxine Wade, who spent 15 minutes being exceptionally crude in the best way possible.

I love this timeslot for WIP, and this venue, with its canny audience, is a great place for trying stuff out. Booked in for Chris Cantrill, Amy Gledhill and Celya AB testing material over the coming months.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on February 10, 2024, 12:08:25 PMLast Sunday went to Up The Creek in Greenwich for their Sunday Special birthday party. There were party hats and free cake. It's a big space for a comedy club and the vibe was jolly and I'll definitely go back on a Sunday. Compere was Daniel Kitson and he was great. Got some running jokes going, told off the sound dude/manager a few times, was lovely about the other acts and for me had just the right balance of crowd work. Here are the acts:
Ceyla AB - my 3rd time seeing her and I've always liked her.  Her confidence has built over the last couple of years and it suits the act. Great piss-taking of English people/Britain and making reference to her heritage being from a colonised rather than colonising country.

Jin Hao Li - starts off quiet and understated and had us paying close attention and gradually built some big laughs. Very skilled stuff for a young fella. I look forward to seeing more of him.

Fern Brady - a surprise addition to the bill doing new material. Always delighted to see her, though some of her stuff was about her plans to "break America" which is something that always seems naff to me but she was self-deprecating about it. She's got a 3-month tour over there so we'll see if she ever comes back.

Ivo Graham - knew the name but had never seen him, and I only stayed for the first 5 minutes because I had to go collect my dog from the sitter. He was v funny and I'd be up for seeing a full hour.

--------------------

Last night saw Julia Masli: ha ha ha ha ha ha ha at the Soho Theatre. Going to do a long review here because I want to get it down before I forget anything. It doesn't sound like a comedy show, but it was full of surprises and mad stuff happening so we were pretty much laughing the whole time.

The show came highly recommended and has been winning and getting nominated for awards and I can see why. Cathartic stuff that demonstrates some of the magic of what theatre can do. She's also charming in a clownish kind of a way. Has a nice Estonian accent.

Spoiler alert
The show is different every time because she goes around asking audience members to share a problem and then she asks questions or sets up things to address/solve them. One of the first people she asks mentions "genocide" which could have put a damper on the evening but it ended up being something we came back to several times in the evening and was fated to lead to the climax of the show.

Magical stuff happened. One young woman said she was angry that some friends had left her birthday party early to go to another party. She was brought onstage and it turned out both she and Masli had Russian heritage and both felt to an extent that the war in Ukraine was their fault and they talked about that for a bit. Awesome stuff.

I was sat on a row end and ended up getting asked for a problem. I said "I get migraines" and she looked genuinely sad for me. I was surprised to hear lots of sounds of sympathy around the room as well. Masli asked why I get them and I said it happens when I sleep badly so she asked why again and since the subject had already been broached I admitted thinking about genocide was keeping me awake. So she brought me onstage and from behind a curtain produced a daybed that I lay down on and she put an eye cover and headphones on me and there I stayed for the last 15(?) minutes of the show. I had to peek occasionally to see what else was happening.

What happened next was Masli spoke to a man in the front row who turned out to have had family killed in the West Bank. He did a plea for peace and Masli set it up for him to get crowd surfed up the (there's steep raking in this room) audience. It was quite the night. 

Good review in the Morning Star of another night for more flavour of what to expect. The current run is sold out but it's back in December.
[close]

Glad you had such a good night with Kitson et al, I saw Ivo do a work in progress in January 2023 and really liked it, even though it was a little ramshackle and he claimed some (good) parts were things he'd never do again I rated it 4/5. And I really like Fern and Ceyla, so I imagine I'd have enjoyed it as well, I've never been to Up The Creek as I fear Greenwich, but I need to rectify that one day.

And yeah, I really need to sort myself out and see Masli too, everyone I know who has seen her has said she was brilliant!

Quote from: Tiggles on February 11, 2024, 05:57:07 PMRachel Fairburn WIP @ Cultplex, Manchester

Rachel is starting to put together her character-driven Edinburgh show, which is about halfway constructed. It's relatively conceptual in structure - the seven deadly sins, once finished, and she tried out four of the characters on us. She's so quick and naturally funny, and I found myself laughing even though a lot of the comedy was pretty much about sex, which I normally find a bit dull unless taken to stupid extremes. At her best when being ridiculous/ absurd and she had some really sharply observed turns of phrase. A great stage presence and I definitely want to see this when done.

She had support from Maxine Wade, who spent 15 minutes being exceptionally crude in the best way possible.

I love this timeslot for WIP, and this venue, with its canny audience, is a great place for trying stuff out. Booked in for Chris Cantrill, Amy Gledhill and Celya AB testing material over the coming months.

I saw Rachel in October 2022 doing the show she'd performed at Edinburgh that year, and for 40 minutes I really loved it, but well, this is what I posted back then: "I feel a bit shit complaining about the final twenty minutes as the first two thirds were so strong, but overall it's very uneven, so although I look forward to seeing what she does next, I'd only rate this 3.75/5". And, er, yeah, I really want to see what she does next, so will definitely try to see her after this year's Edinburgh.

I've nothing booked up this week until next Sunday and Dog Park at The Bill Murray, where the line up is Rose Matafeo, Emma Sidi, Zoe Brownstone, Amy Annette and Tessa Coates, which I'm really looking forward to. Tickets were only £3.50 as well, and are still available if anyone fancies joining me.

Tiggles

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 11, 2024, 08:09:08 PMI saw Rachel in October 2022 doing the show she'd performed at Edinburgh that year, and for 40 minutes I really loved it, but well, this is what I posted back then: "I feel a bit shit complaining about the final twenty minutes as the first two thirds were so strong, but overall it's very uneven, so although I look forward to seeing what she does next, I'd only rate this 3.75/5". And, er, yeah, I really want to see what she does next, so will definitely try to see her after this year's Edinburgh.

I actually read your review before deciding I was curious enough to go and book myself a ticket. Thank you!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Tiggles on February 11, 2024, 08:14:24 PMI actually read your review before deciding I was curious enough to go and book myself a ticket. Thank you!

That's kind of you to say - and I'm really relieved you enjoyed it now. :)

Anyone know what's happened here?

QuoteSoho Theatre statement: We are sorry and saddened by an incident that took place at our venue at the end of a performance of Paul Currie: Shtoom on Saturday 10 February which has caused upset and hurt to members of audience attending and others. We take this very seriously and are looking into the detail of what happened as thoroughly, as sensitively, and as quickly as we can. It is important to us that Soho Theatre is a welcoming and inclusive place for all.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3QEbrBoJI7/