Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

February 26, 2024, 12:03:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hard to find comedy and let's find it why don't we?

Started by JoeyBananaduck, November 08, 2017, 04:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

What happened to the TMWRNJ recording mentioned here, @Barry Admin ?

https://www.ganymede.tv/forums/topic/tmwrnj-live-recording-1998/

Fair enough if you weren't enthused about sharing a bootleg. Just curious to know if it's still around somewhere.

Edit: Urgh. New page wazzock. New page jack ass.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: EggsLikeABird on November 21, 2023, 02:21:03 PMAnyone happen to have the The Greatest Fucking Show On Earth hosting by Jerry Sadowitz? Quite an infamous show, but cant manage to find it.

Sent you a PM.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mobbd on November 24, 2023, 07:53:49 PMWhat happened to the TMWRNJ recording mentioned here, @Barry Admin ?

https://www.ganymede.tv/forums/topic/tmwrnj-live-recording-1998/

Fair enough if you weren't enthused about sharing a bootleg. Just curious to know if it's still around somewhere.

Edit: Urgh. New page wazzock. New page jack ass.

Still sitting here with a pile of others to do.  I get chronically distracted due to ADHD.  Sorting some IRL stuff at the minute, then I'll do it and/or send a bunch of stuff on to other folks.

Also I didn't have a computer for many years so couldn't do it anyway, but a neighbour sold me an old one for 50 quid last year, so now I just have to get my arse in gear.

EggsLikeABird

Anyone happen to have series 2 of the Bob Mills written Bob Martin, with Michael Barrymore and Keith Allen? Series 1 is on youtube, but Series 2 seems to have disappeared of the face of the earth. Just find it fascinating we lived in a world where Michael Barrymore did a Larry Sanders rip-off.

Twilkes

I saw a sketch online a few years ago with two American guys (possibly both with mullets and moustaches, maybe at a house party) who got into some kind of head-locking standoff argumenmt about how they weren't gay and were so secure in their heterosexuality that they were fine doing 'gay' things, and it escalated so much that they ended up getting married even though they were adamant that neither of them were gay and each hated the other one.

Ring a bell with anyone?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Twilkes on December 19, 2023, 12:43:12 PMI saw a sketch online a few years ago with two American guys (possibly both with mullets and moustaches, maybe at a house party) who got into some kind of head-locking standoff argumenmt about how they weren't gay and were so secure in their heterosexuality that they were fine doing 'gay' things, and it escalated so much that they ended up getting married even though they were adamant that neither of them were gay and each hated the other one.

Ring a bell with anyone?

Yeah, that's from Mr Show, i think. Sounds familiar to a sketch they did where they married each other to prove they weren't a pussy.

Edit - this one? -

Twilkes

Yep that'll be the one, I must have incorrectly filled in the gaps that I couldn't remember. And it was the women who had the mullets. :)

prwc

Does anyone have the 2019 documentary A Brush With Comedy? About the overlap between the art world and comedy, directed by Vic Reeves' son. Seems like it may be available to Sky users.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: prwc on December 20, 2023, 08:06:29 PMDoes anyone have the 2019 documentary A Brush With Comedy? About the overlap between the art world and comedy, directed by Vic Reeves' son. Seems like it may be available to Sky users.

I can get this for you, I'm heading off to cat sit in the morning but I'll download it tomorrow evening and send you a link then.

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks to the joys on Insomnia I've now got this and uploaded it somewhere, if anyone else wants the link just pm me.

BeardFaceMan

Got reminded of this by the Down The Line thread but there were 2 Brian Pern Specials, one called A Tribute and the other called At The BBC. At The BBC was on the DVD release, does anyone have the Tribute show (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08kz93t), which wasn't? Or is it just a clip show of the series?

BeardFaceMan

poodlefaker

Quote from: prwc on December 20, 2023, 08:06:29 PMdirected by Vic Reeves' son.

He must've struggled from humble beginnings to make Sky documentaries about comedy and art. Fair play to him for fighting his way in there. 

Twilkes

Don't remember who it was, but I'm sure there was a British standup talking about the paucity of relationship with his father, and one morning together at breakfast one of them said "The bacon's nice", and the other affirmed "Mm."

And in the evening his mother very tentatively said "I heard you had a good chat with your father about the bacon..."

Ring any bells? I'm hearing it in a Geordie accent but may be wrong.

ShadowRaichu

Would anyone have access to the 1980s sketch shows "Coming Up Next" and "Pushing Daisies"? For the longest time, it was on Youtube, but the channel hosting it just terminated without explanation a few months ago, and I haven't been able to find much traces since.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: ShadowRaichu on February 13, 2024, 11:38:07 AMWould anyone have access to the 1980s sketch shows "Coming Up Next" and "Pushing Daisies"? For the longest time, it was on Youtube, but the channel hosting it just terminated without explanation a few months ago, and I haven't been able to find much traces since.

There's two episodes of Pushing Up Daisies (with Chris Barrie and Hale and Pace) that I can get for you, but the other five are seemingly missing.

ShadowRaichu

You could? Yeah please - even those would be enough.

madhair60

Small Man Big Horse

lauraxsynthesis

A film reel of Lance Percival's comedy show has turned up in Coventry Cathedral. This has given me some hope about my most sought after and possibly lost 1960s TV rarities:

What's Going On Here? (1963)
Peter Cook & Jonathan Miller made this while doing Beyond the Fringe in the USA and it sounds lit. 
Mentioned in this old thread:

In 1963, there was collaboration between Peter Cook, Jonathan Miller, John Bird, members of Second City, and Bob & Ray on a show called What's Going On Here? Cook, still on the US tour of Beyond The Fringe, was eager to answer This Was The Week That Was with a television program of his own, probably thinking David Frost shouldn't be the only one capitalizing on the satire boom . From all accounts, it was an ambitious straight-faced satire of television news. Directed by Miller, with the material written by the cast from improvisations before broadcast, ...Broadcast simultaneously to Associated Rediffusion in London (where it was praised) and New York (where it was panned). It sufficiently impressed Ed Sullivan, of all people, that he endeavored to absorb parts of it into his own program (if the bits were taken directly from the pilot or re-performed is hard to determine)...When questioned if it was successful, Miller answered "It was too smart."

What Did You Say This Thing Was Called, Love? (1968) and Where Was Spring (1970). Comedy sketch shows about relationships made by Eleanor Bron & John Fortune. Stephen Fry says WWS is his favourite ever comedy. It's said to have been wiped in the bad old days of the BBC not looking after it's archive properly. But I live in hope. I do own the book that reproduces some of the sketches. 
https://www.memorabletv.com/tv/where-was-spring-bbc-comedy-john-fortune-eleanor-bron/

Captain Z

I don't know if this is really the thread for it, but since it's at the top and on my mind...

What is the name of that US comedian that does a 5-minute 'generic/non-specific observational comedy' routine from around 10 years ago? There were two different filmed versions of it on YouTube, but I can't remember any of the details in order to find them. He has a real name but this bit is done 'in character' under a different name. I can't remember any of the lines exactly but it's like "what's with the way stuff is these days! Nobody told me it was supposed to be like that!"...?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Captain Z on February 15, 2024, 03:36:18 PMI don't know if this is really the thread for it, but since it's at the top and on my mind...

What is the name of that US comedian that does a 5-minute 'generic/non-specific observational comedy' routine from around 10 years ago? There were two different filmed versions of it on YouTube, but I can't remember any of the details in order to find them. He has a real name but this bit is done 'in character' under a different name. I can't remember any of the lines exactly but it's like "what's with the way stuff is these days! Nobody told me it was supposed to be like that!"...?

Andy Daly, I think it was on the Comedy Death Ray CD.

McChesney Duntz

Spoiler alert
"What else is going on?"
[close]
may be the thing that makes me laugh hardest in the world.

Small Man Big Horse

Absolutely love Andy Daly, and it's a crime Review isn't considered to be one of the all time great comedy series by every single breathing human. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Review_(TV_series)

Utter Shit

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 15, 2024, 07:44:37 PMAbsolutely love Andy Daly, and it's a crime Review isn't considered to be one of the all time great comedy series by every single breathing human. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Review_(TV_series)
This sounds great, anyone got a download?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 15, 2024, 08:14:16 PMThis sounds great, anyone got a download?

It's available via The Pirate Bay, but if you don't do the torrenting thing I do have it on an external hard drive, and will be able to upload it somewhere tomorrow.

It's based on an Australian series called Review With Myles Barlow, and it's a pretty unusual situation where the set up is the same but the central character is quite different, and I love both a good deal, and that is at least partially up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1eLLNQzOMU