Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 02, 2024, 07:54:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Faeces

I really enjoyed it. It was a lot less awkward than I thought it might be. Also interesting to not just do a run down of his career or walk through of the memoir.

What I like about Herzog is his committed belief in the correctness and/or value of his own views. I feel that's quite an unfashionable thing to be. I've seen him described as a contrarian before but I don't think that's quite right.

So with mobile phones it's his contention that everyone else is obtuse for using them constantly not him for choosing to not have one and maintain a high level of scepticism about the internet. I like listening to him talk about technology although I found his film that most obviously addresses this "Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World" one of his weaker efforts.

Mobbd

Quote from: Steve Faeces on February 09, 2024, 09:22:50 AMI found his film that most obviously addresses this "Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World" one of his weaker efforts.

I really enjoyed the first chapters about the computer scientists inventing the whole thing. The actual "lo" moment. The rest was pretty weak by his standards; a bit fusty and out of touch.

Mobbd

I'm reading the last few chapters of the memoir and he directly addresses his voice. He says he based his way of speaking in film on the precise intonations of hypnotists (!) and that its one of the things that separates his documentaries from anything you'd see on National Geographic.

He also says:

QuoteThere are dozens of imitators but none of them has really caught my sound. My voice has found a great community of fans, which combined with my view of life asks to be imitated. I am a grateful victim of such satirists.

That's a great insight into whether he has a sense of humour or not and how aware he is of the way the world sees him.

There's more to the quote. If you're interested, the chapter is called, simply "Hypnosis" and it follows a related chapter about truth in filmmaking called "The Truth of the Ocean."

Steve Faeces

About 25 mins into the latest one. Has anyone finished it and does the guest get less irritating and self regarding?

Toki

Quote from: Steve Faeces on February 14, 2024, 04:36:18 PMAbout 25 mins into the latest one. Has anyone finished it and does the guest get less irritating and self regarding?

Hey, replace that moral superiority with compassion, it's paramount to any social movement or any form of protest. Understand yourself and then you'll understand everyone else. I'm talking absolute bollocks, sorry.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Steve Faeces on February 14, 2024, 04:36:18 PMAbout 25 mins into the latest one. Has anyone finished it and does the guest get less irritating and self regarding?

I've managed 10 minutes.

Pink Gregory

Adam Buxton talks about the problem with 'cancel culture', part 8/a fucking billion

Have to say I commented above but I listened to the Joe Lycett episode, and while I generally like both Buxton and Lycett, their smug, superior tone about who they essentially regard as their inferiors (i.e. the public) really made me hate them for about 20 minutes or so.  Soured me on Adam a bit permanently.

I do wonder why Adam has such a hobby-horse about this stuff, because behind all his centrist pontificating, what he really thinks does tend to come out, and sometimes it's fairly ugly.

Steve Faeces

Hi Steve from earlier. No they don't. Fatuous rubbish from start to finish. 

Spoiler alert
By the end she's just reading out inspirational quotes off an app.

The bit about taking sides over BLM or (her words) when "George Floyd happened". He was murdered by the state for fucks sake, what possible confusion can there be about which side you should be on?

We have Adam's current fixation on being cancelled right to the fore in this one too
[close]

Honestly hated every minute of that. Bought myself a lovely pie for valentine's day and I don't fancy it now.

dontpaintyourteeth

Pink Gregory

I noticed that he quoted Dave Chapelle approvingly recently, without crucial context of...certain other things he's said.

idunnosomename

Works for this American think tank
https://fee.org/rev1/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_for_Economic_Education

Retweets Anna Slatz of Reduxx, and her brand account retweets Zuby, so maybe he's not that far off getting Helen Joyce on

Pink Gregory

Then again being frustrated with Adam Buxton is how I found CaB so gotta thank him for that

selectivememory

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 14, 2024, 06:53:45 PMskipping that one then, cheers

Yeah, sounds awful! Hopefully he'll have someone funny on next week's episode.

Pink Gregory

he's got to interview Alexei Sayle one day, surely?  Fellow podcaster?  I'd like to see it happen.

Mobbd

Reckon I'll skip this week's episode then. Or this month's. Or this... whatever the fuck schedule this is supposed to be now.

Toki

I don't want to pile-on, but... how can you answer 'how is Croydon these days?' without going into the Brick by Brick scandal and the failed shopping centre plans and the council going bankrupt? Just seemed a bit of a missed opportunity.

selectivememory

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 14, 2024, 06:55:51 PMso maybe he's not that far off getting Helen Joyce on

Adam was interviewed by Hadley Freeman back when she was still at the Guardian, and I have been dreading him possibly returning the favour ever since. Maybe she's a bit too far gone now though.

MrsWarboysLover

I started listening to it, and after ten minutes I was so annoyed I thought I would check the CaB consensu. I was hoping at least one person would feel the same and I'm delighted to see everyone seems to agree this guest was tedious self obsessed, unhinged from reality and has absolutely nothing of value to say

jimboslice

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 14, 2024, 06:39:53 PMHave to say I commented above but I listened to the Joe Lycett episode, and while I generally like both Buxton and Lycett, their smug, superior tone about who they essentially regard as their inferiors (i.e. the public) really made me hate them for about 20 minutes or so.  Soured me on Adam a bit permanently.

I do wonder why Adam has such a hobby-horse about this stuff, because behind all his centrist pontificating, what he really thinks does tend to come out, and sometimes it's fairly ugly.

I think this is a bit unfair. I never got that impression at all from the Lycett interview - what exactly was said that you would describe as "fairly ugly" things that he "really thinks"?

He's guilty of tip-toeing around the whole culture war bollocks a bit too much without explicitly nailing his colours to the mast, but I think it's pretty evident that he's not exactly on Glinner and Andrew Doyle's team.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: Pink Gregory on February 14, 2024, 06:39:53 PMI do wonder why Adam has such a hobby-horse about this stuff, because behind all his centrist pontificating, what he really thinks does tend to come out, and sometimes it's fairly ugly.

Lightly scratch the privately educated and ...

Pink Gregory

Quote from: jimboslice on February 15, 2024, 09:37:09 AMI think this is a bit unfair. I never got that impression at all from the Lycett interview - what exactly was said that you would describe as "fairly ugly" things that he "really thinks"?

He's guilty of tip-toeing around the whole culture war bollocks a bit too much without explicitly nailing his colours to the mast, but I think it's pretty evident that he's not exactly on Glinner and Andrew Doyle's team.

It's purely personal, really.  He's a bog standard liberal, that doesn't chide most people but it does me.

lauraxsynthesis

That Akanbi person - I couldn't get past the recording at the beginning of her spouting poorly thought out and contradictory platitudes. How on earth did she end up getting selected for an interview?

idunnosomename

Funny how her book "The Awokening" got a cover and was catalogued as available for pre-order from 2022 but currently has a release date of 31 Dec 2028.

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 15, 2024, 11:16:13 AMFunny how her book "The Awokening" got a cover and was catalogued as available for pre-order from 2022 but currently has a release date of 31 Dec 2028.

In fairness, a book I intended to co-write  had a cover about a week after our proposal was accepted.

Then it went on Waterstones and Amazon online etc before we even wrote a word.

Then my co-writer got pushed out of his job because he sexually harassed students.   Then I sent one email to him and ghosted him.

The book still exists for pre-order online and the publication date keeps getting pushed back each year....forever....like those plans you know you will never complete.

idunnosomename

Yeah I know people this has happened too as well, somewhere along a chain a deadline is missed and you get a phantom book on amazon etc (she mentions in the interview shes had trouble with it). Still, point was she doesn't have a book. She just has this hustle of going to events organised by right-wing free speech think tanks and saying unchallenging platitudes about race and sexuality for Tufto Street types to stroke their chins too.

I suspect her agent pushed her to Buckles, and he recognised her from the DDN viral vid from 2020 so decided to have her on.

I listened to the whole interview as I was fascinated how she could talk so much while saying so little. The end where she just reads inspo quotes off an app was incredible. Yeah check out Rumi Adam!

popcorn

Adam often mentions how his father thought that modern society had gone too far with expressing emotions and so on, and thought it was improper and should all be bottled up.

Sometimes I feel the same way about people describing any sort of "spiritual awakening" or something, as this guest does. Can't we all just be sensible please.

jsgibble

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 15, 2024, 11:36:26 AMI listened to the whole interview as I was fascinated how she could talk so much while saying so little. The end where she just reads inspo quotes off an app was incredible.

After Adam asking her what she does for fun as well.

Jack Shaftoe

I wonder if there's some of that thing where a PR company goes 'you can have Person A who is cool and interesting but in return you must also do an episode with Person B who is a foolish dullard' going on.