Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:07:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pranet

Sometimes you guys are actually properly mad.

Exactly how should he and his wife of 23 years and their friends have spent their evening in a way that would met your approval?

Pranet

On reflection, "properly mad" was being a bit harsh.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: Pranet on March 01, 2024, 10:11:40 AMOn reflection, "properly mad" was being a bit harsh.

I'm so glad there's other people out there who can stew over something like this for a whole night and then come back to apologise to online strangers for very mildly criticising / teasing them.

It think it's my upbringing. I feel sick to my stomach whenever I 'own' someone. Folks like you and me were maybe not made for the internet ha ha :)

Thosworth

Disregarding the horrific insults being thrown around, our new TV has a YouTube app, and I have no problem spending a evening jumping around the tempting offerings like an attention spanless Gen Z - it weirdly seems to almost know the content that I will like.

So spending an evening by the fire with Buckles sharing YouTube clips, to me would be a perfect night out* and anyone who can't see that must be mad. Oh wait. Damn.

*in

PlanktonSideburns

Yea its just another form of telly, sounds like a pretty regular night in - can't always be projecting French new wave in the cinema room inni

Sometimes you just want to watch a woman fall into a hole

phantom_power

Quote from: Two Headed Sex Beast on February 29, 2024, 10:13:16 PMYeah he did say this one was from a year ago.

It's just such a waste of time to keep going down that route, especially with someone like Tim Heidecker who doesn't go in for that kind of thing at all. His guests and callers on Office Hours are very diverse, he supports trans rights, he makes fun of Bill Maher and those kind of "now they're telling us you can't say that anymore blah blah" people. Not sure what Adam expected. Would rather he asked a question about On Cinema or HEI Network stuff or Office Hours or basically anything else.

I don't think Buxton is a "you can't say anything anymore" type. I think he is more just a worrier and therefore worries about being "cancelled" for being misinterpreted or misrepresented. And he is sensitive to criticism even if it is just some dumb fuck on Twitter.

I am enjoying the Fred Armison one. I enjoy what I have seen of Documentary Now and love the Ian Rubbish documentary. They get some of the mannerisms and attitudes spot-on

Be decent

Jack Shaftoe

I suspect he genuinely worries about upsetting people, so to do that by getting pronouns wrong or something (like most people, I think he's a bit mystified by the whole trans thing but doesn't want be an arse about it) and then have people yell at you on the internet would be pretty upsetting for him. I don't think it comes from a bad place.

(edit: what phantomplanet just said)

PlanktonSideburns

He worries so much about it that you forget what it was even originally about

Mobbd

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 01, 2024, 11:00:59 AMYea its just another form of telly, sounds like a pretty regular night in - can't always be projecting French new wave in the cinema room inni

Sometimes you just want to watch a woman fall into a hole

You'd watch telly with friends after dinner?

Telly isn't even as bad as YouTube for that. Telly can be a background thing. YouTube is all "let me show you THIS!" It absolutely sucks.

After dinner, you play music and drink and smoke and talk.

When people start showing clips, the party is over.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Mobbd on March 01, 2024, 09:29:04 PMYou'd watch telly with friends after dinner?

Telly isn't even as bad as YouTube for that. Telly can be a background thing. YouTube is all "let me show you THIS!" It absolutely sucks.

After dinner, you play music and drink and talk.

Yes if they've been round for dinner, I've watched both telly and YouTube with my friends. How about you what do you get up to? Genuinley curious, but being egfy

Thosworth

I mean isn't going to the cinema with friends just watching one really, really long clip? Plus Buxton in your living room would be basically a personal, interactive BUG show, with the advantage that you have the ability to shout 'SEEN IT, NEXT'

Mobbd

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 01, 2024, 09:32:25 PMYes if they've been round for dinner, I've watched both telly and YouTube with my friends. How about you what do you get up to? Genuinley curious, but being egfy

Just play records, have a little smoke, carry on drinking, talk and laugh.

Mobbd

Quote from: Thosworth on March 01, 2024, 10:18:48 PMI mean isn't going to the cinema with friends just watching one really, really long clip?

No. And that doesn't usually happen after dinner.

Stinky Lomax

Can't believe Buckles is finally getting cancelled and it's for watching YouTube after dinner with friends.

ProvanFan

There's music on youtube. Music videos too, and live performances and that.

And that Stars in Their Eyes Christmas special '92 clip.

thr0b

Quote from: Mobbd on March 01, 2024, 09:29:04 PMYou'd watch telly with friends after dinner?

Ah. Snob.

Thosworth

War of the Roses (1455–1487)
English Civil War (1642–1652)
YouTube after Dinner with Friends (2024–2037)

timbis

No.That's when you walk into a room.

Mobbd

Quote from: thr0b on March 02, 2024, 09:44:46 AMAh. Snob.

If you like.

I just know that if I'd bought wine or a six pack and got on a bus across town to be with my pals, I'd be pretty pissed if it was suddenly telly time.

PlanktonSideburns

Didn't mean to get snobbery accusations going soz all

FeederFan500

I presume they watch clips and have a laugh rather than Buckles yelling SILENCE!! if people don't sit rapt to the clips.

thenoise

Does Buckles read out the comments in a funny voice? Sounds like the kind of party that some people pay good money to go to.

Toki

There's potential for Buxton's after-dinner youtube parties to be delightful or obnoxious. There's really no way to find out without going to one. Has anyone here been invited?

FeederFan500

I went once, after every video he reads a comment from below and says "the Xth member of the Suchandsuch clan" and it got us every time.

Stinky Lomax

I went to one of his parties but instead of watching YouTube as you'd expect, we learnt all about plumbers, we learnt all about stars, we rescued a princess in distress using physical and mental powers. Rather gauche, I thought.

McFlymo

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on March 01, 2024, 11:39:15 AMI suspect he genuinely worries about upsetting people, so to do that by getting pronouns wrong or something (like most people, I think he's a bit mystified by the whole trans thing but doesn't want be an arse about it) and then have people yell at you on the internet would be pretty upsetting for him. I don't think it comes from a bad place.

(edit: what phantomplanet just said)

But it's not difficult to learn about this stuff, if you're so obsessed and worried about saying the wrong thing.

If he genuinely just wants to be a nice bloke and not upset people, he could spend a bit of time understanding the arguments and general points on these issues:

Trans stuff: Affirm a person's chosen gender by using their preferred pro-nouns. Some people are non-binary... I dunno... Is it really complex and weird? A 20 minute youtube video should give you all the important bits you need.

Racism / Privilege / Class / "CANCELLING" stuff:
Sure, it's a little more complex, but again, he's had plenty of time to read into this stuff / learn about it. He's been bringing it up in every fucking episode for years.

I think it's generous to say he's just worried and doesn't want to offend. I want to believe that, but I feel there's wilful ignorance going on there and that's what annoys me. The intolerant / conservative, "You can't say anything these days!" accusations come from the fact he still goes on about this shit, after all this time: He could easily educate himself.

Snrub

I'm actually at a dinner party right now, and we're all sat round reading this thread on the smart TV's browser.