Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 02, 2024, 08:30:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais - Armageddon

Started by There Be Rumblings, December 07, 2022, 10:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The Rickster's new stand-up show taking a two-star kicking in both the Guardian and Telegraph.

"For punchlines we get African babies with Aids, sweatshop children whose mums get raped, and Gervais's fictional limbless son being called "you little fucking grub". If we don't laugh, we're "fragile" and "scared of words... the descent from the salad days of The Office is near-complete."

Bleak.

phes

They're still hanging on to the impression that he is 'a clever man'

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

christ

GURN GURN I'M SAYING THE MOST OFFENSIVE THING I CAN THINK OF

LAUGH YOU FUCKING WOKEFLAKES LAUGH AT ME KICKING THIS [slur slur slur slur]

LITERALLY ASSAULTING ANOTHER HUMAN BEING WHILE SCREAMING ABUSE AT THEM

I'M FUNNY

jobotic

Just a manky dog walking on his hind legs for a bunch of cunts so he'll get money he doesn't need.

So brave and daring.

JamesTC

Record-breaking Netflix special in the waiting.

Dimbleby

Stand-up has never been his forte, but christ those reviews are damning.

Maurice Yeatman

Four stars in The Times, although the review itself was lukewarm although I'm not sure how good a judge of stand-up Christopher Biggins is.
There was also a four-star review for Kevin Bridges in the same edition by the same reviewer that was much more positive. Maybe Gervais's four stars was a production error. (You can use that last comment, Ricky. Don't forget to mime me typing.)

Wonderful Butternut

It'S oVerBloWn IrONy

Question: Was Gervais ever funny?

idunnosomename

imo, no. I hated him from the instant I saw him on the 11 o'clock show and never watched The Office because of those bad vibes. to me he is a distilled bottle of unfunny cunt

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on December 07, 2022, 11:43:48 PMIt'S oVerBloWn IrONy

Question: Was Gervais ever funny?

Yes when he played the character David Brent - been doing some clip re-watches and it's such a great performance. And The Office - that he co-wrote with Stephen Merchant - is very funny, I think. The XFM stuff was good too as an ensemble piece.

Also the misanthropic and narcissistic character that evolved in part into Brent felt quite fresh and funny at the time although it didn't always land. I remember some bits (mainly from the 11 o'clock Show) really made my friend and I laugh but then other times I felt we were trying to find it funnier than it was.

After that it was rapidly diminishing returns quickly destroyed by too much money and a lack of criticism.

I never really liked Extras - in part because I don't like celebs bravely sending themselves up and doubly so with the Samuel L Jackson one because he didn't send himself up. But for me watching the first stand up show was where I lost any excitement at seeing him and thought - this is not very good and seems cribbed at best and a re-work of other stuff.

The Mollusk

Stop acting like African babies don't need taking down a peg or two you melts

sevendaughters

Here's the Telegraph's 2 star review liberated for fellow communists

QuoteBut, really, he wants to be an ideas man; he's a frustrated lecturer, with his onstage lectern and statistics about human evolution. He gestures towards intriguing theories on social hypocrisy, irony, freedom of speech, but they never take off – it's the crassest lines that get the biggest laughs. What could become interesting points are hobbled by the hour's contradictions. "If you're relying on the audience to agree with you to get applause, you're losing something comedically," he says, in a show that contrives several applause-breaks for approval.

https://archive.ph/aWyQ5

Quote from: There Be Rumblings on December 07, 2022, 10:15:49 PMThe Rickster's new stand-up show taking a two-star kicking in both the Guardian and Telegraph.

"For punchlines we get African babies with Aids, sweatshop children whose mums get raped, and Gervais's fictional limbless son being called "you little fucking grub". If we don't laugh, we're "fragile" and "scared of words... the descent from the salad days of The Office is near-complete."

Bleak.

I bet Frankie Boyle thinks he's trying too hard to be an edgelord.

Shaxberd

The problem with Gervais's stand-up - well, one of the problems - is that he wants to be a fearless iconoclast but he also desperately wants to be loved. He follows up a barrage of potentially offensive jokes with defensive waffle about how terrible it is that people are so easily offended.

But if there wasn't the risk of causing offense, what would be the point of the edgy joke? He's too cowardly to go full Sadowitz, revel in the hate and feel like if people walk out he's doing something right. But he's also inherently too much of a playground bully to play it safe and focus on crowd-pleasers.

I guess maybe it appeals to other people who are annoyed the material that got them big laughs in secondary school is now more likely to get a "seriously, mate" or a "Dad, you're not funny", but like most of CaB I preferred him before it all went to his head.

sevendaughters

sadly our culture industry has made it more acceptable than at any point since Moses went on a nice hill walk for people to blindly worship fatted calves and graven idols and indeed intervene on their behalf online

I'm of the age where The Office and the XFM shows are of tremendous influence because I was a teenager at the time. Much of my life and character was probably moulded by those two shows and I still quote them both regularly. Gervais was just an important part of both, rather than the most important or only important part, which is how he sees himself.

Gervais is simply a narcissist. He hasn't evolved comedically, he hasn't said anything new since about 2004 (at the latest), he hasn't got the humility or the growth mindset to really challenge himself. For a lot of people that's enough, and those are the people who love After Life. There is no inward looking, introspective self-critical thinking. There is no willingness to say something different. There is no discernible intellect beyond essentially being a moderately clever, know-it-all 16 year old boy. There is no emotionally intelligent depth. He keeps having to explain to everyone how clever he is, which isn't very clever.

This Guardian piece was particularly illuminating on the sort of person he is. Note his reaction to his producer being accused of sexually assaulting women - "I literally tried to not think about it at all" - and the fact that he didn't even ask the interviewer's name, or ask him any questions. Classic narcissism. 

Petey Pate

How much of this is rehashed bits from the XFM shows (usually things that Karl Pilkington said) I wonder?

BritishHobo

Can't believe he still gets away with tediously over-explaining how his jokes aren't offensive and why you shouldn't be offended. As if there is genuinely any danger his career might get derailed if somebody is upset by a certain joke. If he had the courage of his convictions he would just do the jokes. As I've always said, he is a man too scared to admit he just finds being bigoted funny. He needs to convince himself it's all clever irony.

jobotic

Yeah but then if you're a fan not only do you get to laugh at his jokes you get told how cool you are for not being offended. He can't leave that bit out

up_the_hampipe

It's a shame that he will never understand that we're not offended, just bored. I wish he had the capacity to offend me. That would actually be a thrill, but he's too shit.

dontpaintyourteeth

a second offensive joke has flown into the towers

frajer

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on December 08, 2022, 01:32:38 PMa second offensive joke has flown into the towers

Can't believe it's been 10 years since Gervais smashed Derek into our television screens it still freaks my nut out to this day

g0m

What if it turned out this one was really good?

g0m

Hear me out - what if it turned out this new ricky gervais stand up special where he yells about rape aids to a gallery of hooting morons was actually a standout piece of the art of stand-up comedy, the job he's allowed to have because he made a lot of money from selling a TV format he co-created to overseas markets? There's literally no way to know [ruling out watching it, obviously not going to do that]

sevendaughters

The explaining the joke thing as a crap meta-commentary is his caffiene-free diet Stewart Lee thing, he cannot get away from it.

Quote from: OpenMikeKnight on December 08, 2022, 10:32:26 AMThis Guardian piece was particularly illuminating on the sort of person he is. Note his reaction to his producer being accused of sexually assaulting women - "I literally tried to not think about it at all" - and the fact that he didn't even ask the interviewer's name, or ask him any questions. Classic narcissism. 

Thanks for posting this, it reminded me of just what a sad wanker he is, and that money doesn't remove anyone's deep seated issues. Going on stage to tell Hollywood movie stars you're better than them, ffs. And I suspect the reason he prefers rhinos to Syrian children is there is no possible chance he might meet a rhino only for it to tell him they thought Afterlife was shit. 

Dr Rock

QuoteI remind him of the time Ian Hislop slammed his standup show Animals in 2003. After that, he finished each gig by calling Hislop an "ugly little pug-faced cunt". Ah, Gervais says, but this was actually a clever joke rather than foul-mouthed retribution. "The joke was he said that I was childish and used playground insults, so then I do a childish joke. I even called him up to ask if he minded me saying that. And he said, 'Do what you want, but I just want to say I'm a fan.'"