Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

February 26, 2024, 10:25:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais - Armageddon

Started by There Be Rumblings, December 07, 2022, 10:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

here's the brutal thing that extremist carelord Hislop said that caused grief and is in no way true 20 years on

QuoteHe obviously had cobbled the show together and it looks like it. I'm sure that Eddie Izzard doesn't cobble his shows together. Watching Ricky Gervais you thought, "Oh, yeah, you can more or less do this." I cannot see why he is on stage. The worrying thing is that a lot of the material is so banal. He deconstructs Genesis and tells us that it is not literally true, which is about 400-year-old as a starter. He produces a book of homosexual animals. There was a whole series about that on Channel 4 and stand-ups use that to make jokes for the next three years. There is nothing wrong with it, but it's a bit flat.

lankyguy95

And in 2012, Hislop was asked:

QuoteWho makes you turn off the TV?
Ricky Gervais.
Sounds like a big fan.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 08, 2022, 04:25:10 PMAfter that, he finished each gig by calling Hislop an "ugly little pug-faced cunt".

#kindnessismagic

Dr Rock

Ah but it was clever because Hislop had said his comedy was just childish insults (citation needed)

up_the_hampipe

Hislop's review of Gervais is my favourite thing he's ever done, in retrospect. I was a fan of Gervais back when I first heard it, and I've always kind of hated Hislop. Now, though, it's a beautiful thing, especially the "Oh, yeah, you can more or less do this". Reminds me of when Bill Murray called Chevy Chase "a medium talent". 

DigForVictory

I just cannot believe he is still doing edgelordy jokes about babies with AIDS or cancer and rape and all that shit.

I remember quite liking his first two standups and watching his third one "Fame" in  about 2008 and thinking right he needs to move on now from this stuff. Faux ironic offensiveness is stale now and he needs to move on.

The fact he's still doing it nearly 15 years later is embarrassing.

Catalogue Trousers

Ferris

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 08, 2022, 01:11:21 PMIt's a shame that he will never understand that we're not offended, just bored. I wish he had the capacity to offend me. That would actually be a thrill, but he's too shit.

Yeah it's this for me. You're not a dangerous outré performer Rick, you're a weirdo who made a Ted Danson joke at the golden globes before doing a backslapping apology later. I can't think of a comic I respect who'd do an awards show, and that's sort of the problem. Carlin wasn't needy enough to be pseudo-mates with Seinfeld. He knew which side he was on and didn't hold back.

Gervais has all the backbone of stretch armstrong, and because he has no fortitude or moral position beyond "make braying morons laugh at schoolyard humour from 2002 to sell tickets", he's become a tragic figure. Wealthy, certainly, but ultimately a bit of a joke. He doesn't even have the residual credibility that yer Chappelles have "well he's shit now but he was good once upon a time, so..."

Who thinks "master comic" and "ricky gervais" in the same sentence? And if someone did, you'd assume they were taking the piss.

phes

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on December 08, 2022, 04:09:48 PMThanks for posting this, it reminded me of just what a sad wanker he is, and that money doesn't remove anyone's deep seated issues. Going on stage to tell Hollywood movie stars you're better than them, ffs. And I suspect the reason he prefers rhinos to Syrian children is there is no possible chance he might meet a rhino only for it to tell him they thought Afterlife was shit. 

I'm confident this man tortures and I dare say has sex with animals when others are not looking. He is the dog jimmy saville

phantom_power

I am torn now. On the one hand I agree with every Hislop criticism but on the other he is an ugly little pug-faced cunt. I just don't know what to believe

See his pug-nosed face, ba-baaa,ba-baaaa.

idunnosomename

Quote from: phantom_power on December 09, 2022, 09:09:06 AMI am torn now. On the one hand I agree with every Hislop criticism but on the other he is an ugly little pug-faced cunt. I just don't know what to believe
ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Quote from: lankyguy95 on December 08, 2022, 05:22:49 PMAnd in 2012, Hislop was asked:
Sounds like a big fan.
its good thing, go to bed early, read a book.

#kindnessismagic

Joe Oakes

It's a bit weird that his second favourite insult is pug-face, after cunt, obviously. Incidentally, After Cunt would be a great name for a sitcom. Pugs' faces have been engineered to look so cute that they can barely even function as faces. Now you're telling them that they aren't beautiful and are instead a measure for ugliness? It's all the poor wheezing fuckers have going for them. Animal lover, my arse. And yes, wags, by that I mean my arse is an animal lover and the rest of my body is indifferent.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 08, 2022, 07:23:51 PMNow, though, it's a beautiful thing, especially the "Oh, yeah, you can more or less do this". Reminds me of when Bill Murray called Chevy Chase "a medium talent".

You're missing the vital context, which is that was what Murray shouted at Chase while the both of them were being physically restrained after a fistfight broke out between them on the set of SNL, which makes those two already hilarious words ten times funnier.

It also reminds me of when I heard Peter Kay doing his 'misheard lyrics' on Radio 2. "It sounds like they're saying ____!!!! 🤣🤣🤣" during New Radicals' 'You Get What You Give' while Zoe Ball did her usual morning radio DJ sycophantic giggling. I remember just being baffled, not only thinking anyone could do this, but anyone could've done this about 20 years ago and literally nothing would have to be changed.

Jack Shaftoe

The thing is, I've had a shit December and already have low standards, but I reckon seeing Peter Key doing a full set would properly cheer me up, because he really puts the effort it and it's all about the execution. Whereas seeing Gervais would probably be the final straw.

Dr Rock

Gervais is now like Roy Chubby Brown, saying shocking things to an audience that thinks that's the height of comedy, or at least what makes them laugh the most. Way behind the times, but with a loyal audience.

Ferris

In an early routine circa 2004 he was doing impersonations of some African men around a well (so he's come a really long way in 20 years) and one of his quips as he prepared to "do the voice" was:

'Have to be careful here - one wrong move and I'm Jim Davidson!'

Ironically, his opinions have now become the same as Jim Davidson, at least where "cancel culture and you can't say anything these days" is concerned.

sevendaughters

postmodern Jim Davidson, as Frederic Jameson would doubtless say, is worse than Jim Davidson.

I'm just waiting to see if he goes to his lectern and sips his beer.

We'll know everything then.

Mobius

https://x.com/netflixuk/status/1729062623415517612?s=46

Getting a bit of a pasting. Lots of people for Ricky to block in the comments there

idunnosomename

Doctor, I am getting out of here!

idunnosomename

interesting he's retweeting Lisa Graves, of all people who reply to him

big mate of the Andrew Doyle "cancelled comedy" circuit that runs out of Tufton Street and is always in Church House etc
https://archives.battleofideas.org.uk/2018/speaker/lisa-graves/

Video Game Fan 2000

"we're not meant to...as a species"

then goes on about evolution. hark at the big expert on atheism and his opinions about preordination

frajer

I remember that snail evolution bit is something Pilkington said during one of their pods, from what must be at least 15 years ago.

Lazy, lazy bastard.

Video Game Fan 2000

all those teenagers who want to tell their parents they're snails must be freaking out now!!!

The Bumlord

Quote from: frajer on November 29, 2023, 09:43:53 PMI remember that snail evolution bit is something Pilkington said during one of their pods, from what must be at least 15 years ago.

Lazy, lazy bastard.

I'm fairly sure half his stand up ideas are ripped off from Karl.

Mobius

it's really weird how large portions of his standup for the last 20 years now have just been direct ripoffs of things karl has said. sometimes nicking the concept or running with a thought, sometimes just verbatim lines taken. did the same in extras as well, and i assume the fucking shit he made afterwards