Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:13:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Topic: Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Two.

Started by Dr Rock, August 26, 2018, 02:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: daf on December 20, 2018, 09:44:01 PM
DEBBIE HARRY – French Kissing In The USA

My introduction to Ms Harry, I believe.

I remember ITV's Saturday morning chart video show being better value in this era and having a lot more indie content such as Cocteau Twins and the first Fuzzbox single, both of which I taped. They also had info captions IIRC. I also recall seeing Kim Wilde's 'Another Step', a follow up to the Motown cover, on that show rather than bothering with TOTP. Surprised Peel was still doing his schtick this late when they had so many daytime R1 personalities more suited to the blandness of this era's charts.

Anita Baker's single shines out from the surrounding crap despite a Radio 2 vibe.

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 20, 2018, 11:22:11 PM
My introduction to Ms Harry, I believe.

It's becoming a Frank Beardism now, but anyway the song was written by Chuck Lorre.

buzby

Quote from: daf on December 15, 2018, 11:38:00 AM
20 November 1986: Presenters: Janice Long & John Peel
Peel's penultimate 'classic era' appearance. It's pretty clear he's not fan of most of the lineup and sarcasm is overflowing, particularly the caustic introduction for Bon Jovi (I'm with John on that one).
(13) SIMPLE MINDS – Ghostdancing (video)
Fuck off Jim. Simple Minds doing the 'poundshop U2' routine again. One Bono is bad enough!
(4) SWING OUT SISTER – Breakout
Big Mac
Corinne is wearing the same oversize oilskin raincoat she wore in the video.
(11) DEBBIE HARRY – French Kissing In The USA
As pointed out by Better Midlands above, written by Chuck Lorre (he also co-wrote the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme). It was produced by Seth Justman of the J. Geils Band  (who was also on keyboards), Crispin Cloe of the Uptown Horns on sax, and Jocelyn Brown as one of the backing vocalists. The video also features Katey Sagal as one of the girls, having been made in the gap between her role as Jo Tucker in the short-lived Mary Tyler Moore sitcom Mary, and becoming Peggy Bundy in Married With Children. It's amazing to think Ms. Harry was 41 at this point.

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 21, 2018, 02:11:45 AM
I remember ITV's Saturday morning chart video show being better value in this era and having a lot more indie content such as Cocteau Twins and the first Fuzzbox single, both of which I taped. They also had info captions IIRC.
The Chart Show, which started in April 1986, broadcast on Channel 4 on Friday evenings to fill in between series of The Tube (it didn't switch to Saturday mornings on ITV until January 1989).  There was a dispute with the MU over showing videos that meant it was pulled shortly after it started and replaced with a show called Rewind, which showed performances from other music shows instead of videos, until the dispute was resolved in August.

To be fair to TOTP, they always preferred to get live appearances in instead of showing videos, so it depended on who was available that week. and since the BBC schedules changed to make way for Eastenders they were reduced to 30 minutes. Being video-based, The Chart Show cost buttons to make, and they had 30 and later 48 minutes to fill so they could show the more niche areas like the Indie, Rock and Dance charts. They also didn't use the 'official' Gallup chart used by the BBC, instead using the MRIB 'Network' chart used by commercial radio, and later on compiling their own chart.
Anita Baker's single shines out from the surrounding crap despite a Radio 2 vibe.
Especially with all those candles!!!!1!

daf

4 December 1986: Presenters: Mike Smith

(14) THE COMMUNARDS – So Cold The Night
Climber Confusion
(12) ORAN 'JUICE' JONES – The Rain (video)
What a charmer (!)
(3) ERASURE – Sometimes
Wobble Dance
(20) GENESIS – Land Of Confusion (video)
Rubber Gennies 
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(26) JAKI GRAHAM – Step Right Up
(23) THE HOUSEMARTINS – Caravan Of Love
(21) GEORGE BENSON – Shiver
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@N00/sets/72157663009450050

(15) GREGORY ABBOTT – Shake You Down
Hello Ladies!
(1) EUROPE – The Final Countdown (video)
Solo Widdle
(18) BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN – War (live clip / credits)
. . . is stupid, and people are stupid, and that tambourine's not audible in some strange quarters

‪https://we.tl/t-48Zh8xlydA

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buzby on December 21, 2018, 10:08:51 AM
As pointed out by Better Midlands above, written by Chuck Lorre (he also co-wrote the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme). It was produced by Seth Justman of the J. Geils Band  (who was also on keyboards), Crispin Cloe of the Uptown Horns on sax, and Jocelyn Brown as one of the backing vocalists. The video also features Katey Sagal as one of the girls, having been made in the gap between her role as Jo Tucker in the short-lived Mary Tyler Moore sitcom Mary, and becoming Peggy Bundy in Married With Children. It's amazing to think Ms. Harry was 41 at this point.

Lorre was also one of the main developers/writers of Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats (far superior to Boss Cat imo).

Back on subject, they just all looked bored as fuck during that Caravan of Love video. Can't say I blame them.

daf

11 December 1986: Presenters: Janice Long & Steve Wright

(21) JAKI GRAHAM – Step Right Up
Golden Shred
(3) THE HOUSEMARTINS – Caravan Of Love
Fish City Five
(24) ALISON MOYET – Is This Love?
Yahoo!
- - - - - - - - - - - - (breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(27) CAMEO – Candy
(25) DEXYS MIDNIGHT RUNNERS – Because Of You
(16) A-HA – Cry Wolf
(14) JACKIE WILSON – Reet Petite
(19) GEORGE BENSON – Shiver
It's no Giblet Gravy!
(1) EUROPE – The Final Countdown
Vowel . . Vowel . . Consonant . . Vowel . . Consonant . .  and a Vowel please, Carol.

(8) MADONNA – Open Your Heart (video / credits)
Cones Hotline

kalowski

Candy is such a great track. Hope we get the full track in the next episode.

buzby

Quote from: daf on December 20, 2018, 09:44:01 PM
27 November 1986: Presenters: Gary Davies

(19) FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD – Warriors (Of The Wasteland)
The dictionary definition of a band going through the motions, on what would end up being their last appearance on The Pops, and they are a matter of weeks away from splitting (on the third date of the UK tour Davies mentions, the second night at Wembley Arena on 13/01/87). Holly is very subdued and sullen, as is Brian Nash - I would love to know what Holly whispered in his ear during the guitar solo.
(9) DEBBIE HARRY – French Kissing In The USA (video)
Here's what Chuck Lorre has to say about French Kissin', from the vanity card flashed at the end of of a second-season episode of The Big Bang Theory:
Quote from: Chuck Lorre
CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #243

Trying to get a break as a song writer I find out where Harry Nilsson lives and bring him a box of reel-to-reel tapes of my original songs. He threatens to kill me if I ever come to his house again.

Not funny then, funny now.

While working at Marvel Animation I'm told I don't have what it takes to write for the Muppet Babies. Sadly, it's true.

Write French Kissin' in the USA which is covered by Debbie Harry and released as the first single for her debut solo album. It effectively ends her solo career.

Co-write theme song for new animated series called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The show is a massive international success. The music publisher tells my partner and I that we will not be paid music royalties for the millions of video games and video cassettes being sold. The reason we are given is that they'd rather not pay us.

Not funny then, still not funny.
(15) FIVE STAR – If I Say Yes
Quality Street (3000 Coconut Eclair wrappers)
Stedman has pulled out all the stops on these outfits. Whenever they perform one of these fiddly dance routines, I always get the mental image of their father beasting them like Sgt. Hartman in Full Metal Jacket. I do wonder how far Deniece would have got as a solo artist without her family loyalty.
(17) ROGER WHITTAKER & DES O'CONNOR – The Skye Boat Song
What the actual fuck....
(21) GENESIS – Land Of Confusion
Fluck & Law raid the Spitting Image store cupboard. A great video (even though it's for Genesis, who I've never had mych time for) and is Always worth a watch even if only to try remember who all the puppets are. It actually won a Grammy for best concept video (during the short period when that award existed) but lost out at the MTV awards to Gabriel's Sledgehammer.

Quote from: daf on December 21, 2018, 04:44:18 PM
‪https://we.tl/t-48Zh8xlydA

Dead URL, daf!

The Culture Bunker

Pedant point to Chuck Lorre, just in case he's reading: Debbie Harry's debut solo album was "KooKoo", back in 1981. And if the Chic lads couldn't get her career firing up again, I'm not sure he had much chance either.

Buzby try copying the link into the broser rather than clicking the link.

DrGreggles

Quote from: buzby on December 22, 2018, 12:28:49 PM
Stedman has pulled out all the stops on these outfits.

Certainly better than what he pulled out in that public toilet...

daf

buzby

Cheers daf - I think the forum BBCode doesn't like that short link format.

(14) THE COMMUNARDS – So Cold The Night
Cracking track, this - I love anything with a bit of an eastern inflection.It's great that they have got their whole currebt touring band in (including June Miles-Kingston on drums, and Marc Almond's female string section The Venomettes). The original track was mostly recorded on producer Mike Thorne's Synclavier TS (simlar to Paul Hardcastle's) though it did feature a real brass section (The Kick Horns). However, the eastern-sounding instrument at the start is actually a Cor Anglais sample in the Synclavier. Jimmy's vocals are spectacular as usual, and doesn't Sarah Jane look fanstactic?

Mike Thorne's 12" extended mix is a 9-minute epic. It also features a verse written in a made-up language.
What a charmer (!)
Urgh, this song and video are reprehensible stuff -  on the full track the verbal haranguing carries on for over 2 minutes. It was written by the producer Vincent Bell, but you have to question Mr. Jones' judgement in reading it and thinking 'yes, that will sound great!'

This was Def Jam's first number one on the Billboard R&B chart. As was the fashion at the time (See the Roxanne Wars), a number of female response tracks were released to cash in, including Thunder And Lightning by Miss Thang, and Walkin in the Rain, Yes You Saw Me by Pamala Stanley
(3) ERASURE – Sometimes
Vince eschewing the 'bloke stood behind the synthesizer' trope by going for Mark Knopfler's stainless steel National ResoPhonic guitar.
(21) GEORGE BENSON – Shiver
I thought this video looked ropey - turns out it's just re-edited clips from the video for Gimme The Night (a much better song, BTW). Whoever did the re-edit looks like they transferred it from an 8mm film projected on the living room wall using a home video camera and edited on their VHS player (this video for Shiver doesn't seem to have made it onto the intternet).
(15) GREGORY ABBOTT – Shake You Down
End-of-the-night slowie for city centre chain discos.
(1) EUROPE – The Final Countdown (video)
Bloody awful. Still played every day at 3.30pm by DJ Gerhard at the Mooserwirt apres-ski bar in St. Anton when the evening session starts.

On a side note, did you hear the audio flub at the end of the first chart countdown, daf? They must have left the audio channel from the prerecorded chart VT open, so when Smith starts introducing the next act we can hear Smith's recorded voice saying "<something>... That's a pause" underneath him.

non capisco

There's a horrible undercurrent of impending domestic violence to that Oran Juice Jones video, especially when he starts rolling his sleeves up. Then it thankfully cut to that clueless prong Mike Smith unironically going "..'hey, babehh..' Oran Juice Jones, he's a REAL cool guy!"

Erasure are fucking excellent, Andy and Vince are here to try and save the late 80s. One of the finest pop bands this country has ever produced. If your heart doesn't soar at that last "OOOOOOH, sometimes" when Andy changes up the melody then you're dead inside. It originally went "Oooh, baby" but one of the studio engineers pointed out that was a bit shit so Vince looked at a copy of his old act's album 'Black Celebration' that was lying around, saw there was a song on it called 'Sometimes' and thought "Ah, that'll do." See, I can do buzby facts as well on this thread but only if it's about Erasure.

buzby

Quote from: non capisco on December 22, 2018, 07:42:00 PM
There's a horrible undercurrent of impending domestic violence to that Oran Juice Jones video, especially when he starts rolling his sleeves up. Then it thankfully cut to that clueless prong Mike Smith unironically going "..'hey, babehh..' Oran Juice Jones, he's a REAL cool guy!"
Yeah, in the full video she ends up sat in an armchair with him threateningly leering over her, smacking the back of his hand against his other hand. It's all a bit grim, and Smiths vapid obliviousness just adds to it.

non capisco

As for Roger Whittaker and Des O'Connor, I can remember thinking "what on earth is this old people's shit?" listening to the Sunday Top 40 countdown on Radio 1 but don't remember seeing it on TOTP. It's borderline surreal. An old bloke sat on a stool making atonal seagull noises for ages and then Des O'Connor walks on from the back of the stage almost as if his appearance is meant to elicit the applause of recognition. Unfortunately no-one watching gives a tin shit and just wants this horrible whistling farrago to be over so he walks on to silence and I think looks ever so slightly hurt.

kaprisky

Fri 4th Jan:

9pm: TOTP: The Story of 1987.

10pm: TOTP: Big Hits. 87.

The Whittaker and O'Connor duet sounded familiar. I think Arthur Daley and co sing a version of this in the Minder episode The Long Ride Back to Scratchwood (when they're in the back of a van on their way up north to flog 2000 England-Scotland football tickets).

Re: Communards - So Cold The Night

I love that eastern vibe too, this track has a great ska/Night Boat To Cairo feel. It reminds me of one of my favourite 80s obscurities Escape From New York - Fire In My Heart from 1984

https://youtu.be/8hM_84-k3h4

What a charmer (!)

Well creepy. Some weird amalgam of Jilted John and Patrick Bateman.

Gulftastic

kaprisky

More detail:

Fri 4th Jan:

9pm
QuoteTop of the Pops: The Story of 1987
Performances from 1987, a year marked by triumph and disaster. As Mrs Thatcher secured a third term as prime minister, the Channel Tunnel began construction and Wall Street's movie representative Gordon Gecko purred 'Greed.. is good' - Britain was battered by The Great Storm, despaired at Black Monday, and was horrified by the sinking of The Herald of Free Enterprise and the King's Cross fire. And while epic events unfolded in the outside world, the Top of the Pops studio provided a haven for those who wanted to escape. With a new groundbreaking twin show broadcast from the USA, Top of the Pops could sidestep the videos of MTV and bring the very biggest names to UK audiences.

10pm
QuoteTop of the Pops: 1987 - Biggest Hits
Classic Top of the Pops performances from 1987. Including studio appearances from Rick Astley with Never Gonna Give You Up to the godfather of punk, Iggy Pop, whose unforgettable appearance on the show is one not to be missed! The programme also honours Manchester's finest, New Order, and Scottish soft rockers Wet Wet Wet, along with pop royalty Whitney Houston, Curiosity Killed the Cat, Boy George, The Bee Gees, The Pogues and a rare TOTP sighting of Eric B and Rakim. Pepsi and Shirlie and many more are also poured into the mix, providing that perfect measure of definitive 80s pop.

The Herald of Free Enterprise is otherwise known as the Zeebrugge disaster.
Also how many episodes are going to be missing for this year?

Bobtoo

The spoken bit at the end of The Rain is basically an admission that the song failed to tell the story. Poor effort.

daf

Quote from: buzby on December 22, 2018, 07:21:20 PM
On a side note, did you hear the audio flub at the end of the first chart countdown, daf? They must have left the audio channel from the prerecorded chart VT open, so when Smith starts introducing the next act we can hear Smith's recorded voice saying "<something>... That's a pause" underneath him.

That was odd wasn't it - I think there's another audio flub in there too . . . bear with me while i check . . .

Ah yes - coming out of the number one you can hear the audio split left and right with a slight delay (so it's like a 'ping-pong' effect) :
"So that's what happened to Renée and Renato, I always wondered"

Wonder if they were still working the bugs out of the stereo feed (I think this show is in stereo - but it's so narrowed, they may as well have stuck with mono!)

Sebastian Cobb

Was TOTP an early candidate for NICAM experiments (which wikipedia suggests started around '86,but took until the early' 90s to be properly rolled out and acknowledged) or was it just in stereo for future proofing?

Norton Canes

Uncle TechTip

Quite possibly NICAM as you say, also they will start regular simulcasts on Radio 1 soon.

Caravan of Love is the only No.1 I can recall Peel still playing after it reached the summit.

daf

Quote from: kaprisky on December 23, 2018, 10:45:37 AM
Also how many episodes are going to be missing for this year?

16 :
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
15/01/87 (Mike Smith)
29/01/87 (Mike Smith)
26/02/87 (Mike Smith & Steve Wright)
12/03/87 (Mike Smith & Steve Wright)
26/03/87 (Mike Smith)
09/04/87 (Mike Smith)
07/05/87 (Mike Smith)
28/05/87 (Mike Smith)
03/09/87 (Mike Smith)
17/09/87 (Gary Davies & Mike Smith)
24/09/87 (Gary Davies & Mike Smith)
01/10/87 (Gary Davies & Mike Smith)
08/10/87 (Gary Davies & Mike Smith)
05/11/87 (Janice Long & Mike Smith)
10/12/87 (Mike Smith)
25/12/87 (Gary Davies & Mike 'Scrooge' Smith)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And here's what we won't be seeing on TV (unless they include a few in 'Big Hits 1987') :

STUDIO PERFORMANCES :
THE STYLE COUNCIL – It Didn't Matter
RAZE – Jack The Groove
THE CULT – Love Removal Machine
NICK KAMEN – Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever
ALISON MOYET – Weak In The Presence Of Beauty
JANET JACKSON – Let's Wait Awhile
THE BLOW MONKEYS – Out With Her
DEPECHE MODE – Strangelove
SLY & ROBBIE – Boops (Here To Go) 
THE HOUSEMARTINS – Five Get Over Excited
MIRAGE – Jack Mix II
SQUEEZE – Hourglass
LEVERT – Casanova
CLIFF RICHARD – Some People
JOHNNY HATES JAZZ – I Don't Want To Be A Hero
DEF LEPPARD – Pour Some Sugar On Me
HOUSE MASTER BOYZ & THE RUDE BOY OF HOUSE – House Nation
THE COMMUNARDS – Tomorrow
KAREL FIALKA – Hey Matthew
ABC – The Night You Murdered Love
JAN HAMMER – Crockett's Theme
MICK JAGGER – Let's Work
THE SISTERS OF MERCY – This Corrosion
GARY NUMAN – Cars (E Reg Model)
STEVE WINWOOD – Valerie
SHAKIN' STEVENS – Come See About Me
JELLYBEAN FEATURING STEVEN DANTE – The Real Thing
LL COOL J – I Need Love (US TOTP clip)
STEVE WALSH – I Found Lovin'
HEARTBEAT – Tears From Heaven
ERIC B & RAKIM – Paid In Full"
RICK ASTLEY – When I Fall In Love
JOHNNY HATES JAZZ – Turn Back The Clock
ALISON MOYET – Love Letters
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
VIDEO :
THE MISSION – Wasteland
BEASTIE BOYS – (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)
FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD – Watching The Wildlife (+ credits)
U2 – With Or Without You
PETER GABRIEL – Big Time
CLUB NOUVEAU – Lean On Me
THE CULT – Wild Flower
THE FAT BOYS & THE BEACH BOYS – Wipeout (+ credits)
LUTHER VANDROSS – Stop To Love
M/A/R/R/S – Pump Up The Volume (+ credits)
MADONNA – Causing A Commotion
MICHAEL JACKSON – Bad
FREDDIE MERCURY & MONTSERRAT CABALLE – Barcelona
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
BREAKERS :
BANGLES – Walking Down Your Street
THE COMMUNARDS – You Are My World
A-HA – Manhattan Skyline
GARY MOORE – Friday On My Mind