Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Seinfeld thread 966966844758

Started by madhair60, March 22, 2024, 10:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 22, 2024, 12:52:50 PMImagine being Jason Alexander and getting this script and just knowing it's going to be the funniest shit in the world.

His face at the start, fucking hell, amazing

fav episode right here

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on March 22, 2024, 01:27:25 PMAnd yeah nothing stretched the credibility of the show more than 98% of George's girlfriends, I'll allow him the daughter of the dole office woman as being viable but that's it.

It's a Larry David motif. At one point in Curb, Lucy Lawless, yes Zena warrior princess, comes on to Larry and they have a brief fling. Come on man! At least situate it within the realm of possiblity.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 22, 2024, 12:52:50 PMImagine being Jason Alexander and getting this script and just knowing it's going to be the funniest shit in the world.

His face at the start, fucking hell, amazing

I particularly like the insouciant "... it didn't take very long either" in that.
Best Supporting Actor Emmys: Michael Richards 3, Julia Louis-Dreyfus 1, Jason Alexander bupkiss. Crazy.

selectivememory

It's the delivery of "oh, the big RACE, yes, yes" that gets me.

Probably the best casting in a sitcom ever. No one else could have done what he did with the character.

El Unicornio, mang

Don't mind real or TV Jerry, and I think his smugness works in the show's favour to add more schadenfreude when he has embarrassing or terrible things happening to him. Having to wear the puffy shirt or getting dragged into hairbrained schemes or that episode where he keeps being unintentionally racist just wouldn't be as funny if it happened to one of the other characters.

I'm such a Seinfeld saddo that I got a rough 3D model of Jerry's apartment which I fixed up in Unreal Engine, planning to convert it to VR so I can hang out in there of a Saturday night.

Spoiler alert
[close]

Also, think I mentioned it in a previous Seinfeld thread but there's HD rips of the show in the original 4:3 aspect ratio available. Think they were the versions from iTunes as opposed to the widescreen cropped ones on Netflix. The show was all shot on 35mm film so really nice quality aside from bits of the pilot ep.

QDRPHNC

I think I've seen all of them about a million times, with the exception of The Bris, Puerto Rican Day, The Dog and the Finale. Started watching them when I moved to Canada, which is back when they were on their first run. I think the first one I every saw might have been The Sponge. Remember well the day the finale went out too, as we'd just moved into our house and had a carbon monoxide leak, it was terrible.

Spoiler alert
AND THE LEAK WAS PRETTY BAD TOO
[close]

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: selectivememory on March 22, 2024, 01:54:43 PMIt's the delivery of "oh, the big RACE, yes, yes" that gets me.

Probably the best casting in a sitcom ever. No one else could have done what he did with the character.
I love that they have this whole scheme going and can't resist using it to take passive aggressive digs at each other, to the point that George nearly walks out without even mentioning the race.

That dismissive 'No... no, no, no' that Jerry does has gone into my bank of annoying shit I say all the time.

Twilkes

I've posted this before but my favourite ever moment never even made it into the show, presumably because of a little stumble near the beginning - the take they used isn't quite as good and only uses a half glass, as compared to the poetic smoky downing and payoffs of this take:

AngryGazelle

This thread is quite timely as I spent a load of time yesterday reading old Seinfeld threads instead of actually working.

Currently on my first watch and up to season 7. I've loved it so far, It's tame compared to something like Sunny but I really appreciate the lack of mawkishness. George is too damn relatable at times.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: AngryGazelle on March 22, 2024, 03:35:02 PMJerry loves Superman not Batman!

I know, I changed it to Batman as it's supposed to be an "alternative" Seinfeld world. And I prefer Batman.

gilbertharding

Quote"I can't stand it! That slap bass theme tune is enough for me!!"

Now, firstly, everyone is entitled to their opinion. No-one has to like Seinfeld (or the theme tune) - or even have an opinion about it.

But... people who say this (no-one in this thread has, by the way - someone mentioned the theme tune, but they didn't say that) are simply not to be trusted. Like - 'not tasteful enough for you, eh?'

These are the same people, I think (and this is very specific), who, if someone is talking into a microphone over a PA system, and there's a brief shriek of feedback, pull a face like they're in pain. Fuck off, you prissy twat.

gilbertharding

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 22, 2024, 03:50:31 PMI know, I changed it to Batman as it's supposed to be an "alternative" Seinfeld world.

Surely it should be Bizzarro Man then.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 22, 2024, 03:59:29 PMNow, firstly, everyone is entitled to their opinion. No-one has to like Seinfeld - or even have an opinion about it.

But... people who say this (no-one in this thread has, by the way - someone mentioned the theme tune, but they didn't say that) are simply not to be trusted. Like - 'not tasteful enough for you, eh?'

These are the same people, I think (and this is very specific), who, if someone is talking into a microphone over a PA system, and there's a brief shriek of feedback, pull a face like they're in pain. Fuck off, you prissy twat.

I like it. Although I can't hear it anymore without thinking of this (slightly NSFW). Extra great that the guy who wrote the music left a couple of comments in Seinfeld-speak

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQTdwfrDZKN/

Oosp

Endicott

Quote from: Twilkes on March 22, 2024, 03:16:00 PMI've posted this before but my favourite ever moment never even made it into the show, presumably because of a little stumble near the beginning - the take they used isn't quite as good and only uses a half glass, as compared to the poetic smoky downing and payoffs of this take:

I reckon this take got dropped because he puts his hand up under the glass to catch drips. The burp really makes it though and he doesn't manage that in the take they used.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Oosp on March 22, 2024, 04:45:06 PM[whispers] I love the Mohel

QuoteJason Alexander, who is Jewish, considered the portrayal of the mohel to be offensive and hated the characterization. He argued with Larry David, threatening to boycott the episode if he did not rewrite the character. David softened the portrayal, but Alexander refused to appear in any scenes with the character.[2] Alexander ultimately does appear in the bris scene with the mohel character and even converses with him before passing out.

Hat fucked

thr0b

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 22, 2024, 05:10:53 PMHat fucked

Alexander was quite Actory on a few occasions. The commentary of that episode in Florida where Jerry and Elaine stay with Herry's parents, and Kramer and George don't appear - Jason relates that he told them if they ever did that again, he'd quit the show.

Twilkes

Quote from: thr0b on March 22, 2024, 05:15:49 PMAlexander was quite Actory on a few occasions. The commentary of that episode in Florida where Jerry and Elaine stay with Herry's parents, and Kramer and George don't appear - Jason relates that he told them if they ever did that again, he'd quit the show.

I thought that was fair - it's an ensemble cast, you don't leave Mike out of an episode of Spaced.

Alexander would probably have been happy returning to stage work, and at that time it's not like they were being paid megabucks, there was probably a bit of doubt whether they'd get a fourth series at that point.

poodlefaker

QuoteJason Alexander, who is Jewish, considered the portrayal of the mohel to be offensive and hated the characterization. He argued with Larry David, threatening to boycott the episode if he did not rewrite the character. David softened the portrayal, but Alexander refused to appear in any scenes with the character.[2] Alexander ultimately does appear in the bris scene with the mohel character and even converses with him before passing out.

For years I thought all the characters were Jewish, inc. George, his parents, Elaine and Kramer.

Quote from: thr0b on March 22, 2024, 05:15:49 PMAlexander was quite Actory on a few occasions. The commentary of that episode in Florida where Jerry and Elaine stay with Herry's parents, and Kramer and George don't appear - Jason relates that he told them if they ever did that again, he'd quit the show.

"You do realise I've still got McDonald's on speed-dial..."

Armin Meiwes

If I understood right Estelle was meant to be Jewish and of course Frank Italian but yeah Kramer and Elaine very much not.

I got into Seinfeld c2005 when UK Gold or similar were showing two episodes a night every day of the week, I remember it being on very late at night in the 90s but it never grabbed me at the time. It's now one of the shows I can just go back into at any time, George is an all time great sitcom character (maybe the greatest). Also Jason Alexander seems like a genuine lovely man (at least from his social media output).

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 22, 2024, 05:10:53 PMHat fucked

The Moehl stuff gets talked about in the latest episode of the This Podcast is Making me Thirsty which has Tom Robbins (Stan) as the guest https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/this-podcast-is-making-me-thirsty-the-seinfeld-podcast/id1509261864?i=1000649660309

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: HMS Beanspiller on March 22, 2024, 05:59:49 PMI got into Seinfeld c2005 when UK Gold or similar were showing two episodes a night every day of the week, I remember it being on very late at night in the 90s but it never grabbed me at the time. It's now one of the shows I can just go back into at any time, George is an all time great sitcom character (maybe the greatest). Also Jason Alexander seems like a genuine lovely man (at least from his social media output).

The Moehl stuff gets talked about in the latest episode of the This Podcast is Making me Thirsty which has Tom Robbins (Stan) as the guest https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/this-podcast-is-making-me-thirsty-the-seinfeld-podcast/id1509261864?i=1000649660309

Oh yeah I listen to that sometimes, you'd swear those guys actually hated Seinfeld with how much they dislike the broader (but still pretty funny) elements.

stranger

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on March 22, 2024, 01:25:18 PMYeah wtf! Elaine could not be any more integral to the whole thing!

Agreed, Elaine is a fantastic character.

I can't remember where I first saw this, possibly on this site, but every few months it pops back into my head

thr0b

Quote from: Twilkes on March 22, 2024, 05:38:16 PMI thought that was fair - it's an ensemble cast, you don't leave Mike out of an episode of Spaced

I'd disagree - there's nothing wrong with trying something different with the format. I think he came over a bit cuntish over it. Ditto the attitude he showed over the Susan actor. In fact, they all did over that.

(But generally yes, Jason Alexander is excellent.)

lazyhour

Quote from: Armin Meiwes on March 22, 2024, 05:57:52 PMIf I understood right Estelle was meant to be Jewish and of course Frank Italian but yeah Kramer and Elaine very much not.

Yeah, the Serenity Now episode has a great subplot about Elaine being a Shiksa - she has Shiksappeal.

I love that episode so much.

Kelvin

Love the show of course, but one thing I've realised in recent years; Jerry Seinfeld himself is funniest when he's not "performing" as a character, or on stage. The Jerry you see in interviews, or with friends, has an edge, and a bluntness, that I wish was pushed further in the show itself.

Barry Admin

Quote from: stranger on March 22, 2024, 06:28:40 PMAgreed, Elaine is a fantastic character.

I can't remember where I first saw this, possibly on this site, but every few months it pops back into my head

Nick Lutsko is excellent.

I caught Seinfeld on the telly, then vaguely remember tracking them all down on the early days of file sharing.  Gavin (who used to post here and was lovely) sent me the whole lot on disc at one point. 

Anyway yeah I love it, greatest TV comedy of all time, still great (in an odd and wacky way) even after Larry David left.