Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:07:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Decluttering

Started by tookish, March 17, 2024, 11:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tookish

A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with a mild-moderate hoarding disorder, and since then I've filled two skips and countless bin bags with broken and useless items, and sold over £5,000 worth of things, and given away probably a similar value.

Anyway, I'm interested in whether any of you have similar problems, or have done massive declutters. I found a lot of my friends had the same issue as me when I was finally open about it.

Fambo Number Mive

I'm really struggling with clutter. All the rooms in my house are a mess. The floors of my bedroom and spare rooms are covered in stuff. I'm really struggling to keep my house clean as well. I'm really embarresed about how dirty the house is. I need to do lots of things like get my gutters repaired and cleaned as well.

I'm trying to get rid of a few books a week and sometimes get rid of a bin bag's worth of rubbish but it's not making much of a difference. I should probably get a skip to be honest but I don't want people mucking about in it or with the items. It's all really affecting my mental health. I'm wondering about getting outside help - maybe a charity or a social worker.

I'm not sure if it's hoarding because I do throw things away on a regular basis, it's just more overwhelming clutter. I suppose I have hoarded books a bit and I struggle to get rid of old clothes, even ones that don't fit me any more. But I still have to buy new ones because I need new things to occupy my mind. I need to get rid of the books in my bookcase so I can display my Judge Dredd casefiles and Mega Collections.

imitationleather

I am sick and tired of, whenever I get a skip, waking up in the morning to find people mucking about in it.

oggyraiding

I have a couple hundred DVDs I've never watched, don't have the space to display them, no point selling them to CEX or similar because I'd get like 5p per DVD, and a some of the stuff is inappropriate for charity shops.

When I last moved I gave away a few dozen books I'd never read because I didn't have the space to display them.

I do that autistic "nesting", I like accumulating objects and keeping them in my special safe room, just acquiring random shit I'll never use because I like the idea of it existing in my room.

Also had a period where I'd put dirty plates in a bin bag and put them behind my wardrobe instead of taking them downstairs and washing them, then a year later when I'd move out the room I have bags of rotten crockery.

buttgammon

Books are a big problem here, because there are some that I'm genuinely likely to need in future, others that I probably can't sell or donate because one of my rabbits has eaten bits of them, and others that I would like to keep but don't have space for. I've been making an effort to buy fewer books and to get rid of older ones, but a sizeable amount of literary clutter remains.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: imitationleather on March 17, 2024, 11:18:44 AMI am sick and tired of, whenever I get a skip, waking up in the morning to find people mucking about in it.

I think for me its more being worried about people taking stuff out of it and throwing things around. Maybe I just need to put my big boy pants on and get one.

It's also trusting the company to dispose of the waste legally, otherwise I could get fined.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 17, 2024, 11:21:00 AMI think for me its more being worried about people taking stuff out of it and throwing things around. Maybe I just need to put my big boy pants on and get one.

It's also trusting the company to dispose of the waste legally, otherwise I could get fined.

Can you hire a van and take things straight to the dump yourself? I do that for a local community centre I'm involved in and it's quite satisfying throwing things into huge containers. The dudes that work there are friendly and helpful too so it's good vibes.

bgmnts

I'm just a severe depressive and not really a hoarder or anything but there is a constant internal struggle between wanting to be as free from possessions as possible, and yet still having loads of stuff built up due to importance on material possessions in this society.

Plus the place I live is extremely cluttered despite a relatively recent declutter.

I think a big issue is just how much of a ballache and cost it is to actually get rid of all the shit built up over the years.

Zetetic

Went into the garage at my mother's yesterday and now I hope I go first.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on March 17, 2024, 11:32:39 AMCan you hire a van and take things straight to the dump yourself? I do that for a local community centre I'm involved in and it's quite satisfying throwing things into huge containers. The dudes that work there are friendly and helpful too so it's good vibes.

Unfortunately I can't drive. Unless you can hire a van with a driver, I don't really know how these things work.

tookish

I sincerely recommend hiring a skip; they're legally obliged to recycle as much as possible and they deal with skips every day, so don't judge. I totally understand the fear and it hobbled my progress for some eight years - the idea of people seeing my rubbish, judging me, knowing I had a problem. Ultimately though, you have to focus on you. You deserve to be free of living in a cluttered, unsafe, and dirty home.

Getting rid of the items that bog you down is the first step and I can't emphasise enough how freeing it is. When they took my skip away I cried because my house looked so beautiful and clear.

In terms of the skip, putting a weighted tarpaulin on top will stop randos poking about, but not scrap men. To counter this, we contacted the local scrap men and gave them all our broken metal items - they were delighted and non-judgemental. After all, to them it was free money - and for us, it was not having to worry about waste.

Having a skip was two days of back-ache and stress, but it was so cathartic and worth doing.

Another important step is to release yourself from the idea that EVERYTHING in your house can be put to a new purpose. Some of it will be past it - bin it! Yes, even books, which can be pulped and repurposed. We sold, gave away, and recycled some 6000 books.

bgmnts

Quote from: Zetetic on March 17, 2024, 11:38:57 AMWent into the garage at my mother's yesterday and now I hope I go first.

I've had these thoughts for years, to my shame.

tookish

Quote from: bgmnts on March 17, 2024, 11:36:05 AMI'm just a severe depressive and not really a hoarder or anything but there is a constant internal struggle between wanting to be as free from possessions as possible, and yet still having loads of stuff built up due to importance on material possessions in this society.

Plus the place I live is extremely cluttered despite a relatively recent declutter.

I think a big issue is just how much of a ballache and cost it is to actually get rid of all the shit built up over the years.

It's horrible, and stressful, but it's worth it! If you ever want a hand, I'm an ex-cleaner and ex-hoarder, I never judge, but I do scrub a floor pretty well. And I'm good at skips.

tookish

Quote from: oggyraiding on March 17, 2024, 11:19:08 AMI have a couple hundred DVDs I've never watched, don't have the space to display them, no point selling them to CEX or similar because I'd get like 5p per DVD, and a some of the stuff is inappropriate for charity shops.

When I last moved I gave away a few dozen books I'd never read because I didn't have the space to display them.

I do that autistic "nesting", I like accumulating objects and keeping them in my special safe room, just acquiring random shit I'll never use because I like the idea of it existing in my room.

Also had a period where I'd put dirty plates in a bin bag and put them behind my wardrobe instead of taking them downstairs and washing them, then a year later when I'd move out the room I have bags of rotten crockery.

We used to have to hide our dirty crockery under blankets on the table. Really were living in a Bernard Black scenario. A table top dishwasher has helped.

bgmnts

Quote from: tookish on March 17, 2024, 11:50:30 AMIt's horrible, and stressful, but it's worth it! If you ever want a hand, I'm an ex-cleaner and ex-hoarder, I never judge, but I do scrub a floor pretty well. And I'm good at skips.

Nah it's not my place and not my responsibility so not much I can do regardless.

I just definitely empathise with that feeling of needing to declutter.

Sherringford Hovis

I'm just so fucking tired of the mountains of tools and bewildering cornucopia of consumable things like nails, screws, lumps of wood, geegaws, spare bits and pieces it takes to maintain a dwelling to even the barest minimum of not-quite-falling-down-ness.

Yeah, I know, boo hoo, poor me, first world problem, check your property-frotting privilege. But despite being a fairly practical sort who'll confidently have a go at most DIY tasks (except tiling, FUCK TILING IN THE EAR), the self-circulating pressure of keeping twelvty-hundred odds-and-sods organised enough to be usefully accessible and findable when needed is mentally eviscerating. Faced with the prospect of spending over an hour hunting for a jar that contains a handful of 70mm long 5mm girth screws the other day, I just fucked off down the local ironmongers and came back with a box of the twirly bastards in under 25 minutes.

Unsustainable behaviour. Doomed soon.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 17, 2024, 11:42:53 AMUnfortunately I can't drive. Unless you can hire a van with a driver, I don't really know how these things work.

Was also going to suggest hiring a van but wasn't sure if you were a driver - in which case ...

You will be able to hire Man With Van - and then some negotiation as to who chucks the stuff at the tip.

Dex Sawash

Had a major clearout of resto/repair project shit I wouldn't live long enough to ever fix in 2018 as we prepped for downsizing move. Have same tool/material problem as Hovis. Have had to run buy a second tool/bucket of fasteners as the first was unlocateable when needed. Meant to start on garage re-org this morning but beginning is difficult.

flotemysost

Not a hoarder, but I do have a tendency to put things down and immediately forget they ever existed. Which means I've left countless toothbrushes and the like languishing in hotel bathrooms across the land over the years, but also when I'm at home I need to really force myself to put things away rather than just down (or that other classic, "I'll do it later" NO YOU WON'T. COME ON.)

Luckily my flatmates are both of a similar brand of forgetfulness, which means there's a reassuring level of mild disorganisation around the place - not properly messy or unclean, but I don't feel I'm being judged for the ever-growing post graveyard (all mine) on the hallway table, much as I'm OK with the occasional mug amnesty by the sink.

I have mates who're very into selling stuff on eBay/Vinted/Depop etc. but unless you're prepared to invest the effort into setting up the listing, taking photos, responding to messages etc. I find it a massive faff - definitely not just a quick way to rid yourself of stuff you don't want. Managed to sell some bits a few years ago, though characteristically I kept on forgetting to post the items to the (increasingly antsy) customers.

Freecycle seems decent for getting rid of things, and in many cases the recipient is happy to pick it up, though obviously you won't get any dollar for it. One of my friends reluctantly needed rid of cheap-ish drumkit a few years ago after a move; I suggested Freecycle (as they weren't arsed about money, they just didn't have any space for it) and within minutes of putting up the ad they were inundated with messages - it ended up going to a local youth centre, which was nice.

Jockice

I like clutter. It doesn't bother me at all. People don't tend to believe this but I'm more or less oblivious to my environment. My idea of hell - which many people over the years have suggested would be 'better' and 'easier' for me - is a living room with three things in it, all of which have to be in the same place at all times.

A couple of years ago, three old friends of mine decided they'd come round and chuck stuff out.  I let them do it but there were several parts of their visit when I could have quite easily murdered them. Especially when one of them decided my clothes should be stored in a place it was practically impossible for me to reach. They're mostly back where they belong now. Where I can get them. And all the stuff they put on the big table to sort through is still on the big table, resolutely unsorted. Because I don't care. I really don't and I don't even try to pretend I do anymore.

I do have a cleaner who comes round incidentally. She (unlike my previous cleaner who stormed off in tears when I told her I didn't think the place needed recarpeting) leaves things where they are unless I specifically tell her otherwise.

Sebastian Cobb

if you don't want or don't have enogh waste for a skip check out hippo bags.

cheesebot

Definite horder here.

At the beginning of the year, the bill for the storage place/shrine to hobbies past that I rent went up significantly. I got a quote for a room with half the floor area and realised I could save over a hundred a month if I got rid of stuff and switched. It took about a week of daily trips to the charity shops/tip (a lot of books dvds and games). I was pretty brutal, but unfortunately there was a little regret at the end when I managed to pack the new room much more efficiently and had space left over, so I could have been a little less brutal. I was very good in terms of re-discovering and taking stuff back to the house too.

Also managed to declutter my monthly subscriptions to websites/services etc. to the tune of £80/month.

Glebe

My sleeping area is an absolute fucking disaster. When I feel able it's time for a major spring clean.

madhair60

one man's clutter is another man's... erm... butter

Dex Sawash

Quote from: madhair60 on March 17, 2024, 03:38:49 PMone man's clutter is another man's... erm... butter

Hiya Bernardo Bertilucci mate

thenoise

I don't think i am a hoarder. I've a lot of stuff (books dvds mags music etc) but it's all enjoyed. I might not actively watch/read/listen to it all again in my life, but I enjoy it being there. Mainly in boxes in the garage, admittedly.
I do quite like things with numbers on. And I like collections to be 'complete', although I never get close. Hmm...

Memorex MP3

Fucked up a house move and abandoned a ton of shite there at the end of the lease. Was charged £60 for it; relative to the relief of no longer having that shite I feel great about it tbh.

Currently selling off stuff; my main hoarding problems seem to be:
- buying extremely niche tech that's of almost no value but will be a nightmare to find again
- getting weirdly sucked up into collecting small sets of people. e.g. I have a full modular set of Moto Z mods, it's pretty cool having those gadgets with such a small form factor but they serve basically no use
- buying backups of things, and backups of the backups. e.g. do I really need to have 4 backups for my Sandisk MP3 player when the current one I have is still working 8 years on
- things I've just decided will be cool gifts and then stockpile to give away to people on birthdays/christmases
- boxes: keep the packaging of fucking everything, monitor boxes hanging around doing fuck all

Very happy I never built up much of a book/music/film library since I left home. I really don't grasp what people who are renting get from keeping hundreds of books around other than the misery of having to move them all every few years.
It's perhaps a bit unfair to judge hoarding on different levels depending on whether you own your home, but I can't help but think about the grief of moving it all and then having months of it hanging around in boxes.

Emma Raducanu

When I lived alone, my place was a fucking mess. My landlord, who I got on well with, bollocked me a few times about it. I took a photograph of the place once for no reason.

Years later and being a family man, I am chief in charge of maintaining the house. I can't stand things not being in their place. It slows down the hoovering and polishing. I'm not quite a tidiness freak but close and this extends to our garden which requires a lot of time to maintain.

I found the old photograph on a disused hard drive a while ago and couldn't believe how I used to live when I was alone. It was fucking mental and totally alien.

madhair60

your future-uhhhh, oour clutter-uhhhhh (leaves stage for six minutes)

I wish I was a hoarder because (at least according to this documentary I saw) hoarders tend to be quite organised and keep all of their old newspapers, used tissues, receipts for dowel rods, shit smeared lottery tickets, expired Ladbrokes loyalty cards, etc, in stacked piles so there is some access between them.

Meanwhile, I currently sit in a room surrounded by the decaying corpses of glis glis, piles of clothes which either don't fit me or fit me too much, bottles housing fungus, sentient crockery, a cemetery of tea cups, acres of wires that go nowhere and connect to nothing, and a single mattress struggling somewhere underneath it all.

In short, I don't live in clutter, I am clutter.