Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:05:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RHLSTP Revived

Started by Tony Tony Tony, February 08, 2023, 10:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proactive

It doesn't, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I'd have expected. Fucking bizarre bit with the emergency questions as well!

Quadrospazzed

Is that... Joe Pasquale? on the Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre Podcast? What could he possibly want?

Richard's really scraping the very corners of the bottom of the barrel now.

Mobbd

Quote from: Quadrospazzed on March 20, 2024, 10:53:48 PMRichard's really scraping the very corners of the bottom of the barrel now.

Oh, I don't know about that. Pasquale's obviously not to the taste of us smart alec comedy fans but he deserves to speak (squeakily) and we can probably learn something from this sort of thing. I somewhat enjoyed Rich's talks with Paul Chuckle, Les Dennis and Jimmy Cricket.

I might even go to that new end-of-the-pier-type museum in Blackpool. I don't want to sit through that sort of comedy but there's something interesting about it.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/mar/12/showtown-playful-museum-celebrates-blackpools-heritage

There's a documentary about Ken Dodd (just called Ken Dodd's Happiness) that I really like.
(Wow, it's watchable now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0074prh)

Plus, with Pasquale, we really might get a confrontation over (or response to) the Stewart Lee bit. I would hope and assume Rich has the courage to bring it up. (Haven't listened yet).

Marv Orange

Quite enjoyed the Pasquale one, he has entertaining stories and an interesting career path, seemed to be a fan of Richards and put some thought in to the emergency questions, thumbs up from me

Snrub

I quite like it when Richard has comedians on from another era, or circle to him that don't do the podcast circuit. Those are the ones he clearly puts more effort into.

I'm not claiming it's scraping the barrel, but it's better than having Ed Gamble on for the umpteenth time having another variation on the same type of conversation he's been having with him for over a decade. Nothing against Ed (I actually enjoyed the conversation with him last week) I think a few RHLSTP guests fall in that bracket.

Proactive

Quote from: Marv Orange on March 22, 2024, 12:03:03 AMQuite enjoyed the Pasquale one, he has entertaining stories and an interesting career path, seemed to be a fan of Richards and put some thought in to the emergency questions, thumbs up from me

It made me think that if he was telling those stories to his own fan base they'd be absolutely rapt.

frajer

I enjoyed the Pasquale one too.

Nothing amazing but as mentioned above it's genuinely nice to see a podcast guest and go "oh, I've not really heard them on a podcast" instead of "oh, they're back on again? What have they got to promote now?"

I liked it too, he was on the verge of turning it into his one man show but they pulled it back. You can tell Rich had fun as well, he wasn't even bothered about his emergency questions but Pasquale insisted as he had a prepared answer for one. Good fun, glad I didn't skip it

lauraxsynthesis

Sawalha on Wednesday. I guess that's just the audio at this stage? Some fun in the thread here

https://x.com/herring1967/status/1771953525326565469?s=46&t=jrp191Bmzx6HIxZPa0LSig

Twilkes

Some Ab Fab Sawalha action on Youtube:

madhair60

that link doesn't seem to work, just downloads a file that i then can't play... virus???

Magnum Valentino

Do full video recordings for these exist any more? Would really love to watch this rather than listen to it, if possible.

Twilkes

Possibly need to be a member on his site to get the videos, looks like there will be one with Julia, but future shows will either not be videoed or just single camera.

Des Wigwam

Has he stuck with the anxiety inducing hand held mic setup? Feel itchy just thinking about it.

Mobbd

Quote from: Des Wigwam on March 27, 2024, 07:03:19 PMHas he stuck with the anxiety inducing hand held mic setup? Feel itchy just thinking about it.

Symbol of stand-up! I know what you mean though. Be nicer to control things a bit better.

Mobbd

That was a lot of fun. Nice to see how fond of each other they still are. Cute.

I'm starting to think Rich might be an ok guy in real life, he got a great character reference here, right down to her nickname for him.

Hearing Julia's side of certain stories was hilarious, bits that Rich had obsessed over that she couldn't even remember and the goings on behind the scenes of Time Gentlemen Please. I'd only ever heard about what a great job Rich did to write the thing (though he doesn't like to mention it) so it was interesting (and funny) to hear the cast were always plastered and getting into trouble.

I don't want to mention any details as it's a must-listen for anyone with even a passing interest in RHLSTP.

Des Wigwam

I have a vague memory of Time Gentlemen Please being on when I rolled in from the pub or accidentally clicked onto it while creating a facsimile of the pub in my living room.

Is it fondly remembered? A turn of the century novelty? Both/neither?

Can't remember if the Pub Landlord was born out of this or incorporated into it - or if it's complete coincidence.

Mobbd

Quote from: PaoloTramezzani on March 28, 2024, 09:39:37 AMthe goings on behind the scenes of Time Gentlemen Please

I was a little taken aback by how she

Spoiler alert
physically drunkenly fights with Phil Daniels in a stairwell.
[close]
It was a different time!

Great stories though, seriously. And, yes, I do think Rich must have acted well.

Mobbd

Quote from: Des Wigwam on March 28, 2024, 10:25:41 AMIs it fondly remembered? A turn of the century novelty? Both/neither?

I sometimes think about revisiting it, maybe even as a watch-along for CaB, but tbh I think it's a bit weak. It feels really hammered out, which of course it was. Great cast though and it always looked like they were having fun.

Surprisingly filthy sometimes! "There's a party in my hair and everyone's invited."

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Mobbd on March 28, 2024, 10:30:25 AMI sometimes think about revisiting it, maybe even as a watch-along for CaB, but tbh I think it's a bit weak. It feels really hammered out, which of course it was. Great cast though and it always looked like they were having fun.

Surprisingly filthy sometimes! "There's a party in my hair and everyone's invited."

Yes bit weak is my memory of it, and quite stagey - but then whole episodes of Frasier are arguably people going in one door and out of another.

Will do a bit of revision before I come back and champion the idea of a watchalong - but sounds good in principle.

dontpaintyourteeth

Bit weird when she starts going off on one about cancel culture and "woke"

Steve Faeces

That bit soured the episode for me. Don't entirely get and find quite tedious this preoccupation with cancel culture and wokeness that some comedians of a certain age have now. I haven't watched Ab Fab in a while but I can't pin down what would be especially jarring or lead to a cancelling in the show.

Mobbd

Quote from: Steve Faeces on March 28, 2024, 12:58:56 PMThat bit soured the episode for me. Don't entirely get and find quite tedious this preoccupation with cancel culture and wokeness that some comedians of a certain age have now. I haven't watched Ab Fab in a while but I can't pin down what would be especially jarring or lead to a cancelling in the show.

Yes, that wasn't great. She was teetering on the edge of bananas for a second there.

lauraxsynthesis

I've never heard anything cancellable about Rich. On the contrary, even his on tour one night stands back in his single day had positive feedback. He can be grumpy and chippy, and he did block me on twitter for implying he was a melt re Corbyn, but I've never heard anything actually negative about him.

I agree the Sawalha interview was adorkable. Amazing he resisted mentioning Keith Allen, though presumably that's who he was hoping the nickname "Psychopath" would be about. Great to hear more about their relationship. I was surprised they were both so open and there was some romantic and sweet stuff. All the times he's mentioned their relationship in the past, I don't think Rich had ever indicated it was him who ended it. As Julia said, he was a gentleman. He comes across as very protective of her even now and it was terrific he went to bat for her re the Chicken Run recasting. I hope she becomes a regular guest.

Anyone who was there - has anything been cut?

Stinky Lomax

Quote from: Des Wigwam on March 28, 2024, 10:25:41 AMCan't remember if the Pub Landlord was born out of this or incorporated into it - or if it's complete coincidence.

The Pub Landlord was an existing character from Murray's stand-up, and this sitcom was written specifically for him. Although as I understand it, they referred to the sitcom character as Guv and never explicitly confirmed it was the same character, so that Murray could continue doing the stand-up without any rights issues.

RicoMNKN

The cancel culture / woke bit was especially weird considering her also mentioning using social media to call out sexism and ageism... which is essentially all it is in most cases.

Mobbd

She's bonkers and it's fine.

I really enjoyed the line:

"(us getting together) was like a Richard Curtis film.....in that it was shit and disrespectful to women"