Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:43:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars: Rogue One

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 07, 2016, 01:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: momatt on June 01, 2016, 03:42:00 PM
Apart from those three prequels.

Isn't the point to ignore those?

momatt

Maybe.  Or maybe it's the closest in that it's chronologically closer.
Stupid sentence either way.

Blumf

phantom_power

Why do you have to match the tone? Does the whole Star Wars universe have the same feel? Does every character and life story have to have the requisite blend of action and wit? Does the SW version of the slums play out the same as in the mansions? What a fucking stupid thing to say. Why can't studios learn to keep the fuck out of artistic endeavor?

Replies From View

Quote from: phantom_power on June 01, 2016, 05:40:12 PM
Why do you have to match the tone?

Too scared to try anything different?

Kelvin

Why do you have to match the tone? Does the whole Star Wars universe have the same feel? Does every character and life story have to have the requisite blend of action and wit?

Because it's worked for their Marvel universe and no-one seems bored of that yet. Play safe, keep churning out films that look and sound the same. So long as it stays suitably inoffensive and entertaining, you'll never have to take any risks.

Alberon

One article I read earlier, but can't find now, said the reshoots were to add a 'significant cameo' to the film. Apparently not more Vader, but
Spoiler alert
Han Solo, possibly played by a CGI de-aged Harrison Ford.
[close]

Glebe

Quote from: Alberon on June 01, 2016, 10:52:26 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

NO. Just NO.

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on June 01, 2016, 10:54:02 PM
NO. Just NO.

Relax.  You'd be astonished by what computers can achieve these days.  They can make "Dulux" adverts where it looks like the dog is talking, and everything along those lines.

Hollow

Quote from: Glebe on June 01, 2016, 10:54:02 PM
NO. Just NO.

Relax, just think Jeff Bridges in Tron 2 or Michael Douglas in Antman, they were amazing and not at all creepy and deathlike.

Replies From View

Relax, just think of Woody Allen in Antz.

Hollow

Quote from: Replies From View on June 02, 2016, 12:00:41 AM
Relax, just think of Woody Allen in Antz.

He prefers neices to antz.

Paedo joke innit?

Cos Woody Allen.

Never mind...

If they must do this they should maybe have
Spoiler alert
the young guy from the upcoming Han Solo prequel film.
[close]

Alberon

Would that work though given this film ends about ten minutes before A New Hope?

momatt

Why do you have to match the tone? Does the whole Star Wars universe have the same feel?

No, not really[nb]Freemaker Adventures is a new one on me.  Disney are really milking it.[/nb].

The Force Awakens was Ford's last big payday/retirement fund. Even with Star Wars money I don't think they'll be able to tempt him back for piecemeal cameos in spin-off films.

So they'll have to go Arnie in Terminator Salvation style.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: thecuriousorange on June 02, 2016, 02:53:08 PM
The Force Awakens was Ford's last big payday/retirement fund. Even with Star Wars money I don't think they'll be able to tempt him back for piecemeal cameos in spin-off films.

So they'll have to go Arnie in Terminator Salvation style.

Ford wil be starring in another Indiana Jones film, so TFA certainly isn't the final big payday.

Alberon

And he's doing the unnecessary Blade Runner sequel.

Replies From View

Another I'm too old for this shit Indiana Jones codger film? Well Stallone did Rocky VII[nb]Adrien's Revenge[/nb] and even got an Oscar nod. That still shouldn't encourage this.

Glebe

mothman

On the one hand it's good I suppose that they're blaming the script and not the direction. On the other, that means that they could well be aiming for a massive shift in tone. Problems in pacing and structure can often be solved in the editing suite; this sounds alarmingly like the initial cut wasn't remotely Disneylike enough...

MojoJojo

Quote from: Glebe on June 03, 2016, 04:44:50 AM
How extensive will the Rogue One reshoots be?

40%?!?

It depends a lot on what bits though. A large amount of the budget will have gone on just a few big scenes - most of the runtime will be a lot cheaper, so reshooting that isn't such a big deal.

Mister Six

McQuarrie has rubbished the claims, says SlashFilm:

QuoteIf there are any reshoots on Rogue One, I'm not supervising them. For any outlet to say so is not only wrong, it's irresponsible. Gareth Edwards is a talented filmmaker who deserves the benefit of the doubt. Making a film – let alone a Star Wars chapter – is hard enough without the internet trying to deliberately downgrade one's years of hard work. Who does that even serve? Let him make his movie in peace.

McQuarrie's also made a series of bitchy denials on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/chrismcquarrie/status/738536269928669184
https://twitter.com/chrismcquarrie/status/738620059870887941
https://twitter.com/chrismcquarrie/status/738624134884659200
https://twitter.com/chrismcquarrie/status/738640309194792960

Bear in mind that reshoots are par for the course on big-budget Hollywood movies these days.

Also bear in mind that the story began with Page Six, the shifty ents section of tabloid rag The New York Post.

Think of it like The Sun and its Doctor Who news: sometimes very right, often just making up any old shit to fill pages and get clicks.

Thursday

Aye this now says that all the stuff about "40% of the film" and "making it more lighthearted" is all complete bullshit

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/rogue-one-reshoots

Hmm I I suppose looking back at this article http://pagesix.com/2016/05/30/disney-execs-in-a-panic-over-upcoming-star-wars-film/ all they're going on is "one Hollywood source" Which could be literally anyone.

Catalogue Trousers

This'll be shit, I reckon. Not because of a female lead character. Not, possibly because of an unnecessary and embarrassing Han Solo cameo.

But because it's a Star Wars prequel. History cannot be denied.

gloria

Quote from: Alberon on June 01, 2016, 10:52:26 PM
One article I read earlier, but can't find now, said the reshoots were to add a 'significant cameo' to the film. Apparently not more Vader, but
Spoiler alert
[close]

"Possibly"! i.e. almost certainly not but it makes this lame-ass story a bit more exciting.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 04, 2016, 03:10:53 PM
This'll be shit, I reckon. Not because of a female lead character. Not, possibly because of an unnecessary and embarrassing Han Solo cameo.

But because it's a Star Wars prequel. History cannot be denied.
It is a prequel set in proper Star Wars times at least. With a director that might not be inept (although Godzilla was mostly crap).

Glebe