Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2017/18

Started by Gurke and Hare, June 20, 2017, 10:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuteBanana

Quote from: imitationleather on July 07, 2017, 12:02:39 PM
My fucking God If KR Reykjavik had lost yesterday I would have won £1,059 on a ten-game accumulator that I picked at total random.

It is true what the seasoned gamblers say. Accas are for complete and utter mugs. Still going to go and spend £1,059 on some shite like I won, though. I mean, I pretty much did.

Odds are better than the lottery and for the same price as a ticket you can win big.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Shay Chaise on July 08, 2017, 12:17:01 PM
You're quite a combative chap. Have a qamomile tea.

I'm really not. Any aggression inferred from the question was entirely unintended.

Given we have a number of other targets and FFP dictates that resources/spending are finite, I wouldn't like to allocate that much because it would limit our other options.

Meh, FFPs dead in the water isn't it? All the clubs spending oil money seem to be entirely unaffected by it. Can you owner not just draw up an obviously phoney sponsorship deal?

Shay Chaise

Hopefully, yeah. That's quite a smart move. Everton have lacked a bit of financial nous forever and we always seem to miss out on players we target. This window has been very good in that respect. Do the business. Even with Lukaku, we've got a damn good deal for him, supposedly a world record deal when all is added up.

To go back to your previous point though, if money is no object, I couldn't care less about spending it. VvD, Siggy and Giroud would do very nicely. And even if we get nobody else, I think it's been a damn good summer.

finnquark

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 08, 2017, 10:10:39 AM
Tell me what's happening at your lower league club, as I tend to get a bit bored of the neverending Premier League transfer sagas.

New manager and 11 new signings. Phil Parkinson is the new man, joined from Nantwich who we now remarkably find in the same league as us. We've signed some decent stuff from the Conference North (especially pleased with Poole from Salford), and Parkinson has brought a solid centre half from Nantwich (Harrison). Ultimately I think our fans sort of don't give a shit at this point. The size of the club, the set up, the wages, etc. mean that anything other than promotion from the Evo Stik North at the first attempt is a car crash of a season. In fact if we don't go up, I'd be tempted to flog the ground to developers so it can be put to good use - affordable homes or a bowling alley.

The club's a joke, with the chairman promising big new developments in order to placate protests at the back end of last season. Some lads went to a meeting with him, where he made several promises, none of which have any concrete meaning and have resulted in the club openly advertising for investment. This is a good thing but I was under the impression something more concrete was in the pipeline. Regardless, there are numerous people (including myself) staying away from home games until the chairman has left - he's a good community man but what he knows about football can be written on the back of a fag packet.

When we finished last season with a temporary manager in charge, he was interviewed but didn't get the permanent job. This was more than justified as he was a joke, with an appalling record. He took to Twitter, activating a small army of friends to lambast the club and the choice of manager. In the end, we chose a good up-and-coming guy, and I think Parkinson will basically get us up and have us competing in the Conference North soon. But this doesn't wash away the absolute disgrace that the club's leadership, management and players have been over the past two seasons. A lot of players have left the club, and only two (Clee and Reeves) were players anyone gave a toss about - the rest of them were absolute shithouses who were stealing a wage.

What happened till the "Green and Gold till the club is sold" mobb at United. Died down when they got back to winning shit.

The Duck Man

Quote from: finnquark on July 08, 2017, 04:32:09 PMA lot of players have left the club, and only two (Clee and Reeves) were players anyone gave a toss about - the rest of them were absolute shithouses who were stealing a wage.
One of the last times I went on the Alty website, they were saying Nicky Clee was an arch-traitor and they planned to hang him above the door of Altrincham market. I take it the fans don't feel the same as the club management?

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: funtimefrankie on July 08, 2017, 06:55:50 PM
What happened till the "Green and Gold till the club is sold" mobb at United. Died down when they got back to winning shit.

What's interesting (as an insight into the mindset of the modern football supporter) is the protests died down when they started to spend money on players again rather than winning things.

chand

The hardcore anti-Glazer protesters mostly either went to FCUM or boycotted Old Trafford. After the first season many didn't renew their season tickets. There's a limit to the value of protesting if you're still paying £1k a year or whatever into the club, so the hardcore stopped going.

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on July 08, 2017, 11:47:20 PM
What's interesting (as an insight into the mindset of the modern football supporter) is the protests died down when they started to spend money on players again rather than winning things.

A large element of the protest was about the financial effect of the Glazers' leveraged buyout on the club. There were concerns that the additional debt would impact on our ability to invest in players, and for a couple of years our transfer dealings did little to quell those fears. So that's not a particularly surprising revelation.

hewantstolurkatad

Lukaku for 90 seems a safer bet to me than 52 for Lacazzette. A completely proven quantity in the league with years and years left in the tank, with United's resources behind him he's surely pretty much guaranteed ~30 league goal seasons?

finnquark

Quote from: The Duck Man on July 08, 2017, 11:22:57 PM
One of the last times I went on the Alty website, they were saying Nicky Clee was an arch-traitor and they planned to hang him above the door of Altrincham market. I take it the fans don't feel the same as the club management?

You have to remember that about five people post on the forum. Clee agreed a year with us, then got an offer from Bradford Park Avenue - a league higher, and closer to home and family. He was a good servant to the club, and now he's knackered, so I and many others have no objection to him going. The outrage merchants on the forum are almost as toxic as the club hierarchy. A small minority of them are partly responsible for our last decent manager quitting.

The Duck Man

Oh, there's a forum? I was referring to this statement:

QuoteThe 33-year old winger (left) rejoined Alty last December from Harrogate Town after signing a contract that was due to run until the end of next season. But his second spell at The J.Davidson Stadium has been cut short after he approached the club and asked to leave.

Though bitterly disappointed by his stance, club officials concluded there was little point keeping a player whose focus was not on helping an Alty promotion push next season and reluctantly granted his request.

A release form has been signed and sent to the FA, leaving Huddersfield-born Clee, who was not retained by then-manager Neil Young last May and had spells at Guiseley and Harrogate before rejoining Alty, free to play for another club.

Alty chairman Grahame Rowley commented, 'I have to say I am extremely disappointed in Nicky's actions. He was very keen to return to the club midway through last season, and willingly signed an 18-month contract. To now renege on that saddens me, but we only want players who are 100% committed to the cause for next season. If Nicky's commitment is away from Altrincham FC, then so be it.

I must also say I am extremely disappointed that another club has approached a contracted player, offered him terms and thus encouraged Nicky to take this course of action. It's not how things should be done, but good luck to him for the future.'"

Who is your last decent manager, btw? I thought you might be referring to Sinnott, but then I think they got rid of him...

imitationleather

Anyone else watching the Gold Cup? Proving a godsend for my current insomnia, and it's interesting to see that countries I previously only knew of from Banged Up Abroad have football teams.

finnquark

Quote from: The Duck Man on July 09, 2017, 12:13:38 PM
Oh, there's a forum? I was referring to this statement:

Who is your last decent manager, btw? I thought you might be referring to Sinnott, but then I think they got rid of him...

Sinnott quit because:

(a) He was fed up with a lack of backing from the board.
(b) He was fed up with the commute from Hull.
(c) He realised things were going tits up.
(d) Some fans took against him from the moment he was appointed, slagging him for going on a pre-booked holiday in our first pre-season under him. This folly was made worse by his not wearing a suit at games - cardinal sin. And when he signed his son Jordan, that was the final nail (despite Jordan now playing in the Football League because he was a decent player).

BlodwynPig

I'm yet again tipping your team for promotion ;)

Squink

Everton's spending spree feels very "Tottenham Bale money" to me. Not sure a whole lot of quality is coming in.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Squink on July 09, 2017, 02:49:30 PM
Everton's spending spree feels very "Tottenham Bale money" to me. Not sure a whole lot of quality is coming in.

Pickford's meant to be alright isn't he? Papers were talking about Michael Keane returning to United at one point. I don't think I know the others.

Still not sure Rooney will work out for them. If he stinks up the place its going to end his career in England on a sour note. Should've just gone straight to America and hooked up with Beckhams and Ramsays. Colleen would love it.

BlodwynPig

Preddos:

Everton fighting a relegation battle with only themselves from January after King Roon is seen pissing on Howard Kendall's memorial plaque sparking unrest amongst the players

Tottenham finish first and a half, pipped by a resurgent Liverpool who sign the ghosts of players past (Suarez, Rush, Torres,...Aqualani) overseen as new managerial pairing Stevie G and Micky O, whose new Anfield rap gets to No.1 in August.

Shoulders hails Newcastle's 17th position as a magnificent achievement for new boss Steve Bruce, who replaces Benitez half way into the final game of the season.

Mr Brightside

Hull Rovers nailed on for the Premier Shield

Captain Z

Rooney will score 4 goals in his first 2 games which is enough to convince the masses he is back for long enough to captain England to a last-16 defeat to Ghana in next year's world cup.

chand

Quote from: MuteBanana on July 09, 2017, 07:37:04 PM
Pickford's meant to be alright isn't he? Papers were talking about Michael Keane returning to United at one point. I don't think I know the others.

Still not sure Rooney will work out for them. If he stinks up the place its going to end his career in England on a sour note. Should've just gone straight to America and hooked up with Beckhams and Ramsays. Colleen would love it.

Keane and Pickford are good signings, even with money there's a limit to what Everton can do in the transfer market.

Think Rooney has a better chance of ending his English league career on a high note at Everton, he'll still have time to do America if it doesn't work out this year. He's been in decline for a long time, most noticeably since Ferguson left but it was obvious enough last season that his time at the top was over.

im barry bethel

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on July 09, 2017, 09:19:38 AM
Lukaku for 90 seems a safer bet to me than 52 for Lacazzette. A completely proven quantity in the league with years and years left in the tank, with United's resources behind him he's surely pretty much guaranteed ~30 league goal seasons?

Panic buys the pair of them, and not even the first choice panic buy either

phantom_power

How can it be a panic buy in July?

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: Squink on July 09, 2017, 02:49:30 PM

Aye.  Goalkeeper and centre-back from relegated-threatened teams, lightweight attacking midfielder playing abroad for the first time, lightweight striker playing abroad for the first time, and post-retirement Wayne Rooney.  None of the signings stand out as being particularly shrewd.

chand

Quote from: im barry bethel on July 10, 2017, 12:28:40 AM
Panic buys the pair of them, and not even the first choice panic buy either

Lukaku was apparently first choice for United from what I've heard.

weekender

Lukaku can not, under any circumstances, be considered a "panic buy", that's just ridiculous.

Mr Brightside

Lukaku is going to do loads of goals

phantom_power

Funny that Chelsea appear to be after Morata now, and because they won't sell Matic to United, the are trying to hijack the Bakayoko deal as well.

I thought it was odd that Chelsea were upgrading and United were going for the offcut rather than going for the better player

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: phantom_power on July 10, 2017, 11:22:15 PM
Funny that Chelsea appear to be after Morata now, and because they won't sell Matic to United, the are trying to hijack the Bakayoko deal as well.

I thought it was odd that Chelsea were upgrading and United were going for the offcut rather than going for the better player

I'd rather have Matic than Bakayoko myself. Premier League experience, and he's won it twice in 3 years. Also I've not been especially impressed by Bakayoko in the (admittedly small number of) games I've seen him in.

Norton Canes

After Blackburn '95 and Newcastle '96, I hoped this would be the next epochal Premiership event on Squires' 'summer break history recap' list...

David Squires on... Arsenal's Invincibles of 2003-04

CLANG. CLANG. CLANG. CLANG.