Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:57:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Janey Godley, Scottish Neoliberal Party jester!

Started by Rizla, September 08, 2021, 05:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Voice of the people and rib-tickler par excellence mucks in on behalf of us scots, with her couthy, whae's-like-us take on the PSA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lTf-JHqIy8

After a healthy squirt of bleach in the eyeballs and inserting a 18" kebab skewer into either ear, I opined to the missus that I reckoned she'll have trousered a decent fee for this work. 5, or maybe 8 grand.

Turns out she got paid 12. 12 cunting grand (and a car to the studio and back I'll wager) to sit in front of a camera and do that. An hour's work, tops?

This Is Scotland. This is what they sell back to us, the mirror they hold up to us.

https://youtu.be/f85KpnxCYks

The Welsh don't have to cope with this endless psychic assault do they?

HELP MA BOAB.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nationalist poetry is always full Stan Marsh cringeface

Fambo Number Mive

I see the comments are turned off on Youtube.

To be honest it might get covid measures into people's minds the same that annoying adverts get brands into people's minds.

We could do with one for England. Who would be best for that? Michael McIntyre?

"Mask drawer! Do you have a mask drawer?"

Sebastian Cobb

Gonna need to see figures on how many shitmunchers listen to it and how much that saves the NHS before I decide it's properly bad.

Nice bit of bunsen though.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 08, 2021, 05:21:18 PM
We could do with one for England. Who would be best for that? Michael McIntyre?

Not sure we have any pro ruling party comics do we? Even the rightwing ones seem to hate the government (but for different reasons than you)

ProvanFan

I'd want considerably more than 12 grand for that.

PlanktonSideburns

Fambo Number Mive

If I was Prime Minister, anyone who breached COVID rules would be made to watch that Janet Godley video on a loop for three hours.

Dusty Substance

I've never understood the Janey Godley thing. Every now and again I'll see a bunch of my friends on Fakebook falling over themselves to share her latest video and to give her praise, but she's not witty, clever or funny in the slightest. Calling Trump a cunt is hardly cutting edge humour.

Don't really know the ins and outs of today's "controversy"  regarding the COVID informercial thing. Should *any* comedian ever really partake in anything for any government?

And, yeah, twelve grand is a lot - She could just donate it to an NHS charity.

As much as I don't like her, I do hope she's not being inundated by sanctimonious pricks on Twitter.

idunnosomename

Shes getting cancelled for tweets she made a decade ago with "spazzy" in them. By people who cant abide cancel culture of course

Bronzy

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 08, 2021, 05:54:49 PM
I've never understood the Janey Godley thing. Every now and again I'll see a bunch of my friends on Fakebook falling over themselves to share her latest video and to give her praise, but she's not witty, clever or funny in the slightest. Calling Trump a cunt is hardly cutting edge humour.

Don't really know the ins and outs of today's "controversy"  regarding the COVID informercial thing. Should *any* comedian ever really partake in anything for any government?

And, yeah, twelve grand is a lot - She could just donate it to an NHS charity.

As much as I don't like her, I do hope she's not being inundated by sanctimonious pricks on Twitter.

I think it's more to do with some pretty bad tweets from her now coming out of the woodwork.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/janey-godley-historic-tweets-apology-102251886.html

Additionally, there are stories of rather suspicious social media accounts sending abuse to people who criticise her. She also has the Gervaisian habit of organising Twitter pile-ons.

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1435624339685134340?s=20

There's also the fact she's possibly the least talented person I think I've ever seen.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Bronzy on September 08, 2021, 06:28:23 PM
There's also the fact she's possibly the least talented person I think I've ever seen.

I don't really pay attention to her but I did see her churlishly being used as a punchline in a joke about patter theft, stealing a joke from an anonymous tweet after it gets reported on and featured in Glasgow Live.

Cuellar

Malcy

Rizla

She's the living embodiment of Holyrood's only idea of how to communicate with the people. An endless sewer-spray of couthiness, a patronising highland doll squirmy "biscuit-ersed" shortbread tin tongue in cheek Rabbie-Burns-in-wayfarers earnest smugathon. Them and BBC "hahahahahaha" Scotland. I can't take it any more.

This sort of shit. "Gie's Peace". No naw, "gie's" a country that doesn't have the worst drugs death rate in europe and child poverty statistics that'd make a tory blush, you clueless technocratic fucking centrist lying moneyspunking cunts.

Rizla

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 08, 2021, 05:54:49 PM
Should *any* comedian ever really partake in anything for any government?

With the cosy, one-party state we enjoy up here, it's important as an artist to obtain "the nod from Nicola", so as to enjoy an endless free lunch of Creative Scotland arts funding and social media endorsement.

Nary a dissenting voice is heard in our (own, our very own!) media channels. There has been zero artistic response, either way, to the seismological shifts in scottish political and civic life in the last decade, other than the sound of one back slapping itself.

It is extremely fucked up and not normal. If I were to go out right now and graffiti the words "Boris Johnson is a Jobby" on a flyover, it would be a news story. It would remain untouched, guaranteed. A selfie destination. If, however, I wrote "Sturgeon Is A Breadhead", it'd be gone by morning, quietly erased, of that I have no doubt. Because Scotland is currently a burning dogshit bin, culturally and politically.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Rizla on September 08, 2021, 07:18:23 PM
She's the living embodiment of Holyrood's only idea of how to communicate with the people. An endless sewer-spray of couthiness, a patronising highland doll squirmy "biscuit-ersed" shortbread tin tongue in cheek Rabbie-Burns-in-wayfarers earnest smugathon. Them and BBC "hahahahahaha" Scotland. I can't take it any more.

This sort of shit. "Gie's Peace". No naw, "gie's" a country that doesn't have the worst drugs death rate in europe and child poverty statistics that'd make a tory blush, you clueless technocratic fucking centrist lying moneyspunking cunts.

BBC Scotland, the channel is an amazing white-elephant overreaction to the question "STV does national and regional news output, why can't you?".

The BBC decided they would go one better than that and release a whole new channel with 32x of the budget of the now-defunct STV-2 (which did quite a bit of the aforementioned news). That coming along, and a change of guard and direction in STV meant STV 2 got binned, mission accomplished. Ironically since the BBC needed to suddenly fill this new channel with Scottish content, STV Productions were more than happy to take their money.

Rizla

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 08, 2021, 07:34:07 PM
BBC Scotland, the channel is an amazing white-elephant overreaction to the question "STV does national and regional news output, why can't you?".

I'm yet to be convinced it isn't some sort of psy-op, for or against what I am not entirely sure. Possibly to simply dispirit and depress those foolhardy enough to tune in.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Rizla on September 08, 2021, 07:37:27 PM
I'm yet to be convinced it isn't some sort of psy-op, for or against what I am not entirely sure. Possibly to simply dispirit and depress those foolhardy enough to tune in.

It totally is, it's more dispiriting to hear how bad you are in your own accent

"top news - well the 'facts' say that Scotland is doing quite well in education/health/employment/whatever (presenter rolls her eyes) but even if that is true (rolls eyes again) then it's in spite of what the "Nationalists" (never the Scottish Government you'll notice) is doing, not because of it....here's some people from the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems to tell you that Scotland is shite (they all smirk, presenter smirks). So, in summary, don't ever forget, Scotland is shit, your culture is shit, you are Scottish so you are also shit, you and your country just aren't capable of not being shit so best just accept that and let the grown ups take care of everything for you. Night night and please, don't forget, we really are utterly inadequate."

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Rizla on September 08, 2021, 07:37:27 PM
I've never watched BBC Scotland channel's news, but its endless stream of archive-based documentaries are ok. Plus comedy repeats and Beechgrove. What more do you want?

Definitely agree about the influence of Creative Scotland and its groupthink though. If you have a big government agency handing out cash and prizes in a small country, it's probably inevitable there'll be jobs for the boys and something verging on corruption, especially after 14 years of SNP rule, but it's still dispiriting how there's almost no opposition to the SNP's vision of Scottish nationalism. The Traverse theatre in Edinburgh, for instance, did some inventive critiquing of Gordon Brown but fell silent after that. There used to be a much more internationalist and wide-ranging cultural outlook, exemplified by the likes of Richard Demarco (still alive but very old), but Scotland is currently disappearing up its own arse.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 08, 2021, 10:06:27 PM
I've never watched BBC Scotland channel's news, but its endless stream of archive-based documentaries are ok. Plus comedy repeats and Beechgrove. What more do you want?

That kind of screams 'white elephant we need to fill with something' though doesn't it? Would you enjoy these things less if they had been dumped into iPlayer for a fraction of the cost and the money reinvested in making actual programmes rather than running a linear channel?

TrenterPercenter

Seems like a good thing and 12 grand well spent...you know in that it is trying to stop people from dying.

derek stitt

Quote from: Rizla on September 08, 2021, 05:14:59 PM

This Is Scotland. This is what they sell back to us, the mirror they hold up to us.

https://youtu.be/f85KpnxCYks

HELP MA BOAB.

How far away are you from having to recite that poem before you start work in the morning, dressed up as either Fingal or Bella Caledonia too no doubt. Blimey, I always thought the thing about taking the piss out of yourself  was that you were at least aware of self mockery and not taking yourself overly seriously. Nowt wrong with being proud of where you come from and grateful for being born in a good country but, this type of sentimental jingoism is infantile and hinders moral development. Of course when I dress up as a crusading Knight on St George's day is not the same thing and am quite prepare to go toe to toe with anyone who says England does not have the best ponds in the world.

Also, Janey Godley is fucking terrible.

holdover

Can't stand her but was surprised to read that she was a Young Conservative back in the eighties.

Rizla

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 08, 2021, 10:23:00 PM
Seems like a good thing and 12 grand well spent...you know in that it is trying to stop people from dying.
It didn't cost 12k, the point is she was paid that much for her part in it.
I don't think they're that bothered about people dying tbh.

idunnosomename

Quote from: holdover on September 08, 2021, 10:54:21 PM
Can't stand her but was surprised to read that she was a Young Conservative back in the eighties.
does make you think a lot of her current politicking and self-promotion isnt really that virtuous. oh I don't know. I try to stay out of Scottish politics. but it does seem her SNP support stems from simplistic identarian narcissism than any sort of genuine campaign for social equity.

oops.

beanheadmcginty

Whenever I see her name mentioned I always assume it's that old lady who fancies chimps.