Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:42:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast 2: The Sequel

Started by Petey Pate, March 16, 2023, 12:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

QDRPHNC

Update from Tim:

QuoteEmergeny Statement

Good Afternoon and Thank you to all who attended the Emergecny Hei Network Seminar this weekend in Portland Orgeon.  As many of you know I was part of the Platnium Leadership team that made AmatoCom 2024 Largely a big success except for a major unplanned incident that occured near the end of the Convenchion.  I was assaulted by one of our minor employees for no reason and I assume that he is now being arrested and if not I must wonder if The Sand Bernadino Police and DA are also in cahoots.

BritishHobo

Captain Z

I'm caught up now and still find plenty of great laughs along the way - and I thought last year's Series/Oscar Special with the VFA bus and hidden dashcam footage was very clever - but they so often leave me feeling frustrated with the number of seeds that seem to be planted then never returned to.

I often find some of the fan theories that develop along the way more exciting than what we actually get. I was anticipating the Dodge Charger to have been used as the getaway car in Matt's murder, especially with the dodgy bag in the trunk (and was expecting Tim to reveal a gun in the glovebox after making a point of opening it), G Amato palming it off on Tim to get rid of evidence/implicate him. I was expecting the Mark news to be related to the mysterious car that pulled up behind Tim in episode 10 (preparing to pin him against the truck?), where G frantically waved it to stop. I'm resigned to these things never being mentioned again by now, like in the wedding special where it was heavily suggested Tim and the pastor were getting inappropriately close.

I like the characters of Axiom and Manuel but really never need to hear Empty Bottle again at this point. I'm absolutely gutted that they can't break away and have ended up back in Dekkar. Feel like Amatocon Idol should have allowed the bands to perform a song of their choice (Ride With The Devil vs Empty Bottle), with Ax & Manuel winning to add to Tim's meltdown.

The ending was so rushed I'm not sure if we're supposed to believe Amato did arrange the killing of Matt or whether Tim was so drunk and angry he just accused them to be vindictive. More seems to have happened to advance the story in that Reddit report than happened in the special.

A negative-sounding post, but overall still 4 bags of popcorn, and a kettle from the set of the Ma & Pa movies for Gregg.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Captain Z on March 19, 2024, 01:51:26 PMI was anticipating the Dodge Charger to have been used as the getaway car in Matt's murder, especially with the dodgy bag in the trunk (and was expecting Tim to reveal a gun in the glovebox after making a point of opening it), G Amato palming it off on Tim to get rid of evidence/implicate him. I was expecting the Mark news to be related to the mysterious car that pulled up behind Tim in episode 10 (preparing to pin him against the truck?), where G frantically waved it to stop. I'm resigned to these things never being mentioned again by now, like in the wedding special where it was heavily suggested Tim and the pastor were getting inappropriately close.

I know where you're coming from, but I also think that's one of the things that makes the OC universe feel so natural, in that there are hints of things, and loose ends that don't get tied up. The bag in the trunk was very intentional, but I like that they left it as a potential puzzle piece for us to mull over. Maybe next season they'll reveal that it contained the shooter's clothes (should we just say it was Joey at this point?). Or maybe it'll never be mentioned again.

There was another really interesting detail in that marriage special, when Toni says that Newman is her ex-husband's name (unbeknownst to Tim, who has promised to take it when they get married), but it's buried under crosstalk. I thought we were going to get some plot about Tim marrying her to help get rid of his debt, but the name issue would mess up his plans or something.

As much as I dislike reading the OC subreddit, it can be very good for picking up on these very small details that happen during the chaos. One interesting detail someone noticed (although I haven't gone back to check) is Toni smiling towards the end of the latest special, when she picks up Joey's cup (so she can get DNA?). Also Axiom tried to steal Tim's bottle of tequila, but I don't think there's any mystery there.

One thing I did go back and check however, is the observation that when Tim is being punched by Joey, he screams like Jan Skylar.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: Captain Z on March 19, 2024, 01:51:26 PMI like the characters of Axiom and Manuel but really never need to hear Empty Bottle again at this point.

Disagree! "I'm like an empty bo-ttle - come on everyone, join in!"

...but I would enjoy more songs. And Manuel should do another rap like at the end of "Fill Me Up Doctor San" from the Wendy Kirby times.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 19, 2024, 02:48:57 PMThere was another really interesting detail in that marriage special, when Toni says that Newman is her ex-husband's name (unbeknownst to Tim, who has promised to take it when they get married), but it's buried under crosstalk. I thought we were going to get some plot about Tim marrying her to help get rid of his debt, but the name issue would mess up his plans or something.

I thought that was just funny because he's making this big gesture to take her name, but it isn't even really her name.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 19, 2024, 02:48:57 PMOne interesting detail someone noticed (although I haven't gone back to check) is Toni smiling towards the end of the latest special, when she picks up Joey's cup (so she can get DNA?).

Think this was just to show she's back on the booze. When she's not sober she's vulnerable to coming back into Tim's influence.

Ferris

Just got tickets to see Neil Hamburger who's visiting the east coast in April. Lovely stuff.

QDRPHNC

Nice one! I was just looking at tickets for his Toronto show today. I'm on the fence, mostly because Major Entertainer is opening for him again. Although last time I saw him here, Mark Proksch did a surprise set, but I don't imagine lightning will strike twice.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 28, 2024, 12:47:03 AMMark Proksch did a surprise set

!!!

Was it the actor Mark Proksch or was it the character Mark Porks, gifted impressionist?

Quote from: Ferris on March 28, 2024, 12:09:30 AMJust got tickets to see Neil Hamburger

We saw him a couple of years back and he really is bracingly unpleasant in the flesh. Have a great time!

QDRPHNC

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on March 28, 2024, 07:46:58 AMWas it the actor Mark Proksch or was it the character Mark Porks, gifted impressionist?

Somewhere in-between, imagine K-Strass attempting stand-up. Very deadpan. Paraphrased from memory:

QuoteYou know how people are always saying "Oh I don't like to complain"? But it's like grandma, all you do is complain, it's like cancer, cancer, cancer.
[audience laughs]
Uh ... but really though, it was nice to be able to spend those last few days with her.

I decided to go ahead and get tickets for the Hamburger show. What We Do in the Shadows is currently filming in the east end, the Hamburger show is in the east end, so fingers crossed Proksch might show up to see Gregg and I can continue with my plan to make best friends with him.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 28, 2024, 01:23:46 PMVery deadpan

This sounds great, I didn't know he did solo stage stuff. Thanks for the tip. Did you see his hapless-yoyoing-man character back in the day? Doing incredibly stilted spots on local news, and not being able to do a single yoyo trick. He's so good at making things awkward :)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on March 28, 2024, 02:20:35 PMThis sounds great, I didn't know he did solo stage stuff. Thanks for the tip. Did you see his hapless-yoyoing-man character back in the day? Doing incredibly stilted spots on local news, and not being able to do a single yoyo trick. He's so good at making things awkward :)

I think that was K-Strass?

QDRPHNC

Yeah, K-Strass is the yo-yo guy. Never saw him back in the day, only found out about it when I first saw Mark on OC and got curious and where this enigmatic man came from.

Edit: Just read on his Wikipedia that he used to open for Neil Hamburger as K-Strass back before OC, so my comparison was dead on.

Interview about the origin of K-Strass:

QDRPHNC

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 28, 2024, 12:47:03 AMNice one! I was just looking at tickets for his Toronto show today. I'm on the fence, mostly because Major Entertainer is opening for him again. Although last time I saw him here, Mark Proksch did a surprise set, but I don't imagine lightning will strike twice.

At dinner with friends*, got asked to go to a play next week**, but said no because I'm going to Neil Hamburger***. Turns out one of my mates is a massive On Cinema-head and bought tickets then and there along with a few others who decided alright well we'll see what the fuss is about**** especially as we were supposed to go to a play last month but it sold out by the time we were all looking at tickets***** so it turns out what was going to be a one-man trip to a comedy show is now 6+ people******.

I mention this only because I am now upgraded from "looking forward to it" to "really looking forward to it" and not because it makes me look tremendously popular and socially adept and there is no ulterior motive.

...I am proper looking forward to this now though.

*Because I am so popular
**Because I am so popular
***Because I am too popular
****Because I am so popular
*****Because I am so popular
******This is due to my draw, because I am so popular

Ferris

Rewatching the series on the basis of that dinner/provision of recommendation.

The third episode, Time Heidecker just cries, in character, for the whole thing with no explanaion. As a comic choice, that's hilarious and you have to have some serious belief in your audience that they'll come with you and want to know what is happening.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Ferris on April 13, 2024, 01:51:50 AMAt dinner with friends*, got asked to go to a play next week**, but said no because I'm going to Neil Hamburger***. Turns out one of my mates is a massive On Cinema-head and bought tickets then and there along with a few others who decided alright well we'll see what the fuss is about**** especially as we were supposed to go to a play last month but it sold out by the time we were all looking at tickets***** so it turns out what was going to be a one-man trip to a comedy show is now 6+ people******.

I mention this only because I am now upgraded from "looking forward to it" to "really looking forward to it" and not because it makes me look tremendously popular and socially adept and there is no ulterior motive.

...I am proper looking forward to this now though.

*Because I am so popular
**Because I am so popular
***Because I am too popular
****Because I am so popular
*****Because I am so popular
******This is due to my draw, because I am so popular

I think what it really is is that nobody actually wants to go to a play so leapt on the chance to get out of it.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Ferris on April 13, 2024, 01:51:50 AMI mention this only because I am now upgraded from "looking forward to it" to "really looking forward to it" and not because it makes me look tremendously popular and socially adept and there is no ulterior motive.

I'm not as popular as you, but I am bringing along one friend who has never experienced Neil Hamburger before, so he'll be going in cold, so to speak.

Mrs. Q is not a fan of Tim Heidecker, but she gave OC a go. She made it to about halfway through season 2, but it just didn't take. Probably a good thing she threw in the towel before the first oscar special.

Ferris

My wife has no interest at all, and my go-to alt-comedy friend is out of town so I was happy enough going on my own. This was an unexpected bonus though I think two people are also going in cold, so we'll see how that works.

trabuch

I have one friend who gets Neil Hamburger. I'll let you decide if that sentence needs a comma.

Tarquin

Quote from: Ferris on April 13, 2024, 02:15:01 AMThe third episode, Time Heidecker just cries, in character, for the whole thing with no explanaion. As a comic choice, that's hilarious and you have to have some serious belief in your audience that they'll come with you and want to know what is happening.

I went to it as I'm a huge Neil Hamburger fan and thought the first two were OK but a thin joke, then that episode completely sold me on it.

Really enjoyed the Oscer special. Joey P is a wonderful addition to the cast. G.Amato is fascinating. The Shakespeare speech was the closest I've got to understanding him. He's obviously a devious Mafia boss but he also loves art, hence his siding with Greg and wanting to buy a sandal for $6,000.

Loved Joe E's constant rowing with T.Amato. Been waiting years for Joe to unleash on the fucker (and then to row back and attempt to find middle-ground).

Last paragraph on The Sweet's byzantine Wikipedia page:
On 06 March 2024, it was announced that the current members of the Sweet would headline Amatocon 2024: a Three-Day Business and Learning Summit Presented by The Amato Group during the weekend of 08–10th March.

QDRPHNC

Just got back from the show. My friend flaked so I took the boy. I liked Major Entertainer much more in the smaller venue. Hamburger joke of the night:

Spoiler alert
Knock knock.
Audience: Who's there?
Luke.
Luke who?
Look up "Steven Tyler" and "statutory rape", you'll be amazed at what you find.
[close]

Ferris

Was not convinced by Major Entertainer but he had properly won me round by the big finale of his set which was so enjoyably mad I was laughing like an idiot.

Hamburger on in 10 so we'll see!

Ferris

Just got home - Hamburger was brilliant. Couple of duds but such a receptive audience he was dancing.

Loved the material, bootlegged it for myself (sorry Greg) so I'll listen again but immediate reaction is the vitriol really made it work. Enjoyed it immensely.

QDRPHNC

Glad you enjoyed it. Wish he did longer sets. We didn't get a dance, but he did open with a nice song.

Ferris

Should point out the dancing was figurative, he remained his anti-comedy self throughout.

Legendary! Le-gen-daaary!!

QDRPHNC

QuoteThe following is an exclusive report from Lucas Gibson Brown.

According to executives at Hei News Network, Hei Network President Tim Heidecker is expected to officially lunch an official inquiry which will lead to an idictment of several members of The Amato Group in connection with the murder of Matt Newman on February 12th, 2024.

Heidecker claims to have "significant and full proof evidence" witch will indicate the Amato's as the crimnals behind, not just the murder of Mister Heidecker's former step son, but also many other criminal deeds which is illegal in this county.

The annoucement and official charging and iditement is expected to take place LIVE on The HEI Network some time tomorrow.

This is a Developing Story.

BlodwynPig

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 24, 2024, 01:40:13 AMAccording to executives at Hei News Network, Hei Network President Tim Heidecker is expected to officially lunch an official inquiry which will lead to an idictment of several members of The Amato Group in connection with the murder of Matt Newman on February 12th, 2024.

Why aren't i hearing about this on the bbc? CNN? The telegrapph? mainstream corporate news has been capturesd. All in cahooots with the Rat amatos