Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

2024 music

Started by lankyguy95, January 12, 2024, 03:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankyguy95

Thought it'd be cool to have a general 2024 release thread. For Friday album release day especially — I know I'd like to read what new stuff people are checking out every week. There are always plenty of interesting albums in the end of year threads that haven't been mentioned otherwise.

What albums are you looking forward to/hoping for this year? Anything you've heard already?

Sebastian Cobb

So far looking forward to new albums from Newdad and Erika De Casier.

Pink Gregory

New Big Brave album coming in April.  They've got a song from it out but I gonna save it.  Wondering when they'll slow down because they've had a pretty consistent run of releases.  They were trying to make him out of My Disco (who was their tour support as Aicher) join the band but it seems like that didn't come together.

the ouch cube

The long awaited and I think technically posthumous Sleepytime Gorilla Musuem record

Sebastian Cobb

I'm also eagerly awaiting the NewDad lp due at the end of the month.

lankyguy95

Hammock and Yellowcard is not a collaboration I saw coming.

Kankurette

Looking forward to Nadine Shah. Not enthusiastic about Sleater-Kinney.

jonnyunitus

Hoping that 2024 will finally bring the new Sky Ferreira album but not holding my breath

Pauline Walnuts

Sky Ferreira fans are suckers for punishment hoping for her new album.

(new album is likely to be called Masochism, just in case you didn't get my BRILLIANT joke there)

lankyguy95

Same for that The Cure album that Robert Smith has for five years been saying is pretty much done.

kalowski

I'm looking forward to Tiger's Blood by Waxahatchee which is out mid March.

lankyguy95

New Nils Frahm album out on the 1st March. Sounds like he's returning to his intimate, in-the-room piano style for this one.

https://nilsfrahm.bandcamp.com/album/day

Steve Faeces

New Sleater-Kinney album out tomorrow.

I've always had a soft spot for them (based mainly on the first five albums) despite finding their recent live shows disappointing and not having really enjoyed an album as a whole since All hands on the bad one, which the band themselves openly dislike.

lankyguy95

Whether to bother listening to the new Green Day album...

The Mollusk

Quote from: lankyguy95 on January 19, 2024, 08:49:20 AMWhether to bother listening to the new Green Day album...

I had considered this because people are saying it's a return to form or whatever, but the previews I heard on an Insta ad the other day just sound like the more polished "good" stuff from albums like Nimrod or American Idiot.

Their first four albums are dearly beloved to me and it would be nice to hear some good stuff from them again, so I might try it but I'm not overly optimistic.

Pauline Walnuts

I'm perched for the new Smerz EP and Meth Math albums.

Do the young people still say perched?

Famous Mortimer

A decent one has already been released - "Floral Forms and Subsequent Interactions" by Ian Hawgood & Wil Bolton. All the descriptions of it are new-agey sorts of things, but the album itself is a banger.

dontpaintyourteeth

Haven't heard it yet but there's a new Keiji Haino / Jim O'Rourke / Oren Ambarchi album out today, so that's nice innit andy?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on January 19, 2024, 06:10:00 PMHaven't heard it yet but there's a new Keiji Haino / Jim O'Rourke / Oren Ambarchi album out today, so that's nice innit andy?
The preview track on Bandcamp is a little too much at the "throw our instruments down the stairs and record that" end of improvisation for my tastes, but I'll give it a go when it's properly out.

fuzzyste

been liking all the new Smile tracks, going to the new album playback on Tuesday in Glasgow.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: fuzzyste on January 19, 2024, 09:08:22 PMbeen liking all the new Smile tracks, going to the new album playback on Tuesday in Glasgow.
NewDad doing St Luke's at the end of Feb if you fancy modern shoegaze.

Slowdive at the Barras the Friday before.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 19, 2024, 09:44:35 AMI had considered this because people are saying it's a return to form or whatever, but the previews I heard on an Insta ad the other day just sound like the more polished "good" stuff from albums like Nimrod or American Idiot.

Their first four albums are dearly beloved to me and it would be nice to hear some good stuff from them again, so I might try it but I'm not overly optimistic.

Never believe the return to form lie.

dontpaintyourteeth

best album since scary monsters

kalowski

I just heard the new Gruff Rhys single in Radio 6 and it's an absolute cracker.
Bad Friend, it's called.

lankyguy95

New Squarepusher album out on 1st March.

New single video comes with a strobe warning. Haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Sebastian Cobb

New Arab Strap album announced for May.

Shit artwork again, but still, better than the last one I suppose.

lankyguy95

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 19, 2024, 09:44:35 AMI had considered this because people are saying it's a return to form or whatever, but the previews I heard on an Insta ad the other day just sound like the more polished "good" stuff from albums like Nimrod or American Idiot.
I listened to half of it and that's essentially what it is. It's a "return to form" album a la Death Magnetic that I think people will fade on after a year.

The last one was abhorrently bad and this isn't. That's all I can muster.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 12, 2024, 08:45:23 PMI'm also eagerly awaiting the NewDad lp due at the end of the month.

It's ok, I like a couple of tracks, Change My Mind & Nightmares, but overall it's a bit generic. I'll keep an eye on them to see where they go next.

I'm quite liking Cabane's Brûlée, which features vocals from Tunng's Sam Genders

The F Bomb

Fuck's sake isn't there enough music by now

phantom_power

Fingers crossed for a new Joanna Newsom album this year. She is playing some live shows so it is a distinct possibility