Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:57:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Can stand-up still be funny?

Started by thepuffpastryhangman, July 14, 2006, 05:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: "actwithoutwords"kitson can't win according to your argument

Mr Daniel Kitson isn't here so far as I'm aware. And it's not actually about Kitson, it's as simple as 'if you're a comedian, you expect people to look at you, by default your appearence is part of your act, it's unavoidable', if that's what you mean by saying "kitson can't win", you'd be right.

Quote from: "actwithoutwords"don't specify what on earth wouldn't constitute a 'contrived persona'.

I actually did, ie. buying the most readily available items, which in our case are items mass produced for supermarket and cheap high street stores. Kitson obviously puts in no small effort when selecting his wardrobe.
Kitson's behaviour is far from practical. The hair and beard is not remotely suited to night after night working on stage under hot lights. It's not about comfort, it's about image.

Quote from: "actwithoutwords"what could he possibly wear that would satisfy you?
I don't care what he wears. I believe it's ultimately naive or blantantly obstructive of posters who deny Kitson's appearence is anyway part of him nurturing his public image. Unless of course, Kitson is entirely naive of this himself, which seems an even more ludicrous option. He just happened to stumble across the clothes he wears, and forgets to shave or have a hair cut.

Quote from: "actwithoutwords"do you not wear the uniform of thepuffpastryhangman limited?

Yes, there are reasons behind the choices for every item I wear. I'd be more accutely aware of this if I was expecting people to gaze at me on stage. Personally I'd go for loose, light clothing, easy care, easy wash, because that leaves me, and whoever is watching, freer to concentrate on the aspects of the performace I and hopefully they consider important. It'd be purely practical, in much the way virtually everyone in warm American states seems to wear shorts, t-shirt and sneakers at every available opportunity.

Quote from: "actwithoutwords"why the cynicism that looks for fault in everything he does?

I was genuinely hopeful re enjoying his work. It's not cynical to suggest someone knows what they're doing when get dressed. I could equally ask 'why do the worshipers find perfection in all he does?' There's never seen anything I've 100% enjoyed, nothing, no one, no where, and I suspect this is true of everyone if they're thoroughly honest.
And wouldn't there be even less point in waving our poms-poms as we high kick 'Go Kitson! Go Kitson! Ra! Ra! Ra! ?
Lovely day we're isn't it? Oh yes it's lovely. Oh isn't it just? Oh yes, lovely it is. You're right it's a lovely day. Such a lovely day. Oh yes, it's such a lovely day...

Quote from: "actwithoutwords"why does everything have to be some kind of self-conscious image-building exercise?

I wondered that too.

Quote from: "actwithoutwords"'conclusively destroying an argument' tends not to involve unjustified supposition that you appear to have cut'n'pasted from arguments about daniel kitson

The "unjusitified supposition" relating to Kitson is coincidental. My argument was, and is, that everyone knows exactly what they're doing when they decide to look and dress a certain way, any one with a modicum of self-awareness that is.This is magnified for people who expect crowds of people to stare solely at them hundreds of nights a year.
Quote from: "actwithoutbirds"getting the gander of kitson fans up

Is this a reference to the dove from above or the crow from below?
Or have the card carrying members of the Official Mr Daniel Kitson Ltd Amalgam Of Unique Individuals Who Refuse to Be Pigeonholed Club Society and Collective appointed a male goose as their mascot?
'He was great tonight wasn't he?'
'Oh yeah, the gander really unites the crowd'
'I know, I felt unclassifable until the gander appeared'.
'Me too, but now our differences just don't matter'
'Kitson changed my life'