Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:42:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Still Game

Started by dot, July 19, 2005, 11:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murdo

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"
Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"
QuoteAre you lot paying attention out there? Helloooo??!!

I can't understand it myself. I've seen it quite a few times now and I've sadly concluded that it's shit. Every attempt at humour in it is realy terribly done- this even even worse than World Of Pub. It's not even as if you have to be Scottsh to understand the humour..there's nothing to understand; I just found it all dull. A badly made program with rubbish acting.
Yup, I'm from Scotland and me and my friends all think it's shit. I actually hate this program with a passion, and Chewin' the Fat is just as bad. Terrible, terrible, terrible. I really cannot understand anyone getting excited about this to be honest, it is as you say awfully acted and the writing is disgracefully bad. I hate this idea that the Scottish media and the writers of this thing have, that says this show is some kind of accepted 'Scottish Humour' that everyone loves, and that if you don't get it it's because you don't understand Scotland etc. It's bullshit. I hate it when people use that defence for a program, that you have to be from a certain background or whatever to find it funny. So, unless you are from a certain background you aren't allowed to make any kind of criticism? What an irritating thing to say. Anyway, ignoring all the Scottish stuff this show is just bad.
I had to stop myself posting here earlier on. I just hate this so much. Karen Dunbar is the worst comedian in the history of comedy, her own show which she was given for some reason was actually physically painful to watch.
I agree with A Passing Turk 100% over this shite. It's a grinding chore having to listen to the plebs I work with recite each new episode ad nauseam until the next one.

And from Chortle
QuoteSCOTTISH comedy star Karen Dunbar has landed a job hosting the 9.45am-11am slot on BBC Radio Scotland from July 3.
I mean for fuck's sake, I'd ask who the Scottish comedy star is sleeping with but surely that can't be it.

Bert Thung

Yes, another jock here that doesn't find Still Game funny. It's just another young people swearing show, expect their dressed as pensioners this time. All the dialogue is like

Ya big bastard ye
I'm no a bastard ya big cock by the way
Away and stick it up yer hole, where's my walking stick?

Feeble, feeble stuff.

What advantage it has, is it's made by The Comedy Unit. The only people working in the Scottish media that can make professional looking comedy. I'm not trying to start a mediocre is the new genius thing, honest, but if you compare their output with anything the BBC Scotland inhouse has done recently (Feel The Force, Velvet Soup, Revolver) it's comedy gold.

But still, it's just another example of the Glasbolisation of the Scottish media.

SOTS

On the last week of term when people stopped bothering coming to school, we got to watch a couple of episodes of Still Game as a treat. Bleak. I don't really hate Still Game. I just reckon that this type of scottish humour always stays the same and watching it as a scot, I find it highly cringewrothy at times.

Bleak though. Watching my teacher sitting sniggering, sometimes it was just at the pointless swearing. It was like when they let them watch Little Britain as an end of term "treat" in one of my friend's classes. She sat there with a face on wondering why they couldn't show some Python.

We've yet to be treated to a hour's worth of Karen Dunbar yet. But who knows, last week of term next week. I can see the teacher holding up the dvd with delight now.

Bert Thung

I feel this thead could turn into a support network for Scottish people who don't find Scottish comedy funny.

I hate how this shit gets described as our culture. Well, it's not mine, it's Glasgows. I'm represented by the worlds unfunniest WPC's.

ProvanFan

Still Game relies on the cheeky patter a fair bit but not to the extent that it makes me cringe or ruins the show. There are some good stories and the occasional great line.

That guide in the whisky distillery in this week's episode with the slightly x-files face, I saw him as part of a Legs Akimbo style drama group a few years ago when I was at school. They did a play on dangerous driving and he was the careless young driver (sitting on a chair holding his arms out, they didnt have many props) who hit another car, resulting in a dead girl. I remember enjoying his accent as he insisted "she was a lurner, she pulled out in front of me".

ProvanFan

I did cringe at Feel the Force, though. Well, the advert for it.

Jemble Fred

You know, I didn't hate the one episode of FTF that I caught. I didn't feel any great love for it, but it was very dense with jokes (real jokes!) and had some very well set-up physical comedy and obvious allusions to Laurel & Hardy and so on. It definitely should have had a live audience, it would have underlined just how traditional it was and helped to make a better atmosphere throughout each show.

A million miles away from the tepid likes of Green Wing or most recent laughless 'sitcoms only in the vaguest sense', anyway.

jennifer

Erm... last night's episode wasn't one of the best. Trust me.

Mr Grue

I suspect the birthday episode last night was supposed to go out first. Makes sense to start the series with a birthday, one of the gifts was a hip flask, which might be the one in the whiskey tour, and there was a gag about someone maybe getting food poisoning from eating chocolate. Probably waiting to make sure there were no Cadburys fatalities before putting it out.

Just conjecture, natch.

"Geoff Capes would have shat up his back."

(EDIT: I bow to spelling pressure.)

jennifer

It was very sweet. Not belly laugh spectacular, but warm and fuzzy.

Navid giving Mina the flowers and calling her an arsehole made me cry a bit, though it was probably a bit meaningless to anyone who's not been following for 5 series. Ah well fuck em, they should have been.

Mr Grue

Yeah - I was expecting something to spoil the moment and it didn't, which was really affecting.

jennifer

They've always been very good at that, not blinking before the audience does.

If you go right back to the Edinburgh play the series is based on, there's some fantastic moments of pathos that get shattered without  in any way cheapening the moment- they're sort of roaring gasps of relief that things aren't going to get any more sad rather than 'aaaah, here's a funny!' gags. These are the 'Sooth Africa' moments, there's quite a few in series 1 and the last bit of series 2.