Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:20:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Battery packs

Started by touchingcloth, March 03, 2024, 11:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

1 - if a battery pack is X mAhs and your phone's battery is Y mAhs, should the pack be able to charge your phone completely ~X/Y times?

2 - if a battery pack is used wirelessly, does that change the above?

3 - if a battery pack has 4 LEDs, would you expect that each LED represents (X/Y)/4?

tl;dr: battery packs often seem to run out before they should, or at least seem it based on how quickly their LEDs go out.

touchingcloth

Edit: seems like the answers are
1 - no, there's an efficiency factor, so the expectation is ~(X/Y) * efficiency
2 - yes, for the worse
3 - unknown, but it's (X/Y) * efficiencywireless

I'm still a little surprised that a 5000mAh bank charged my 1900mAh phone from 0%-96% over ~2hours before running out. The LEDs seemed to last roughly 1/4 of that time.

Blumf

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 04, 2024, 12:22:22 PMI'm still a little surprised that a 5000mAh bank charged my 1900mAh phone from 0%-96% over ~2hours before running out.

There's also the question of trust in the supplier of the battery pack to truthfully label the real mAh. Ultimately, you'd need a testing setup (load simulator + amp hour meter) to truly gauge what you've got.

Also make sure they're using mAh, not mWh, which is one of the ways they can use to trick you.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Blumf on March 04, 2024, 02:12:52 PMThere's also the question of trust in the supplier of the battery pack to truthfully label the real mAh. Ultimately, you'd need a testing setup (load simulator + amp hour meter) to truly gauge what you've got.

Also make sure they're using mAh, not mWh, which is one of the ways they can use to trick you.

It's labelled in mAh, and I bought off a high street chain that's based in Portugal and setup as a Ltd company on the assumption that capacity fuckery and the chance of the battery exploding unexpectedly are lower that way than buying from an Amazon seller (though no doubt it comes from the same district of Zengzhou if not literally the same conveyor belt).

It doesn't list any tech specs beyond that, and apparently some manufacturers will publish a separate number for this. I'll have to try via a cable next time to get a rough gauge of how inefficient wireless charging is, and/or take my phone out of its case first.

canadagoose

Don't forget your phone is using power when it's on, too, so it's not just a straightforward 3000mAh from one thing to another. If you try charging it when it's off you might get a better idea.

touchingcloth

I took the power it would drain in the charging time into account. Even with that, I reckon the efficiency must be something like 1/3 if the stated capacity of the power bank isn't just an outright lie. Cable charge, next!

seepage

When I wanted another Anker power bank Amazon said there was a newer model so I got that. Exactly the same power spec as the original but it's twice the size. It has an additional usb-c output but I'm struggling to see how that justifies all the extra bulk